What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T/c microwave sterlization?

How do you sterlize the media by using a microwave?  I've tried it in the past, but within 1 minute the media starts boiling and gets messed up.

Has anyone tried this method?  if so has it worked well and how do you do it?

P.S. - here's a website to get very carnivorous media- T/C media
Just type in Carnivorous in the search thing in the upper left hand corner

I totally would not suggest this microwave idea to anyone. The best way to staralize things is in a pressure cooker. They are readly available, and cheap. You can even find em on ebay. I just bought a 22qt. cooker for $30. (including shipping).

really jon???
smile_k_ani_32.gif
and I was about to buy one for 80 bucks! How much was shipping?

I also would strongly reccomend not using the microwave... doesnt work out well

tamlin mentioned to me that was a great way to sterilize medium. Now, were you using the microwave on high? I did several pots of small medium on powerlevel 6 for about 2 mins 22 sec (its easier to just type one number) and I have had no problems whatsoever. I do like the pressure cooker idea though...

ps, I also let mother nature wash it for me, over a long period of time before microwaving it...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ May 27 2004,9:21)]really jon???
smile_k_ani_32.gif
and I was about to buy one for 80 bucks! How much was shipping?
Actually, i double checked, the winning bid(me) was $26, and shipping was $17. Just do a search on ebay for "Pressure Cooker" and you;ll find some GREAT deals.

Back