Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux vs. windows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trashcan You are completly right. Im just saying that It is complatable with linux and windows Used to be able to "host" the printer over the network to linux users who use samba. And samba is indeed reversed engenered. Howerver howcome when I changed to Win XP on the "host" computer The Linux computer can no longer use the printer. In Windows XP all of the options are exataly the same. Even the buttons are the same. The"feed back" messages are the same. Perhaps the windows are a litle rounder as a product of better rendering. But if nothing appears to change. How come Newer versions of windows cannot "host" the printer to linux machines. It is illogical. Enough said with the printer though; I appolagize beacuse It is a bad example. I gues my ownly real problem with windows is that somtimes the behavior of the operating system and how it comunicates with it's users is illogical. And I push for open source software because it takes advantages of stadards that many people can learn to understand while microsoft must remain secretive about the workings of it's products inorder to prevent pirating and wide scale copywrite violations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrak, Windows XP has problems networking via SMB with even Windows 98 computers.. I don't think it is an intentional breakage aimed at Linux. And I understand that that wasn't your main point, sorry for dragging it out.

That said, I most definitely respect your opinion, and I think the conclusion of your paragraph was very insightful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Divided by zero?? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] --Sorry, just a quick comment--
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new XP box in our group office sometimes won't let any of the other computers connect to it- W2K, Macs, etc. It doesn't seem to have any trouble going the other way, though.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of operating systems, I'm looking to buy a new laptop..

I've narrowed it down to choices:

IBM Thinkpad T42p
    and
    Apple Powerbook 15" (superdrive). Apple link may be temporary.

Choices, choices, choices. Suprisingly, I'm actually leaning towards the PB because IBM refuses to give me a student discount, despite attending a prominent (imho) CS school.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uuh someone sum up the arguments for me, im lost
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umm, well, why don't we see if we can get this moving again (just a little). My main gripe with Windows is when it's illogical. I think Alex made some points on this above... That and drivers... DRIVERS. Upon putting in a new motherboard: Linux boot= couple of clicks, hit enter a few times, ok, done. Windows boot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] 4 reboots just to get a few of the drivers working, and you don't want to defy the "restart your computer now" prompts, if you do, it means trouble. Well, A few weeks later and I still don't have internet connection in Windows: "No, we don't want that driver, that one would work too well, etc"... I've told Alex (Terrak) some of the strange things that have happened in Windows, some of my favorites include, adding new lines to the system.ini so that I can't boot, corrupting my mouse driver (once again, with no hardware of software changes). I know that every OS has its iffy points, but Windows just seems to have so many more... And another favorite that I think we can agree on, Windows registry... Yup, that says it, withing a few years of use, you pretty much NEED to clean install, otherwise all of your system files get bogged down. Sure you can keep your autoexec tidy, keep your boot programs to a minimal, but it really only works for so long. Well, just thought I'd bring up some points, hopefully get this thing going again.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a little off topic but I have a master/slave combo going. Anybody have any advice on how to handle and setup this. It is already running for some time now, just curious.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast