What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing sphagnum

Does anybody have experience cultivating sphagnum moss? I have it sprouting here and there in pots, but would perhaps like to purposely propagate a potfull. (That's me, Mr. Alliteration)
smile_t_32.gif

Thanks,
John

It's hard to say the exact requirements, but here are the main points-
-Never let the Humidity drop below 60 or the moss will turn black
-Always mist the moss daily for better growth
-The temps should be around 65-75*

And with that they should become a weed soon!...LOL
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

It also needs bright light and keeping algae down is a huge thing since algae will grow faster it will quickly cover the moss.

Joe

I got some live LFS from Tony with a nep order I had from him. I grow mine in typical lowland conditions with lots of light and its growing at a steady rate, Not a weed yet but nice and steady

i got some from my order of CP from cooks, and i grew it with my seedlings. now, i have atleast 6 or 7 lil clumps of LS from since i started with 2
biggrin.gif

everytime they start a new clump, wait till it grows a liitle more than half the size of its parent, then u can seperate the 2. keep doing this, and youll have tons of it
smile_n_32.gif

Best wishes,
Hellz

Throw a bag of dried sphagnum in a tank...cover it with water, put it under lights or sun and in a few months you'll have a thick carpet of nice, green live sphag. I have a continously growing carpet of live moss in all my tanks. When I need some I just pinch a hunk off.

Let me toss in a word of caution here about words like "never" and "always". What works for one person, may not work for another. And many people here break all the "rules" and grow very nice plants. So when offering advice or suggestions, its much better to say "In my experience..." since no ONE method of cultivation works as a hard and fast blanket rule.

Hey Suzanne - can we pin that recipe? Just kidding. I'll give it a rest. But that IS a great way of cultivating Sphagnum.

Beats me how to grow it. I've had a tray of it for months now, and it's barely grown at all.
20040602-CP-Sphagnum.jpg
I wish it would grow better, because i'd like to use it as a potting medium.

Well the stuff on the left seems to have done ok!

looks like its spindly and reaching for mor elight. perhaps give it brighter light?
smile.gif

D muscipula, that looks good compared to my little clump. Mine's a bit paler, but I have started to employ some of these great tips already. I have broken off pieces and will vary conditions slightly with each one to see which works best for me. Thanks, everybody!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 03 2004,12:23)]looks like its spindly and reaching for mor elight. perhaps give it brighter light?
smile.gif
Hmmm, i doubt it. It gets as much light as my Drosera, and they all have a nice red hue.

The stuff on the right is a red species that was mixed in with the green and yellowish stuff in the middle and left. It hasn't grown nearly as well, so perhaps it does need more light than fluoros can provide.

How do ya'll give the moss enough light without cooking it? If i uncover it the low humidity will kill it, and covered it has to stay under growlights.

Back