What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southeast cp society

as for publicity, maybe we could get the ICPS to advertise us in there newspaper thing (for some reason the name escapes me now)

Unless someone else is interested, I can run the seed bank.  I already have cold storage devoted to plants here at my house, and I know that a lot of people (including me until we recently bought a new fridge and I got use of the old one) have to sneak their plants and seeds into the back corner of the fridge while no one is looking!

- Patrick

Actually I'd be interested. I live too far away from Atlanta (8hrs) and North Carolina (more than 8 hrs) to attend all of the meetings so being an officer is out. As Spec said an officer should be at all the meetings. My computer skills are minimal, so I would not even attempt the newsletter. I want to be in on the ground level of getting this society started so I figured seed bank was the only option left. I can organize seed packets (I do for my own seeds now) and can keep track of who ordered what and so on.

That'd be great.  All I would need is a relatively-frequent update as to what is in the bank.  For instance, if you decide that on, say, Saturday each week, you will package orders, then on that day you can send me an email with updates for the site's listings.

- Patrick

Wonderful! Buster, you're hired. So now we have a seed bank manager. Next, newsletter editors, and a treasurer. No one has voiced any opinions on this for a looooong time, so I'm electing myself treasurer, until someone else expresses interest. If this is final, then we can start sending in our dues, paying for the website, and listing our members online!

Thanks,
Craig

And since nobody has voiced an opinion you should probably elect yourself president too. Where do the dues go, and what is the next step?

I wouldn't go so far as to elect myself president! It's and idea though:;): Dues would go to the treasurer, so people can be registered and listed on the website. As I am the temporary (possibly permanent) treasurer, funds should go somewhere I can handle them. I guess out options are checks, cash, maybe paypal or something. Not sure quite yet. I you want to sign up immedietly, then cash is your only option for now. We need to set up our own financial identity soon. Also, I was checking on some things, and I was wondering, do we have to become a non-profit organization if our annual income is below taxable levels? What is the level for an organization like this?

Thanks,
Craig

I don't know what they levels are. As soon as someone is sure of the officers, their contact info, and such, I'll update the Web site.

Also, I think I may have some VFT seeds for the bank within a week.

Patrick

I'm back (fwiw) ... lots of business travel lately, which is (a) why I haven't posted and (b) why I'm reluctant to volunteer to be newsletter editor.

Also, I think the position needs further definition. I would be willing to edit submitted articles. I am not willing (nor able at this point) to fill a newsletter myself when there are no submissions. If I'm just editing submissions, and pt or someone else is posting them to the web (where I think our newsletter belongs, personally) it doesn't sound like much work (for me ... can't speak for pt
smile.gif
). Ads would be web ads, and (again) handled by our webmaster.

So I'm sorta/maybe volunteering if the position is defined pretty much as above, and articles are edited and posted as they come in, with no set frequency.

How's that for definitive?

Oh, and I forgot to mention -- I am willing to write a few articles a year, and I think the idea of requiring some sort of submission on a regular basis from members (photos and/or articles) is a good idea.

As for dues? I agree -- LOW, and supplement the society's income with plant auctions, sales, etc.

my $.02

I think running the newsletter that way will work. Plus if you're the only one maybe-perhaps-sorta volunteering I think you should have the most say in how the initial format should be. Can we get a spiffy name to call it? Clicking on a button that says newsletter just sounds so boring. I have an idea for an article, I'll try to get motivated and start on it.

Posting the newsletter/journal will be no problem for me.  I also think that an online format is a good idea.

In keeping with this, there isn't any formatting to do, unless the intention is to have a downloadable *.pdf or something like that.

All good here! I like all the suggestions. If we do implement the required articles thing, then the editors would be involved only in say, making a table of contents, picking the articles for submissions, editing a little where it is needed, listing the current seeds, and putting a little news about the society and what it is doing at the moment. They would also write about upcoming events. We also need to figure out how often the newsletter will come out! I would suggest newsletters coming out every month or two, but small ones, not to many artivles, just the seed bank, news, a few pics, etc. Then we could have a quarterly newsletter with the required articles and such. Bigger.

my $0.02!

