What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some people suck

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (larry @ June 10 2004,1:54)]You may think your cat is innocent, but you don't know what kind of mayhem it's causing at night while you sleep (I'm assuming it is free to roam the neighborhood).
Larry,

Yes she is free to roam the neighborhood should she choose but for the most part (95% of the time) she stays aroung the house lounging on the deck and occasionally jumping the fence to explore the lake (and no the lake is not the problem or there would be dead fish a pleanty.) And I know she isn't causing havok at night because I close her in the sunroom.

Just heard from the vet, despite all the supportive care her condition worsened overnight. I had to give permission to end her suffering.

What a crappy way to start the weekend.

I am going to go cry now.

Catch you all Monday

Sorry to hear that. =(.

Hope you can continue on with your studies.

I am very sorry to hear about your cat Travis. I lost a cat to kidney failure as well. It was probably not due to poison. Cats tend to have kidney problems. They for crystals in their urine when the trouble begins. It may sound disgusting, but owners should check their cats urine from time to time. The crystal can not be seen until the urine dries, but then they can not be missed.

Putting an animal down is difficult. Those of us that have done it feel with you and know that it is a brave and kind thing that you do for your pet.

I'm SO sorry Travis. I know how you feel... its still pretty fresh for me.
smile_h_32.gif

I'm thinking of you and your wife. {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Travis}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Im so sorry. I know how I would feel if my dog died.

That's terrible...I hate cats and can swear that they are evil spawn...but honestly if it was still a charished pet, wow thats always a bad thing to wake up to. I know something of how it feels. I had a wild dog I had kept for a number of months until she accidently ate ground squirrel poison. I sobbed for a long time.
--
Pyro it's possible that it had been laid out poison for rodents..or perhaps your cat ate a poisoned animal. Its terrible that in search for a relief from pests. People accidently cause the deaths of innocent animals along the way.

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

We have 3 cats and 2 dogs. Our animals are indoors only, unless we take the dogs on a walk or to the dog park. We have many cats and dogs that roam the grounds around here. The house we had rented a few blocks away had 27 cats in the back yard one night. We didn't go out and shoot them, poison them, or do anything but look at them under the buildings, fence, etc.

I know not every animal that roams through yards belongs to a person and populations are very high for stray cats in most of the country. However, one cannot take it into ones own hands to deside which of these animals should be killed because it was "Not in its own yard". I know that dogs can get out of their yards, and I was not a dog person by any means until a year ago. I would make a big stink about the dogs in our yard and run out to make them go away. I would never think about killing a dog or cat that was in our yard. I have been known to spend some time with the outdoor cats in our neighborhood. We even tried to catch one, that had been shot in the face, to take him to the vet and then the humane society. He was too scared and ran away. We thought he died soon after but found him again almost a year later.

Dogs scare some people, and others think that if its in their yard, they can do what they want with it. Well, thats not true. I do not know of any cases where someone was charged for killing or torturing another person's animal. However, it only takes one person to torture or kill a person's pet to push the owner of the edge. Almost everyone I have spoken with in regards to having this sort of thing happen to their pet, would gladly return the favor to person(s) responsible.

I also know that there are people out there that simply let their animals roam free when there are laws that say "dogs must be on a leash or contained within the owner's yard". W have at least 5 dogs that are out and about daily. My wife knows each of thier names. One is so poorly taken care of his ribs show and he's always in the garbage looking for food. I have spent a few minutes with this dog in both good and bad situations. For the most part he is a good dog, but will defend the area around his owner's trash from other dogs. He did try to attack our begal mix and I stopped him in is tracks. He came after her and I simply put my foot out in front of him to stop him, either by tripping or letting him run into my foot and stop. I did not kick him, just put my foot out far enough he would hit it before contacting my dog. Since this time, we have met again without problems. He is a sweet dog. Our only concern is that he will starve to death one of these days. He is always so hungry. (Yes, he may end up at the humane society).

