Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost one of my three pots of S. alata for the NECPS Good Growing Contest yesterday while i was in NYC. I can't tell if the loss was due to birds or a roommate moving the whole tray of plants rather ungently across the deck (it has been moved, in any case). Of course, the paranoid in me wants to suspect foul play by a competing member, but if i think about it, nobody is going to consider me a threat, anyway. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Losing the pitchers of my N. aristolochioides x thorelii to a bird earlier this year irked me a lot more.

And then there was last year when a squirrel dug up all my pots of utrics. I still haven't figured out what's growing in the pots of pieces that i scraped back together.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,the ceph is doing good so far.I'll send you a banded as soon as I can.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, birds! Aggrrrrrgh! Responsible for much plant loss and in my case major ID confusion amongst the Pinguicula, Pygmy Drosera and VFT forms I cultivate. Always a joy to search for a plant for years, live your life around cultivating it and find some feathered sadist has used it in a nest. It happens all the time. Squirrels are almost as bad. WHY would they want to trample through my flowering Sarracenia? Believe me, I can relate, and WHAT may I ask you am I feeding my cat for? He lies there watching the depradation with nothing short of amusement. I am working on a plan involving bait, a one way tunnel and liquid nitrogen. I'll keep you posted.

Oh. I hang Rap CD's to turn in the breeze. This seems to dis the birds a little. They apparently hate Rap. Rubber snakes don't work, nor does the "give em what they want" ploy. I leave mix and LFS where they can easily get to it, but they gotta go for the rarest species pots. Another option is to fashion cages made form hardware cloth which is a metal mesh. Not that aesthetic in appearance, they do keep out critters.
    "Grow More, Share More"

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,
    If I used a rap CD, it might keep me away also. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Thanks Jerry. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the liquid nitrogen approach. Inoffensive to human ears!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12