What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southeast cp society

Wow, awesome. Sounds like a place that would be good for a meetings or such. Do they sell any of their plants? That would be cool.

Thanks,
Craig

Yes, I had already thought that it would make a good meeting place, the only problem being admission. However, other societies (daffodils, camellias, orchids) have shows there annually, and I wonder if, once established, we might do the same. We could have plant judgings and invite vendors from around the country. In any case, it's something to think about down the road.

They only sell plants at their annual plant sale, and carnivores aren't offered.

I'll toss in my dice as being interested but right now I am worthless for contributing anything other than being a member. Maybe at a later date I can pick up some duties though

A new member, sounds awesome! What does that bring our total up to on people interested in becoming members? I'm not paging through this, but if someone is up to reading through all of our stuff, it'd be nice to know our total. I'm guessing 15-20.

Anyway....
Pt: how much is admission at the atlanta gardens?
Also, I saw on the website....
President -
Treasurer - Craig
Secretary -
Seed Bank - (buster1)
Journal -
Webmaster - Patrick Triggs

Looks good to me, and it reminded me of some things....
first off, buster1- are you now our official seedbank editor? if so, we need your address and email to be added to the website for seed donations, contact and such.

jlechtm- you were our volunteer for the informal, web-based newsletter. Is that official? If so, same as buster, we need your info for the website.

there's some other stuff, but I forgot it......

Thanks,
Craig

Sent you a pm with the info. I don't know about a secretary, but I think the president slot should get a name next to it

As of April 1, 2004 admission is: $12 for adults, $9 for seniors, and $7 for students. Children under 3 are free.

It's gone up a bit because their costs have, too, but I have a membership there becasue I go so often and it's certainly cheaper.

They're also having a parking crisis right now. They're fighting with the surrounding areas to get a hidden parking garage built, but it's meeting resistance.

Anyone reading this forum should realize that they don't have to help form the society to be a member. I think that's a misconception that some have had.

We do need members! Please visit our site at http://www.southeastcps.org.

- Patrick

Buster, thanks for the info, it'll go up soon. As for the president slot, we have determined that I can be the president. Tax-exempt or not. So far I'm the only nomination, so either nominate someone else or vote or something!Speaking of that, it reminds me that we might not need tax-exempt status if we're below taxable income. I'm going ot see what that level is for an organization like ours. Anyone have any idea how much we might take in a year? Also, thinking of places to have meetings and such, we wnat to pick places closest to the most people. In your next post, please give your location.

Thanks,
Craig

Hey,

If anyone has images of their carnivorous plants or pictures they've taken at gardens or in the wild, PLEASE send them to me so I can fill in the SECPS galleries.  You'll be given all proper credit for the images.

My location is Atlanta, GA.

Thanks,
Patrick Triggs

PT- did you get my photos? I have some more, not sure where though, of my plants, as well as UNCC's and Crump's.

Just to let y'all know, we now have a plant bank! Let's get some plants and/or seeds in there for the SECPS! Buster1, if we are having you as seed bank operator, we need your name and email address, along with your home address for listing on the site! I'm putting a parrot pitcher plant up on plant bank, just to let everyone know. Again, my president speach- ELECT SOMEONE!!!! PUT A NAME DOWN IN YOUR NEXT POST!

Thanks,
Craig

I nominate Craig president, above all other positions, because it was HIS idea to start this whole forum that kicked off the SECPS in the first place. We may have all thought of it at one time or another, but he actually spoke up. So I think it's only fitting that he would be president of the society.

If you check back a couple posts you said the info I sent you would be up soon. But anyway, here it is again just in case.

Stan Vangel
2503 Samoa Circle
Kissimmee, Florida 34741

dipsyspawnofhell@yahoo.com

I'm going to have a few packets of D. burmanii seeds in a few days to contribute to the seed bank. By the way, until we get a reasonable supply of seeds we may have to rethink that when you donate so many packets you get free ones that is posted on the website.

Yeah, ten is a little much, until it gets bigger, we can lower to, how about, somewhere between 2 and 5? If that sounds good we can get that up. Thanks also for the burmanii seeds!

Thanks,
Craig

Did he mean it needed to be fewer or that we shouldn't have the offer at all yet?

I had been thinking about it and I actually meant we shouldn't have the offer at all yet until we get a reasonable number of packets in stock and at least a bit of variety. If someone donates 50 packs of D. capensis and wants the only packet of D. (x) we have, it could get to the point where we only have one variety of seed to offer. But I think this needs to be something that we (everybody) decides on as a group. By the way, how is the plant bank going to work? Is it basically just a "classified section"?

Well, sort of. It's like a classified section for plants that are mainly geared toward society members. Profits from it should be partly given to the society if its posted there, unless it's a giveaway. That's the goal, to have an advantage of joining be getting low cost plants whose sale helps the society! And yes, I agree with buster on the seed bank thing, we might be able to allow people to get free seeds, but not until we have a wider variety of seeds in the bank. We also might put a limit on how many free seeds you could get. Like maybe one every two months, or one every month or something, for every 5 packets you donate. Those numbers mean nothing, just a rough outline of what we might do. Open to suggestions though!

Oh, by the way- the # of potential members is 17 who have posted here, and 2-3 who have posted on the listserv. We also have Mellichamp at UNCC interested, and Crump. Totalling out at 21-22 people so far. Spread the word!

Thanks,
Craig

Okay, I will remove the free seeds offer from the site.  I agree with the possible variety problem right now.

Yes, the plant bank is essentially a classifieds.  It is not centralized like the seed bank.

We need to come up with a good way to publicize ourselves, but we need to make sure that the information on the Web site is complete and accurate first, so that it can be a reliable source for prospective members.

- Patrick

Hmmm... I see that interest in the SECPS's creation has dwindled, leaving only a few poor souls... undefined All you other southeasterner, start posting again! We could use some more ideas, some new minds at work here. I've run out of things to respond to! So, I'll have to suggest some things soon. ahh...

Thanks,
Craig

Sorry that I have'nt been posting.I kinda of got side tracked.With out me reading all the posts can you tell me if we:

1.have a website up and running?
2.how many members/people interested?

Thanks,Jerry

Back