I guess what I am saying is that each animal has a right to be here. If someone doesn't like dogs, cats, etc., they should not take matters into their own hands. Killing dogs for fun is a sick act, the same goes for cats. I constanly here people talk about shooting cats because they are in the yard. My wife and I always worry about one of our cats getting out my accident. Although they might get hit by a car, our bigger worries are someone shooting them.

Pets are wonderful. They are part of our family and when someone does something to them to hurt or kill them. They are hurting or killing a family member.

Supressed memory...
When I was much much younger, we had a black long haired dog named Frisker. This dog was more of my sister's best friend, but I liked her as well. Anyway, my sister was petting Frisker's head one day and ran her hands down the dogs neck. She felt an odd warm sticky substance. I remember her coming in screaming her head off. As it turns out, or neighbor's kid had put a meat packing rubber band around the dogs neck. It had cut down below the skins surface. We were very lucky we caught it when we did. How do we know it was the neighbor's kid? He admitted he did it because he didn't like our dog. How did he do it, he came over our fence to put it on her.

Cat's like to lick things man, it's not nessisarily anyones fault.
Sorry to hear about your cat though.

Hi Travis,
I am really sorry to hear about your cat..

Awwww, poop darn and ahyuk. That about says it for me. Sorry to hear of the loss Travis.

Yeah, maybe it isn't necessarily some worthless cat poisoning waste of skin that did this, but I just don't trust 99% of the world I guess. I suppose its from not ducking and getting whomped in the head a few times to many.

You need me, I am here man. You got the number. Meanwhle, remember that nothing is ever lost, not really.

smile_h_32.gif

Cats can be very dirty animals. They lick just about everithing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ June 13 2004,10:45)]Cats can be very dirty animals. They lick just about everithing.
Actually I spoke to the vet at length about this. Cats, unlike dogs (which will put almost anything in their mouths) are very unlikely to get into anything toxic because they are much much more careful about what they eat/drink. The only possible exception is antifreeze which tricks them with its sweet taste/smell.

I do not deny that maybe she got into something somewhere but given her tendancy to stay close to home and the knowledge that I don't keep antifreeze I am suspicious.

Could it be possible that the cat ate another animal which was poisoned?

Cats are actually fastidiously clean. Anyone who's ever had a cat knows they spend a LOT of time meticulously cleaning their coat and tending to their nails and paws. They are VERY clean animals.

Dogs are much more likely to eat "anything"...including "kitty bon bons" if you happen to have an indoor kitty with a litter box. I love dogs but they can get into some horrendous stuff. They also like to roll in carrion...a genetic throwback to the days of hunting for food and needing to cover their scent for stalking prey.

I disagree with cats being clean. My grandma once saw a cat licking up sick.

Dino,

Maybe the cat was having an off-moment, or maybe your gma "thought" she saw that. I should have blocked this out, but I tasted pee on the driveway once when I was three to five ...
smile_t_32.gif
I still had to take baths and such, so I was clean, lol. I seem to remember eating dog bisquits at a firends house too(they were not that bad). I hope everyone is happy I shared....
Anyway back on topic, Pyro, I am really sorry for your loss. Pets like that are great stress reducers (when they are fine) and I feel all quesy when one of our dogs escapes and decides to go exploring(until I find the dog).

Regards,

Joe

What a cat (or dog) eats really doesn't have anything to do with their cleanliness.  And yes, animals have a totally different idea of what is good and what's not.  You're a judging the cat's diet by human standards of what is appropriate for US to eat.  They are ANIMALS.  They can't go to the grocery store and buy clean, fresh food.  Their genetics tell them to eat what they can find when they can find it.

Maybe if a cat could speak...they would find it totally repulsive and disgusting that you eat fruit.  Who knows.  
smile.gif

I disagree again, plant a kiss. My dog eats anithing. Bone, Dirt, Dog sh?%,Friut, vegatables, cheese, meat, chocolate, Horse poo. The other day he was trying to lick up sick.

kitty bon bons, ROTF LMAO!

Back