What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the difference between

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have now heard both terms being used to describe what my D. anglica is doing. Also, how can one determine whether a new plant is coming from a sepal or a seed germinating from the flower pod?

Hi jimscott,

Vegetative apoximis was used but the correct term should be false vivipary. That's what I found out but what I don't know what the terms mean exactly.
confused.gif

Both the term "false vivapary" and "vegetative apomixis" are synonomous for a strategy of reproduction which does not depend on sexual recombination of gernetic material for reproduction (seed).  This includes simple branching and offsetting, as well as for modification of the sepal leaves into new plants.  I believe the correct botanical  term for referring to this this plants reproductive strategy would be to consider it as a "facultative apomict", meaning it uses both forms of reproduction.

Either way I get a new baby to take care of! Thank you for your help.

I thought  that false vivapary was when the pictures were fake and done on computer...opps  
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Back