What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A solemn goodbye for a season

Things sure change....  

Well, my CP friends. I wanted to say goodbye and thank everyone before I became a silent user here. My life has made it's final decision on my career. I am currently in the application process of a Dutch university in Leiden. I am going into Russian Studies where my goal is to eventually achieve a PhD. I will begin that study in the Netherlands where I will be getting my Bachelors and Masters degree over a 4 year period. This means that next June my wife and I will be moving to the Netherlands with nothing but the clothes on our backs and some resources.

I know that earlier I was seriously considering becoming a Horticulturist and owning my own Greenhouse Business...but things like I said change!  
biggrin.gif
 From advice given by those of you responding to my earlier threads concerning the greenhouse business, and also my summer experience in a Nursery here in Utah, I have decided that selling plants is not how I want to receive my "primary" income.  I do however, want to follow the advice of Mike King and make a small business grow from humble beginnings.  
biggrin.gif
 Thanks, Mike!  

So someday when I move to a nicer home and become stable I will get that greenhouse biz going.  Concerning my plants, my wife and I have already made a move two weeks ago that has crippled 3/4 of my CP growlist. Only few plants died, but I was required to give away the rest. Right now, I only have two tanks of my 11 left! One of those is merely harboring plants which I have been meaning to mail out.

Basically, my hobby of CPs has been put on hold for several years due to distraction and cost. It's discouraging to me since I just took on the ambition of creating a CP community here in Utah! Now, I have to leave the community and go to the Netherlands. I do want to thank many of you, who rose to support me with that endeavor! I REALLY appreciate your support. It's great to have international friends united in such a purpose. Thank you!

I also want to dearly thank those who generously and unselfishly donated plants to me and taught me SO much about these wonderful plants. I have enjoyed my time here immensely, and have made many good friends. Thank you so very much.

This has been a great experience for me, and I look forward to the day when I settle down in a home where I can build a greenhouse, raise a family, and become stable enough to build the CP collection of my dreams. Certainly then, I will return more frequently to the CP community.  However, until then I will have to "tinker" with the hobby instead of "grabbing it by the horns" as I have been these last 9 months since my first VFT.  Like Aidan from CPUK said, I'll have to pop in here now and then from the internet in Leiden, and get my "quick fix" of CP talk. haha...  

But for now, thanks again for everything, and I hope all goes well for you this growing season. I wish you all the very best!  

Sincerely,

Aaron King (Odysseus)

Why are so many people leaving?
smile_h_32.gif

Sorry to hear that you have to leave, Odyesseus.

We will miss you here.

BB,
Although the Odyssey isnt my favorite book, i like all the gore in it, and my fav line, "Thy sweet nepenthe"
biggrin.gif

i agree with eplants, Y are so many people leaving, CPing is so fun!!!

Aaron, we will miss you but wish you best of luck on your new life adventure!! Your goals sound fascinating and quite ambitious. Not many people are brave enough to embark on such a journey. Please check in with us from time to time as your pursue your dreams and let us know how you are doing
biggrin.gif

I'm sure your choice was a good one.
smile.gif
I hope it all works for the better.

Good luck!
smile.gif

-Spec

Best wishes, Aaron.  Good luck in your new pursuits.  It has been a pleasure getting to know you.  I hope you do pop back in from time to time & keep us updated on how your life is going.  That's the great thing about the internet - you will never be too far away.  I wish you well.  
biggrin.gif

People come & go in our lives all the time.  I think this is just a transitional time of year right now.

Well, you made this choice so that you could have a better, more stable life, so it isn't a bad choice. I say, instead of mourning, you should celebrate, I know it sounds corny, but you should be happy that you found the right path for you. So keep in mind, this sin't goodbye forever, this is just another season in your life. I know that when the seasons of your life change again, there will be an open space in our hearts waiting for your return. Good luck with all of your endeavours.
smile.gif

Thanks for your contributions and support here. You are going to go places I think, and not just to Holland!

Best wishes for a bright future, and do drop in from time to time. You have friends here!

Sounds like you have an exciting time in front of you. Look forward to your journey and not what you've left behind. We'll be here when you get back and we will love to hear about you trip.
I have never been to the Netherlands but I have been to that region of Europe and I really loved it. If you need a good cp friend close to you there I'll give you to email of a good friend of mine that lives in Belgium
Have fun and check in sometime and let us know how it's going. You don't have to grow cp's to be a member here. You're always welcome here.

I'm gonna miss you Aaron.I hope everything works out for you,please keep in touch.

Jerry

Goodluck to you,
It takes alot of bravery to up and go, but those who risk it will receive the greatest rewards. It's easy to feel stuck somewhere and tell yourself to accept it. I applaud you for bettering yourself and it'll be interesting to go Nederlands. BTW while there check out E.P.R.I.C. orginazation, very nice greenhouses. A friend of mine runs them.

Take care
Joe

Sorry to see you go. I want to be just like Alan Tichmarsh and Charlie Dimmock. I am still in school, when I leave I want to go to gardening college.
I will hopefully achive fame. I will grow all plants, not just carnivorous plants.
Dont let anything stand in your path to sucess. Follow your heart wherever it leads you. I wish you all the best.
Dino

Wow, that sounds exciting! I love the Netherlands, it's a great and beautiful country. Good luck to you; you'll be missed here. You are one of the sharper tools in the shed here. But there's nothing keeping you from keeping a plant or two and checking in from time to time!

Capslock

I'm sorry that you must leave the community but I am excited for you and your new path. Plants will always be with you in some way and the CP community will always be here for you too.

Thank you for all your contributions to the forum. I hope you can pop in and update us all from time to time.

I hope you find your new path exciting and challenging. Best wishes and good luck to you in all you do and happiness always!

Suzanne

Bye and good luck.

Wow...

I really appreciate all the replies and well wishings!
biggrin.gif
Thank you very much! I agree 100% with all of you. I plan on letting CPs stick around in my life. Albeit, on a smaller scale. I certainly do appreciate the ease of the Internet and how goodbye is ALMOST impossible when this world is accessible almost from anywhere in the world!

I plan on sticking my head in every now and then. Posting a few threads perhaps on life in the Netherlands. I look VERY forward getting some nice Neps to hang around my house. The humidity in the Netherlands is great compared to here in Utah, and I will be more successful with CPs without alot of extra expensive terrarium setups.

I certainly am ecstatic about my new path in life, and have an overwhelming feeling that I have found the right one. I feel 100% percent at ease and have this peaceful calm about my decision. Being a linguist will be a great way to help people, support my family, and have the great satisfaction of loving your job.
biggrin.gif
Certainly important in life.

Thanks for every comment, gesture, and compliment! I will keep in touch, and hopefully be a good resource for the CP community once I reach the Netherlands.

Take care everyone!

--Aaron King

Hey, don't let grad school stop you from keeping CPs!
laugh.gif

It's a relief to me to hear your change of plans, i frankly was a bit worried about your survival as a full-time CP salesguy in SLC.  The water and the weather are a bit lacking.
smile_m_32.gif

Too bad about the Utah CPS, but hopefully it won't die completely.

Good luck overseas!

Aaron,
Where ever you go there will be a CPer nearby to give you a fix when you need it!

Best wishes and keep in touch with us.

I hope you are sucessfull in whatver you set out to do

A year book!  That's what this is reminding me of!  I thought of it since it's that end of the school year time & my son brought home his yearbook.  We are all signing Aaron's yearbook of his time here with us. Aww, gee.  
biggrin.gif

Best of luck in the future!

Back