What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So what is todays holiday called again

Memorial Day, here is a quick description.

Memorial Day is a holiday in the United States observed in late May. Previously designated Decoration Day, it was inaugurated in 1868 by Gen. John A. Logan for the purpose of decorating the graves of Civil War veterans and has since become a day on which all war dead are commemorated.

Andrew

Oh I thoughtit was 'vesak day', which you probably will never have heard of b4...its on wednesday (which is tuesday over at your place)
smile.gif

I can't remember. Victoria Day?
biggrin.gif

Well, at least you got it!  
smile_m_32.gif
  (These guys are goofy)

Thank you!

As a matter of fact, I think it another sad sign of our times that not many people recognize what this day is for - thank you for the history, Andrew.  For us oldsters  
smile_n_32.gif
  - our fathers served in World War II.  My grandfather survived "The Big War."  Maybe all these wars will just fade into history like the ancient wars.  We should not forget.  I think it makes us better people to remember that others have gone before us & made sacrifices for their belief in a better way for their fellow humans.  
I just last night watched 'Return of the King' again with my family & with the war for Middle Earth, it was very clear there, too.  
Anyone else, any thoughts?
This was sort of prompted by a statement made by a friend yesterday how there was a parade here & about 5 people were out to watch it.

I surely hope that Tamlin posted the question in jest. Of all people, I would expect him to know what Mem. day stands for.

Freedom is not free, and on Memorial Day, we thank all the brave souls who paid for our freedom. They payed for our freedom with their lives, and we owe them a great deal of gratitude.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe all these wars will just fade into history like the ancient wars.  We should not forget.  I think it makes us better people to remember that others have gone before us & made sacrifices for their belief in a better way for their fellow humans.  

While this may be true, ithere is i important diferene between ancent wars and WWII.
sad-smiley-013.gif

A Long time ago,  if you were in a military unit, the heads [of your unit] did not know your name, or care. there were no nametags and stuff. You were just another soldier. When you died, who you were would practacly vanish from the face of the earth. All to often the family wasnt told you died becsuse the officers didnt know which one of their men YOU were. Youd just be another nameless body to bury in a unmarked grave.

Today of course, all the people who died or went missing in WWII have their names engraved on that black wall thing, to be rememberd forever (or more literaly, untill the wall is so eroded by wind and elements as to be renderd unreadable, sort of like old gravetones
sad-smiley-013.gif
)

I think it is safe to say that Tamlin was just trying to see how many of "us" knew what Memorial Day is really all about.

The price of freedom is high.
Thanks to the thousands of guys who died defending it.

Did anyone else watch the WWII memorial dedication on TV?? I think they built a very beautiful tribute to all the WWII veterans.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks to all the veterans who made it home for their service, and to all the veterans who didn't for their sacrifice. Thanks.

-buckeye

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Casper @ June 01 2004,9:39)]I surely hope that Tamlin posted the question in jest. Of all people, I would expect him to know what Mem. day stands for.
Oh, he knew! Dry wit.

i heard the memorial was scaled down and simplified from the original desing

Back