What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bonsal american brand play sand cp safe?

Hi
i have a bag of washed, Bonsal american brand play sand
was wondering if this type would work for cp's?
thx for any reply

-steve

Baisic rule of thumb when choosing wether the sand is suitible for Carnivorous Plant Growing-
1) First make sure that the Sand is all a uniform white color!  That means that any mix of black, and browns are a big no no!  Some colors of pink, orange, or light color things mixed in sometimes is OK.  Just think of it this way, does the sand look like it's made of 100% pure quartz?  If so, it is good enough for your plants
2) To double check on this, go home, and take a small bag.  Fill it up with any type of vinigar.  I use White Vinigar for testing purposes, now fill the bag with a some sand.  Shake out all the air bubbles that could possibly confuse you in determing.  Then wait for a few minutes and check your sand.  If there are no bubbles whatso ever then it's fine.  If bubbles are rising like crazy then the sand is NO good!  Sorry, go find yourself another bag at Walmart.
3) If your not lazy like me, wash your sand once or twice to get all the minerals, dirt, and bad water out.  I don't just because I'm lazy, but in the long run this could prove well worth the time.

Some places that currently carry this White Sand-
-Meijers (Also carries some Big Neps at this time too!)
-Walmart
-Lowes possible?...

Places that don't carry it (Correct me if I'm wrong)-
-Home Depot
-Ace Hardware

Finally if you are still in doubt click on  this link for a pic of suitable sand-

Suitable Sand

Add pool supply companies to the list, they market coarse silica sand as "pool filter sand" Beware of Walmart pool filter sand, it is not pure quartz. White is right.

Back