Thanks,
Craig

Or we could just have the newsletter be a fluid thing where articles trickle in and are posted as they are ready, after passing through the editors. That could be an advantage to it's being Web-based.

I'm with pt on the newsletter format and frequency (or lack thereof -- as articles come in, and online). I think regular "news" items -- seed back listing updates, upcoming meeting announcements, etc. -- should be hosted in a separate area of the website (like breaking news on the main page, e.g.) and sent directly to the webmaster for posting. If you want the listings edited, I would be happy to do that (checking spelling, etc.) Articles would be sent through me for editing, and then I would send to PT when they're ready).

I think breaking the newsletter into its components makes sense. An area for longer/more detailed articles from members, and a separate area for news and updates that members NEED to know about (new seeds, new plants offered, upcoming meetings or other events).

For example, I often give away plants (and sell a few when I feel greedy and/or poor). I would be happy to post available plants to the SECPS website for members only, as well as offer a discount to SECPS members when I sell and even donate a percentage of the proceeds to the society (what a guy, I know!
smile.gif
).

Speaking of upcoming events ... Carl Taylor and his wife, Sherry (long-time CP growers) in Tennessee have posted to the ICPS listserv an informal get-together at their house in September (9th through 12th). They used to do this when they lived in Upstate New York (the stories are legendary). There will be speakers, plants to see and probably swap, camping, story telling, not much sleeping, etc.

These are the kinds of opportunities (and even within the boundaries of our new society) that should go up on the site without waiting for an editor or a newsletter, no matter how frequently its published.

We could also -- perhaps on an annual basis, collect the best of the submitted articles, format them for PDF and print/publish.

Ok, enough rambling for now. If the newsletter (I'll try to think up a catchy name this weekend) can work as above, then I submit my name for consideration as newsletter editor.

On the Carl Taylor and Sherry issue, I just heard! Yes, this should be on the site. Ptfreelander, time to update! (You might wan to put it on news, calendar, and meetings) I think I will contact them to see if they are interested in the society, or if they could see if anyone coming to their get-together would be interested. Maybe that'll help spread the word! Anyone know their email?

jlechtm- love the new newsletter idea, different sections would help!

Thanks,
Craig

I agree that time-sensitive material should not be part of the newsletter, but instead be on the "news" page of the site.  Anything of great importance will be on the main page.

As far as seeds go, those will always just be listed on the seed bank page and nowhere else, because then there is only one location to keep up to date.

I think that perhaps we should have a "plants" page which includes the seed bank and any plants offered for giveaway/trade/sale by society members.

Good idea pt! That would save us another webpage devoted to sales/trades!

Oh, by the way, has anyone here been to the atlanta botanical gardens? I was wondering what they were like, what they had, and if it was worth a visit.
Thanks,
Craig

The Atlanta Botanical Garden is amazing!  I practically live there.

They have a "children's garden" where they have a pond-side display bog.  It's worth seeing.

In addition, there's a collection of 5 or 6 large conservation bogs, each set up to represent the CP and bog species population in various parts of the southeast.

The children's garden also has mini-bogs (pots) and both bog complexes have pots of Dionaea.

A mountain bog on the woodland-trail has a few S. jonesii.

You can also look into the conservation greenhouse full of Sarracenia and see the tissue culture lab through a large viewing window.

They also have a room full of Nepenthes (the largest public display in the country, I believe), and there are usually one or two pots of Pings inside the front conservatory entrance.

Heliamphora and highland Nepenthes are on display in the technologically-advanced and chilled highland house (it keeps night temps in the 50s when Atlanta's having 95 degree weather).  If you look on the SECPS Web site gallery, you'll see just a sample of their Heli collection.

In addition, if you're at all into orchids, they have an amazingly large collection in three greenhouse rooms.

It is certainly worth a visit.

Back