Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux vs. windows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In response to one of EST respones from a long post awhile ago I desided to create a new topic to acuratly describe what was being discussed.

In my own experience Linux has worked just fine. I have had a few problems but most are related to the fact that microsoft is a complete monoploy and engineers some of its software to completely destroy standards. For instance I have a HP printer hooked up to my sony VAIO which hosts the printer on the network. Windows XP uses some weird naming system for the print quene which is non-standard and can't be used by linux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, this topic. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I don't think this is Windows' fault at all. Hewlett-Packard designed the printer, and they wrote the driver for it. Windows XP has a different print mechanism than what most Linux distributions use (CUPS I believe), but this is a given, since they are completely different operating systems.

If Hewlett-Packard wished to do so, they could release drivers for your printer so it would work properly on Linux. Otherwise, you have to rely on someone in the Linux community to make one for you (unless you have to be skilled enough to do so yourself).

It is a bit disingenous to say that your HP, which does not even claim to support Linux (check the operating system requirements on the box) printer does not work because of something Microsoft did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This problem is not a driver plroblem because if I hook the printer up directly to my machine that runs linux or a a machine running somthning other than Xp I have no problem. What I believe the problem is is that Microsoft changed somthing. Normaly I would set up the printer as a printer on samba server, which now no longer works. However this is just one specific problem I have had with Windows. I started this hoping a broader discusion to open up about other people experiences.
    --edit--
    Let me clarify my problem. If I have a Windows XP machine host the printer on the network (which it would then show up as a printer hosted by a samba server in linux) Linux can see the printer but cannot use it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup, Trashcan, this one again... BTW, did you ever read my last post on the last thread of this nature? I dunno, I don't feel like arguing it (in general), I just know that my personal preference is stability, reliability, security, affordability (free), power, and love ( [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] ), that is, Linux. Hey, Trashcan, you aught to have a chat with my old man on the subject. But I have to agree, Alex, you're pushing it there... Anyway, we'll see how this developes (or doesn't).
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry for not being clear on my problem. I'm just trying to spark a debate.

PS I personaly belive that Niether OS is(overall) "better" but that they are just different and the choice of which OS a person uses should be based off of there needs and experiences.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say I can't blame Micro. at all though. Really they found a niche and filled it and filled it. Supply in demand is it and the public demands to have ease of use so they supply it. For the most part I don't think many advanced users use Micro. and this is not a concern to Micro. Linux is relatable to say....an ultrahighland Nep. You don't just jump into it, it's something that deffinitely has it's advantages but is not for everyone. You move to this after you understand the workings of the simple.
    No, I don't think it is Micro's fault either. If you buy an HP (IBM/Micro. compatible) it is understandable that it is not Linux compatible. Just like there is seperate packagings for Micro. compat. and Apple/Mac compat. Linux is another system with it's own requirements and own limitations.
    I will say that you will not find nearly as many "anythings" for Linux but that goes back to the supply in demand and the majority of people don't demand Linux anything so, the stores at least, don't carry these things.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't have any problem stating my point of view. I use Linux occasionally, all though I've never been impressed. I'm using Fedora Core 2 right now.. I probably wouldn't have been using it this long if it hadn't trashed my boot partition so that Windows no longer works (fixing is on the mental TODO behind a million other things). I'm not complaining on the Linux forums - bugs happen to everybody. (Edit: forgot say not, hah)

Terrak: It sounds like a problem with you Samba setup. There are probably Linux drivers for your HP anyway (depending on how old it is and what model it is). Check out this page: http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/

FYI, Microsoft did not write or have any involvement in Samba (the clone of Microsoft's SMB/CIFS), so you can only hope that things interoperate correctly. SMB is not a standard, I believe it was reverse engineered by the Samba team (could be wrong though!).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Redhat Linux Halloween Release ('94), Mandrake 5 or 6, and have been fiddling around with Gentoo and Knoppix (which is absolutely amazing for a system-on-a-disc). I had some substantial problems with that first Redhat distribution trashing an already weedy hard drive, and have generally avoided the complete abandoment of Windows because there was always something i had to have (a particular game, more often than not) that wouldn't run on Linux. I've used Irix, Solaris, every flavor of Windows up until 2K, and even a Mac (which ironically has caused me the most lost work due to instability of all the above, believe it or not), and i have to say that in spite of my open source sympathies, W2K has been my OS of choice for 4 years now. Of course, if it hadn't been given me free as a student (read: brainwash the next generation) promotion, i would have given Linux a more serious chance.

That's not to say that i don't appreciate the many advantages of Linux... i just haven't had time to get over the learning curve to the point where the customizability and geek appeal grab me.

With the advent of a decent MS Office alternative in the form of OpenOffice 1.1 and a simultaneous release of UT2004 on Linux and Windows, I feel it's finally time to ween my family's home network and myself off of windows. And i'll do it... as soon as i get the time. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]) I think we'd do well as a networked society (speaking of the world, and the USA in particular) to diversify our OSes. I firmly believe Linux and BSD are a superior option to Windows in the majority of the cases, but unfortunately we are all so ingrained in our Microsoft mentality and comfort zone that we resist change for the better. There will always be a place for Windows, and always a place where a *nix will be a better choice. The most urgently important thing is to do away with the computational monoculture we have created.

Just my very candid thoughts.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast