Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternate energy sources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thread in the conservation forum has sparked the interest in my mind again. I am very interested in Alternate energy sources and have researched them in the past.

It is plainly obvious that we need a new source of energy. The oil crisis (which I predict to get better in the summer, just in time for the election) will ultimatly, and very quickly get worse, not better. Oil production, as in the refinement of crude into gas and other by-products, is currently at 98% globaly. It is not economacly feasable to open new refinerys in the US because of EPA laws, as well as treatys and legislation this holds true accross much of the world.

So, with that said, we will soon have to turn to a new source of energy. Solar energy isn't very feasible at its current state. Hydrogen production and transportation is extremly wastfull and ineficiant. Wind power doesn't produce enough power per acre of land taken up, and hydro-electricity is driven by the climate.

I do like the idea harnessing power from tidal movement. It is fairly constant, has un-told ammounts of energy, and is clean. The problem we have now is harnessing it. If anyone is familiar at all with the topic, in very simple terms hydro-electricity is formed by river water moving through a tunnel and turning a turbine. Why is it so difficult to do the exact same thing on a coastal scale?

P.S. Sorry about the spelling, done in a hurry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hydro electricity is not as efficiant in the long run(first of all). Second of all if you make a MUCH better energy machine, the government will kill you (I'm not joking either). Free energy is so VASTLY available you wouldn't believe.

First off, there's cold fussion (which has been done and can be done again), then there's aether, then you have anti gravity (which again, has been done and can be freely replicated).

But not to worry, we are at the peek of oil production and have no where to get more (haven't you noticed the prices of gas keep going up...hmmm...I wounder why...). Also, come December 21, 2012 we wont...ya know what, I leave that to the people to search for the answer to that on their own... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    LACPS Member
    \"Don't make me sic my targ on you!\" -Jonathan Passow
    www.mulletman.org <--VISIT MY NEW HOMEPAGE&#33;

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The following are some links to articles posted on slashdot, instead of posting the direct link. This is so you can read some of the comments made on the article(s) and get any secondary or tirtiary links form it.

Propane Vapour

Well... Sorta (batteries)

Algae as a source

Fusion Plasma Plant

Improved Solar Cells

POOP!

I find these all interesting because they are new developments, or changes in old ones. Hope that keeps you busy for a while. Lately, there've been a lot of alternative energy source articles, so it might pay of to check /. every now and then.

Edit-------------------
    Just read this
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]...First off, there's cold fussion (which has been done and can be done again)...
    Actually, one group claims that it's been done, it's been attempted MANY of more times to [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] no avail!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is another HUGE sourse of fuel but im not sure how you would tap into it as its quite unstable in its "natural enviroment" and it is...........drum roll please.......methane hydrate. i know its another one along the lines of fossil fuels but but there are billions of metric tons of this stuff in the earths ocean floors. in fact a current theroy is that an underwater earthquake somewheres in the north atlantic kicked enough of this stuff up into our atmosphere to kick us out of the last ice age(its a greenhouse gas). i do believe it was first "discovered" down in the gulf of mexico, it looks like ice, and is basically methane molecules locked in a "cell" of frozen water molecules that let go when pressures drop or temps increase. its formed either under great pressure or very low temps underwater(theres lots of it fairly shallow around antartica). it has tipped over oil platforms and its seemed to have been linked to some of the disappearences in the bermuda triangle.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon, I surely hope that you jest. Lets put to rest the Conspiracy theory stuff, I mean come on, the gov't has anti-gravity? The same conspiracy buffs say the us gov't is trying to take over the world with its millitary might, but they arn't going to use this marvalous anti-grav? Puh-lease.

Now, onto 2012. Are you seriously going to tell me that you are basing your thoughts on when the world will end (What is it this week? Shifts in the poles? No wait, the Mayans where astronamers, so its a giant comet right?) on the Mayan calender. Is it an astronomicaly important date? Sure, there is a neat alignment with the Milky Way and sun that will occur. Nothing more.

Why where we all supposed to die at 1/1/00 12.00.01 again? Wasn't the Y2K bug, although that was supposed to launch all the nukes in the world, it was something else, help me out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "there is another HUGE sourse of fuel but im not sure how you would tap into it as its quite unstable in its "natural enviroment" and it is...........drum roll please.......methane hydrate. ..."

Oh yeah, I remember watching something about that on the telly a long time ago... But didn't it combust when it reached a low enough pressure or something? Or am I thinking about something else. Furthermore, I dunno how easy it'd be to get that stuff off of the bottom of the ocean floor without making the Earth more of an oven than it already is (it's a greenhouse gas)... Hm, just a thought.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    *Hands Jon his official "Tinfoil Hat Brigade" membership card* Good thing I had one of those around... *shrug*, just goes to show that I've sent too much time of slashdot. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

----Edited due to clarity striking----
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like i said, im not sure how to take advantage of it. it does not cumbust at low pressure, its basically just an unusual form of normal methane produced in "extream" circumstances. its extreamly flamable but requires a spark to cumbust. the way global warming is going lots of the stuff is going to erupt out of the sea floor around antartica as the ice melts. its the cold not pressure from the deep sea that has allowed it to form there. also im not entierly sure we are totally to blaim for global warming. we may have speeded this round of it up BUT its part of the normal eb and flow of the planet. volcanoes spew hundreds of tons of greenhouse gases into the air every year(CO2 is a greenhouse gas in large quantities and is a large byproduct of volcanic eruptions).

as to the mention of the use of tidal energy, given what i understand of the current technology for it, you need a place with a great change between high and low tide. and the best areas for this arent neccesarily conducive to building, either do to extreams in climate or the remoteness of good sites.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast