What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rocks, minerals and crystals

Hey PAK, I'm gettin' out my shovel.  Do I get your new puppy also...and your plant collection?
laugh.gif

Considering the fact that "A woman and her dog are never parted"...and I can't give up the plants....well...I think you'd be stuck with the whole crew. But we all wouldn't fit in a box of rocks in the garage.
smile_n_32.gif

There are three beaches in Humboldt County (Northern California) to find agates, california jade, moonstones -and dare I say it - gold! No work, other than bending over to pick up things from the sand.

I have a smoky grey/blue agate that apparently came from the lava columns of Modoc county. It's half the size of an egg. Meanwhile, when you get tired of that, you can look for Darlingtonia and utrics!

Yeah, Geez, you Californian's got it all. Makes me wish my great Grandpappy lit off in a covered wagon. Everyone always says I belong in Ca anyways. You also have some incredible tourmaline deposits, if you are into cliff hanging (I am tempted).

Scotty, thanks for the details. I will do some research and see what might be possibe down that a ways. I am aware of the geology of the Hudson area, its famous for its gemstones. Like I said, anytime you have a mind to break rock let me know!

PAK, you are a fossil! Pretty much everone over 40 is fossilized. Be proud. The weak die off, and the fossils go on to make lots of beautiful history. Ya Hooo! We ain't dead yet, not even. As far as mining you goes, I dig you just fine, and you're pure diamond studded gold!

Thanks to all the respondee's. It's neat to see what is around! Geology is a great subject, and it literally changes the way you look at the Earth. All of a sudden, it's not all just rocks! Suddenly, even parking lots are interesting (especially ones in other States!) Plus, rockhounding is the perfect reason to go camping, so don't be surprised when I ring you up.

I've always wanted to go fossil hunting, seems so exciting. Oh yeah and BTW I did inherit one trait from my father, that is a love for stones (gems, not the stuff walls are made of), minerals, and FOSSILS! Not to mention crystals and other weird objects of interest to me...
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 10 2004,6:45)]Yeah, Geez, you Californian's got it all.  Makes me wish my great Grandpappy lit off in a covered wagon.  Everyone always says I belong in Ca anyways.  You also have some incredible tourmaline deposits, if you are into cliff hanging (I am tempted).

Scotty, thanks for the details.  I will do some research and see what might be possibe down that a ways.  I am aware of the geology of the Hudson area, its famous for its gemstones.  Like I said, anytime you have a mind to break rock let me know!

PAK, you are a fossil!  Pretty much everone over 40 is fossilized.  Be proud.  The weak die off, and the fossils go on to make lots of beautiful history.  Ya Hooo!  We ain't dead yet, not even.  As far as mining you goes, I dig you just fine, and you're pure diamond studded gold!

Thanks to all the respondee's.  It's neat to see what is around!  Geology is a great subject, and it literally changes the way you look at the Earth.  All of a sudden, it's not all just rocks!  Suddenly, even parking lots are interesting (especially ones in other States!)  Plus, rockhounding is the perfect reason to go camping, so don't be surprised when I ring you up.
William,

Here in california there is a place called Big Sur, about an hour from me... the beaches there are phenominal! Well, there is a beach there called jade beach. You can cruze along the beach and pick up dozens of jade stones. if you're into adventures you can go diving... 2 ton boulders of PURE jade have been found! I have only seen one of these monsters... there is no way to describe em... very soothing to run your hand along its polished edges.
biggrin.gif

Oooooo I do LOVE jade! Especially as the chinese view jade to be a lucky stone...Have to visit that place sometime. Spec, then why didn't you pick up the 2 ton boulder...you would become soooo darn rich...
smile_n_32.gif

BTW, isn't jade a gemstone, and wouldn't the beach be levelled the first day it was found out that it was covered with gems? Must be of a low quality heh...otherwise a holiday of jade picking could be more profit than the $ needed to pay for the holiday itself...
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]PAK, you are a fossil! Pretty much everone over 40 is fossilized. Be proud. The weak die off, and the fossils go on to make lots of beautiful history. Ya Hooo! We ain't dead yet, not even. As far as mining you goes, I dig you just fine, and you're pure diamond studded gold!

How bout the ones who are over 100? I know some here who are *pokepoke nudgenudge saynomore*...naturally found diamond studded gold?
confused.gif
In your dreams William...
laugh.gif
cool.gif

Yes and I have one more thing to say, everything I have heard their their best comes from california, gemstones, cps, clear skies, famous companies...you name it. :Boiling with envy at all those califs that get everything and virtually live with cps:...
Tamlin do you do geology? And Physics? And Biology. You are a man of so many talents, hobbies, and dreams, and for that I admire you.

Why don't we set up a gemstone board, should be interesting to see how many ppl are into them (and even get more interested)
smile.gif

Jason

Tamlin doesn't have hobbies, ALL of his pursuits are serious, intentional studies.  And you forgot music, cooking, antiques, beer making, collecting lots of things...  including beautiful women!  
laugh.gif

Valerie is referring to my totally complete Playboy centerfold collection which I have as a screensaver slide show. I figure if I see enough nekkid ladies in time I will understand the nature of Woman. It hasn't worked so far though, must keep trying.....

Jason, if you kick around long enough and don't have a brain anestheticized by school, state. church and the media it's amazing what you can learn and see. This world is a feast and a paradise, but you got to get out of the bedroom and take a bite.

Spec, Jade Beach sounds cool. There is actually a similar mineral that can be found here on the shores of Lake Ontario, although most of it is black. Jade is a wonderful gem stone. Some of the Chineese jade carvings are miracles of art.

Well, the California jade is a much lower quality than the ones used by the Chinese (I should know). But, it's fun to find.

Jason, you have to get to the beach early in the morning to get the best pick, or lower tides. New rocks wash up all day, but of course nobody picks them up at night! And in northern california, the most selection is after a big storm. That reminds me, there's a place in Fort Bragg, CA called glass beach. It's quite a funny place because it used to be the city dump, so the glass comes from back in the day. There's a big car engine block still sitting on the beach
laugh.gif

I wanna be in CALIFORNIA, WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

Well, if you want to talk sheer potential, I did visit Franklin, N.J. It's the mineral mecca of Earth, more individual mineral species there than anywhere.

The dump has been picked over for 50 years but there is always something. I snooped around and found a side road where suddenly there were a bunch of parked cars on the side of the road. Someone had found a newer dump! I was pulling rocks out of there like I couldn't believe, oarnge calcite with Frankinite xtals, flourescent stuff....yeah!

I'll never forget old Charlie. He had worked the mine as a miner all his life and was selling bags of rocks out of his car. He was an old man, but the stories he told be of things he had found while working in a space the size of a bathroom stall blew me away. I remember he told me how he brought out a fragile wonder of needle crystals at "that other mine" <spit> and the foreman confiscated it and just "threw it back in the hole". I can't imagine the hours and days he must have chipped and worked that specimen out of the rock without breaking it!

You want to see some rocks? Go to the Smithsonian in Washington D.C. My my.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wickedthistle @ June 11 2004,2:05)]Well, the California jade is a much lower quality than the ones used by the Chinese (I should know). But, it's fun to find.

Jason, you have to get to the beach early in the morning to get the best pick, or lower tides. New rocks wash up all day, but of course nobody picks them up at night! And in northern california, the most selection is after a big storm. That reminds me, there's a place in Fort Bragg, CA called glass beach. It's quite a funny place because it used to be the city dump, so the glass comes from back in the day. There's a big car engine block still sitting on the beach
laugh.gif
I'll go as early as I have to!
biggrin.gif
Its a wonder companies haven't bought out the beach and ppl don't grab all the stones in a minutes notice and sell them, s'pose they have better thing to do than pick stones huh...
smile_l_32.gif

BTW, I just went to a gem store today and saw a beautiful transparent blue star sapphire while my father marvelled at the icy jadite (sp?). Supposed to be very rare, very rare indeed, think it sold for over a million $.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hey Spec,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if you're into adventures you can go diving... 2 ton boulders of PURE jade have been found! I have only seen one of these monsters...

Errr...ummm...adventure?
There isn't a big enough piece of Jade in the world.

And I quote..."Carcharodon carcharias, the great white shark is an important, though not common, predator in California`s coastal habitats and every summer and fall they actively feed in nearshore areas.  They will occasionally feed on sea turtles and sea otters, and are known to mistakenly attack, but not eat, humans.  Attack strategy consists of a swift, surprise attack from below, inflicting a large, potentially fatal bite. The target often dies from massive trauma or blood loss

The key words here are; actively feed...mistakenly attack but not eat humans...target often dies from massive trauma or blood loss."
The fact that they only attack humans by mistake and will not consume my entire body does not make me feel any better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ June 13 2004,6:05)]Hey Spec,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]if you're into adventures you can go diving... 2 ton boulders of PURE jade have been found! I have only seen one of these monsters...

Errr...ummm...adventure?
There isn't a big enough piece of Jade in the world.

And I quote..."Carcharodon carcharias, the great white shark is an important, though not common, predator in California`s coastal habitats and every summer and fall they actively feed in nearshore areas.  They will occasionally feed on sea turtles and sea otters, and are known to mistakenly attack, but not eat, humans.  Attack strategy consists of a swift, surprise attack from below, inflicting a large, potentially fatal bite. The target often dies from massive trauma or blood loss

The key words here are; actively feed...mistakenly attack but not eat humans...target often dies from massive trauma or blood loss."
The fact that they only attack humans by mistake and will not consume my entire body does not make me feel any better.
It's not the sharks... Though, all along the coastline here there are kelp forests... just where they like to hunt
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Many people have died from the decieving beaches around jade beach (not sure if jade is one of them) about a foot deep for 20 or so yards... 5 feet out it plunges down 5 feet
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Once a little kid got pulled out, and all his siblings tried to save him but tey gt pulled out, then their grandparents, then their parents.... it was a reunion, and the whole family vanished in a day
smile_k_ani_32.gif

D'oh, I got a leg caught in some kelp around Catalina Island once while I was at camp. I relaxed a bit, and was able to float out. It was frightening, but at the same time I knew I'd be okay because it was a chaperoned race with plenty of counselors in kayaks nearby.

Back