Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Southeast cp society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have time at the moment to read everything here completely, but a just browsed through what has been said and had some thoughts. Pardon me if i repeat what's been said or misinterpret.

Important things that have made the NECPS run smoothly:

1- A president with connections to local park, botanical, outdoors societies and people, etc.

2- A group of elected officers with well defined duties. In the unlikely event of a major disagreement this will minimize damage.

3- A regular income due to member dues (i think dues are a good idea, incidentally. Anyone is welcome to come to meetings, but to get in on special things that come along, one has to be a dues-paying member), and some kind of silent auction/raffle on member-donated plants. You'll want to have a budget of somekind so that you can kick things up a notch in the future when, for example, you'd like to bring in a noted speaker and need an honorarium.

4-An attempt to make meetings organized. I mean to have a specific list of things that happen at each and every meeting. If meetings begin to decay, attendence will drop.

Hope that helps.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I agree, we should get moving. I think that a website should be first I will get us www.SECPSonline.org! After that comes a forum to post our events and discussions at, and then comes the newsletter, with member articles and other contributions! Then we would maybe have an SECPS meeting, one of the big ones! So, lets get a website and forum first! I think I will get the domain and hosting in the next one or two days, just so we can start workng on it! Am I correct to say ptfreelander, kirkscoastal, and welsey will be working on it when it's up? If so, I don't know much about websites, so you'll be on your own there, except for design and suggestions, obviously! Thanks for your help! The Utah CPS gave me a good forum design program site, it's http://www.phpbb.com/, but I couldn't get it to work, uhhh, help? Mayb someone else can get it working... I think it's free, and it looks easy to set up, if someone could get it running! If someone could try, thanks!

I agree with ptfreelander and wildbill on the society! Great ideas!

Thanks,
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that a Web site should be first, because once it's up we can direct people to it and then they may be interested in joining.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and then we could have more room to work on other stuff. Again, does anyone have something to contribute to a (for now) online newsletter? I think we could feature a members collection every once and a while, so if you think you have an impressive one, send us some pics and descriptions! (to my email) Would anyone like to design and/or be the editor of the newsletter?

Thanks,
    Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe jlechtm said he could publish one. I don't know what he can handle, but (Adobe?) PageMaker and Microsoft Publisher can both turn out decent newsletters, unless we want to make it online for now (as the NECPS does).
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've come up with a concept home page for the SECPS, available here.

Please respond with ideas and thoughts. None of the links work because I only designed the home page - most pages will look pretty much the same, and until a final design is chosen I do not want to make more than one page.

Alternatively, design 1 here could be used exactly as is (except, of course, for logo changes and such), if that's what is wanted.

I just need feedback, so if anyone has good ideas or criticism please tell me!
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like it! Maybe pages for info on the society, contact info for the webmaster, president, etc, maybe have a page for trade lists and SECPS sales, how to join (with a printable membership sheet), a page for our journal, a links page, etc. Other than that, I'd say we should put the logo design on it in the top/center, once we have the headquarters, hubs, etc figured out. Like the format a lot, just fill it with info on the site, awesome pics, a good SECPS forum, with sections for events, discussion, etc, and it'll be awesome!

Thanks, getting us hosting tommorow at crosswinds.net (pro plan)
    www.secpsonline.org is what it'll be!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone has a great image for the mainpage, please link to it or email it to me.

Also, we need a mission statement. If anyone has ideas, post them!

A question for people from the NECPS - how much are your dues? I feel that since you are off to such a great start so fast, we should follow your model to an extent.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast