User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 33 to 40 of 43

Thread: Big storm about to hit

  1. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    529
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we do that when It's really bad weather, we sit out on the back patio and watch the rain fall and talk:laugh:

  2. #34
    Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Posts
    1,697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here, we watch it. Many a funnel cloud and wall cloud have gone over my house and we watched it.

    Starman, arent you from UK? Does UK even get hurricanes?

    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

  3. #35

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    N'awlins
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense Starman, but lets have an intelligent conversation here, versus one line come backs to a serious statement. Sure, there are idiots in every bunch. Not much different than the tornado chasers. Those crazy cats actually look for tornados and see how close they can get to them.

    Now, lets assume we are discussing the decently educated bunch.

    A. Hurricanes do not just "pop" up. They can suddenly turn and go on a different path than projected, but EVERYONE that has any reaction with society knows it is there (At least in costal areas) So that kind of debunks the whole "hurricane came out of no-where thing"

    B. I don't know where you are from, but down here hurricanes are a fact of reality. Class 3 and under, chances are my house will sustain NO damage, furthermore I stand a larger chance of being injured on the highway running from it than from staying home.

    C. Upper class 3 and beyond (or special circumstance, like the eye will directly hit the mississippi, which will push the storm surge up the river and effectivly drown the New Orleans area) then you get the heck out of dodge.


    So, I am sorry, but certain Yanks and easterners that get all scared and freaked over a class 2 hurricane, I have no sympothy for you. I go through at least a class 2 every other year and at least 2 tropical storms every year.

    We DO know what we are doing down here in the south when it comes to storms. So when you throw out your "Some people stay around because"Hurricane, big deal.Lets have a hurricane party."" as a rebutle, remember, I have 24 year of exp. dealing with these storms. NO ONE thinks a hurricane should be takin lightly. The people that stay when they shouldn't are worried about what they have spent a lifetime procuring for their family. Stupid as it may be, it is still understandable. It DARN sure isn't because they take the situation lightly.

  4. #36

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    central upstate New York
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow

    See, now, you live in hurricane country. We don't. It's big news if we get a tornado or two up here. So we have to scurry around if big wind is expected. Tamlin had a LOT of potted sarrs around that would have been crumpled in a high wind. And all those little drosera sitting around - blown into the next county. Do you even keep any plants outside there? Hmmm, probably in the ground. Ours have to be mobile because of the extremes between summer & winter.
    Gee, isn't it fun to talk about the weather? Summer is just the best around here. 2 or 3 - if we're lucky, 4 - months of balmy, pleasant days. (Then winter comes back, *oooh* :< )
    And, yes, let's do try to have an intelligent conversation. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

  5. #37
    Whats it to ya? Finch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok....



    superimposedhope.

    Im shure your a really nice person and all, but many of the things you said strike me as highly unlikely. Im mostlikely the mistaken one so clear some things up for me, if you would be so kind.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]wig split from softball sized hail
    What the #### was it, a wig helmet? large chunks of ice falling from the sky should cause more damage than that.

    did you say you
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]stood through
    [/i] It?! what were you thinking!!??

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Watched boats fly, cars swim, and 100+yr old Cottonwoods and Maples lay down for a nap
    Wait wait you said you were camping? Everyone knows trailer homes are the most vunereble homes in any storm. I suspect capers are even more vunerable. What happened to what you were camping in? In that weather something must of happened to what you ere camping in unless it was a concrete cell or something.

    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Omaha doesn't get hit by tornados any more cause theres too much wind break. Storms split and go around and then usually dump on Counciltucky, IA
    what do you mean. exactly, by wind break?

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]we watch it. Many a funnel cloud and wall cloud have gone over my house and we watched it.
    really, if so WHY WERE YOU WATCHING IT GO OVER YOUR HOUSE?? (not exactly bright)


    __

    Like i said, i found all those curcumstances unlikely. Im not out to make enimies here, but...

    just, could you explain these things? I dont understand..........
    that makes no logic

  6. #38

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Coast of California
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    finch,

    its called a joke [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

  7. #39
    Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Posts
    1,697
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok man, I got hit on the head by the hail. Yers it hurt very badly and I got stitches the next day.

    I see these storms all the time, not a big deal to me.

    Ok, I was camping in a camper (trailor), we were luckily at the base of a hill. The camper was lifted a few feet up but set back down as the tornado went up the hill. We were litterally 10-15ft from a steep hill. Thats what saved our camper.

    Too many buildings, storms generally come in from the south-west, which is where Omaha extends the most. Some of the farther reaching parts of the city are trashed but Omaha mostly runs East to West. This makes it hard for a tornado to keep wind speeds when constant large objects break up the wind. I didn't say impossible but alot less likely. Omaha is in tornado alley but '78' was the last time a tornado came through Omaha.

    Funnel clouds are very frequent here in the spring and summer as well as wall clouds. They DO NOT guarantee anything. Many times they pass without rain even.

    BTW I don't appreciate the "not exactly bright" comment. I am aware of my weather here. I have been here all my life. Just like tropical storm doesn't mean hurricane, wall cloud doesn't mean tornado. Omaha is in the middle of Northern cold drops and gulf stream warm humidity. So we get odd stuff come together that many times leaves here befor forming anything serious. Many times IA gets the tornados that I see form here.

    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans&#33;\"

  8. #40

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Coast of California
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow

    Gotta love the wig ripped in two statement! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

    I can believe everything you said, but a wig getting ripped in two, now that would be a sight! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_t_32.gif[/img]

    Funny how after caspers post starman doesn't seem to be in a posting mood [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

    I've never had a hurricane party before, but I've had lots of tornado parties. Fun to bet on which window the first cow will fly through [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

    SHATTER!

    Seriously though, tornados are a lot more unpredictable than hurricanes, they can pop out of no where... Generally you can spot them and track potential tornados for hours... but they can toutch down at pretty much any moment... but sometimes they appear out of no where, do some good damage, and suck back up into the sky... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] (least thats what it seemed like when i saw one once... didnt really do much damage though, if any)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •