Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for better lights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both, and for general purposes I prefer the flourescents since heat build up is a concern with many of the species I cultivate. I use a balanced specturum bulb (Gro Lux) mated with a cool white. I change the bulbs every 6 months if possible.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ May 28 2004,8:52)]the only thing I don't like with flouresecence is their intensity, 150 watts of flour. compared to 150 watts of MH is night and day. MH puts out my lumens then flour.
    Actually, i was pointing out that the opposite is true for small wattage MH. By the time you consider the not insignificant ballast losses on the (almost always) magnetic ballasts used in MH and the temperature necessary for the bulb to function properly, lower wattages just can't compete in efficiency with modern fluorescents.

It's true that you can't fit as much light intensity over limited spaces with conventional fluorescents, but unless you're growing corals, i don't think that the light density is going to be a big factor in lighting decisions.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ May 28 2004,1:51)]I assume you're looking for T12 fluorescent lamps. If you are in the market for new fixtures, Home Depot has a very inexpensive T8 fixture with electronic ballast (no flicker and more efficient). There are also some good Philips T8 4100K bulbs sold by HD for $2/bulb.
    Yeah and it saves 30% of the energy or somethin' like that, so your long run average costs will go down...hehe economics... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Just plan how long you going to be into cps though... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12