Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Southeast cp society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that sales with percentages to fund web, newsletter, etc. are a great idea.

I also agree with the comment about meetings being held to reflect populations, but I think Atlanta is certainly a hub because of the ABG and I know of at least 6 other people in the Atlanta area, so there are certainly more if they would come out of the woodwork.

Atlanta-dwellers should take advantage of the ability we have to grow CP using tap water! The ABG itself uses city water, as do I, and the results are stunning.

Florida is so far south, it may require it's own hub.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok ... no bragging about pure tap water (incredibly jealous here with the nasty Potomac River water I would have to use (if I didn't collect rain water)).

I think that groups of members (or chapters or planning areas or whatever you want to call them) could spring up anywhere. There are a number of growers in the DC area. There are a few in Richmond, and some inbetween. There are more in Raleigh, some in Charlotte, lots in Atlanta, a group in and near Talahassee, lots in Tampa/Orlando, and more further south in the Miami area (I think).

Does there have to be a limit on the number of groups/sub-groups? I think this would be self-limiting, and each group, no matter how small, could benefit from shared services (a website, fundraising abilities, communications/newsletters, help with programming (ideas, a video or book loan library, a speakers bureau, etc.).

I'd love have a forum where I could post, for instance:

"Hey, next Saturday I'm repotting 300 Sarracenia. Anyone want to help? Volunteers get first crack at divisions, leftovers, etc., as well as pizza, beer or the non-alcoholic beverage of your choice".

or:

"Green Springs Garden Park is looking for a speaker on CP for a kid's day program in Alexandria, Virginia. I can't go ... anyone can?"

I did what I did in DC before much in the way of web fora, I think this format would help a great deal (it was all e-mail and phone way back when [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] ).

Each group gets its own forum folder or folders, and so on.
    Growing CP since 1975. Succeeding (more or less) since 1990.

Sarracenia & Heliamphora Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds perfect to me. Simply put, there is a large resource network and organization, but local-level activities all over the coverage area make it possible for anyone to attend any event they want to.

I think that perhaps we don't need local chapters at all, and rather everyone throughout the society, as you gave an example, would bring events and trips to our attention. Then whoever was able to respond, could.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that your advice should be taken seriously, because you've done the CPS thing before.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, wonderful ideas! I've been thinking about the "chapters" or whatever you want to call them, and I have decided that we should definitely go with the new idea, ie one big organization that has a web page/forum and newsletter, but that it shouldn't really be divided as such. Maybe find out what areas have the most, and establish central meeting places there, but that's about it! More of jlechtm idea, more independant! I would like it though if it wouldn't get toooooo local, as it destroys the idea of the SECPS! Maybe we set up to hubs for where we think the most people are, and a headquarters (that really does nothing) Then everything else could be handle locally, but the hubs could have meetings twice a year (larger than the local ones, obviously) and the Headquarters maybe an annual meeting, something big, like the NECPS is having! They got Black Jungle Terrarium Supply to host them, and have a bog walk, meeting, sale, silent auction, speakers, and big discounts at the store. We could do this once every year or two (I'm going for two, unless there's a lot of interest), so it doesn't get old. The hubs could have meetings one/twice a year, like having a silent auction, picnic, sale, speaker, or something like a christmas plant swap, etc. Then everything else would be left for the locals like jlechtm said. I agree, and this hadn't occured to me before! I like the idea of a forum with a main folder, and sections for the groups! It could be as specialized as you want! Woderful websites ptfreelander, I think you're going to be on the website deign with kirk and wesley! http://www.geocities.com/ptfreelander/webdesign.html I like the first one! Does anyone know how to design a good forum likew we mentioned? If so, we need one!

Thanks,
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could just continue to use Terraforums if no one knows how to build one.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone -

I wish you the best with your new society. I'm from the NECPS - our society is about a year and a half old.

As for logos....we waited until a year later and then our president, John Phillip Jr., made it into a cool contest where the winner gets a CP gift certificate and the first item of anything made with the logo for 2 years.

When we first started, we were not sure how often to meet. We tried once a month - and it has been great! Everyone really looks forward to the meetings, and lots of people show up every meeting. We haven't had meetings in the summer months since many people are busy - if we did I'm sure folks would still show up. Our group has made lots of money from member donated plant sales at the meetings - members can choose to donate all proceeds or a split - like 50:50 member/society. We don't have a mailed printed newsletter yet - it's an email version which works well. John Phillip Jr., also had the great idea of a monthly "Outstanding Plant" award voted on by members. Winners get a very nice certificate and the plant picture goes on a special section of the website.

It was a little crazy, but really really fun & exciting when we had our first NECPS annual Show last October. Our group was just 10 months old at the time. We had 3 professional CP vendors, NECPS contributed plants, and a ton of plants on display. For our first show, it was a great success and we drew visitors from 5 states! It seemed like everyone who came also walked out with purchased plants.

It's nice to know what your members specialties are too. We are very lucky to have a real Cephalotus expert in our ranks and our members have learned a lot from him. Everybody oooohhhhs and awwwwws when he brings in a plant for display. I never thought too much about it, but people just love the big flytraps I grow. I have given 2 presentations on growing them and things that I thought were sort of common knowledge many people were very interested in. So, find out who is good at what, and have a little talk/demo at each meeting that members & newbies can look forward to.

Post your meetings as many places ( like garden centers ) & web forums as possible. A lot of people read the GardenWeb forums - even though they may not post replies.

You guys can see some of the events and meetings and photos we have had from our website, www.NECPS.org

Let me know if I can be of more help!

WildBill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, WildBill. Any advice you can give us is great, because your society is already so successful. What you said in your post is good to think about.

That said, anyone on here who is interested should post what their "specialty" if any is.

I would say mine is Sarracenia, but that's probably because they grow so well in this part of the country (natural habitat basically).

We could use a Heliamphora expert. Growing them in the southeast is a huge challenge, and the ABG has an incredibly technologically-advanced greenhouse that cools to 55 - 60 degrees at night in the middle of the summer. Surely they can grow in the southeast relatively cheaply.

Look at that - I've already started the kind of content that could be part of the SECPS.

We need to get moving on this project!
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast