What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whipcord cobra lily

Hey, Anybody know what a whipcord cobra lily, It looks like a sarracenia, but it has a "whip" coming out from the opening

I think that you're thinking of just the cobra lily, Darlingtonia californica. It is in the Sarracenia famila, Sarraceniaceae. I've never heard it called a "whipcord", only a tongue, which is how it got the name cobra lily.
smilie4.gif
smile_l_32.gif

That's a Jack-in-the-Pulpit, i think. In any case, that's obviously a flower or fruiting body, not a modified leaf-trap.

That is a jack-in-the-pulpit which is just a wonderful woodland wildflower. I have some in my garden.

Who told you it was a cobra lily??

That's one of the problems of using common names, they can always refer to more than one thing. This is certainly old Jack, a fine plant in its own right although not a CP.

I thought when I first saw it that I had discovered a new pitcher plant. I was very disappointed that something that hungry looking didn't eat anything. Still doesn't seem right.

There is a plant in Asia called the cobra lily, its RELATED to jack in the pulpit, but its not the same plant. That plant pictured is jack in the pulpit, though

Back