Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Southeast cp society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good here! I like all the suggestions. If we do implement the required articles thing, then the editors would be involved only in say, making a table of contents, picking the articles for submissions, editing a little where it is needed, listing the current seeds, and putting a little news about the society and what it is doing at the moment. They would also write about upcoming events. We also need to figure out how often the newsletter will come out! I would suggest newsletters coming out every month or two, but small ones, not to many artivles, just the seed bank, news, a few pics, etc. Then we could have a quarterly newsletter with the required articles and such. Bigger.

my $0.02!

Thanks,
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or we could just have the newsletter be a fluid thing where articles trickle in and are posted as they are ready, after passing through the editors. That could be an advantage to it's being Web-based.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with pt on the newsletter format and frequency (or lack thereof -- as articles come in, and online). I think regular "news" items -- seed back listing updates, upcoming meeting announcements, etc. -- should be hosted in a separate area of the website (like breaking news on the main page, e.g.) and sent directly to the webmaster for posting. If you want the listings edited, I would be happy to do that (checking spelling, etc.) Articles would be sent through me for editing, and then I would send to PT when they're ready).

I think breaking the newsletter into its components makes sense. An area for longer/more detailed articles from members, and a separate area for news and updates that members NEED to know about (new seeds, new plants offered, upcoming meetings or other events).

For example, I often give away plants (and sell a few when I feel greedy and/or poor). I would be happy to post available plants to the SECPS website for members only, as well as offer a discount to SECPS members when I sell and even donate a percentage of the proceeds to the society (what a guy, I know! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ).

Speaking of upcoming events ... Carl Taylor and his wife, Sherry (long-time CP growers) in Tennessee have posted to the ICPS listserv an informal get-together at their house in September (9th through 12th). They used to do this when they lived in Upstate New York (the stories are legendary). There will be speakers, plants to see and probably swap, camping, story telling, not much sleeping, etc.

These are the kinds of opportunities (and even within the boundaries of our new society) that should go up on the site without waiting for an editor or a newsletter, no matter how frequently its published.

We could also -- perhaps on an annual basis, collect the best of the submitted articles, format them for PDF and print/publish.

Ok, enough rambling for now. If the newsletter (I'll try to think up a catchy name this weekend) can work as above, then I submit my name for consideration as newsletter editor.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Carl Taylor and Sherry issue, I just heard! Yes, this should be on the site. Ptfreelander, time to update! (You might wan to put it on news, calendar, and meetings) I think I will contact them to see if they are interested in the society, or if they could see if anyone coming to their get-together would be interested. Maybe that'll help spread the word! Anyone know their email?

jlechtm- love the new newsletter idea, different sections would help!

Thanks,
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that time-sensitive material should not be part of the newsletter, but instead be on the "news" page of the site. Anything of great importance will be on the main page.

As far as seeds go, those will always just be listed on the seed bank page and nowhere else, because then there is only one location to keep up to date.

I think that perhaps we should have a "plants" page which includes the seed bank and any plants offered for giveaway/trade/sale by society members.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea pt! That would save us another webpage devoted to sales/trades!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, by the way, has anyone here been to the atlanta botanical gardens? I was wondering what they were like, what they had, and if it was worth a visit.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Atlanta Botanical Garden is amazing! I practically live there.

They have a "children's garden" where they have a pond-side display bog. It's worth seeing.

In addition, there's a collection of 5 or 6 large conservation bogs, each set up to represent the CP and bog species population in various parts of the southeast.

The children's garden also has mini-bogs (pots) and both bog complexes have pots of Dionaea.

A mountain bog on the woodland-trail has a few S. jonesii.

You can also look into the conservation greenhouse full of Sarracenia and see the tissue culture lab through a large viewing window.

They also have a room full of Nepenthes (the largest public display in the country, I believe), and there are usually one or two pots of Pings inside the front conservatory entrance.

Heliamphora and highland Nepenthes are on display in the technologically-advanced and chilled highland house (it keeps night temps in the 50s when Atlanta's having 95 degree weather). If you look on the SECPS Web site gallery, you'll see just a sample of their Heli collection.

In addition, if you're at all into orchids, they have an amazingly large collection in three greenhouse rooms.

It is certainly worth a visit.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA