What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big storm about to hit

We're supposed ot get flood rains this afternoon but no severe wheather. We're in a flood warning till tomorrow sometime. That didn't look like much of a storm on the map. This last weekend a storm rolled that showed purple on the map.

5yrs ago I was out camping in this little town called Freemont. I stood through 7 tornados that night. I got my wig split from softball sized hail. Watched boats fly, cars swim, and 100+yr old Cottonwoods and Maples lay down for a nap. It was a bad scene but I'll never forget what I say that night and next morning. Omaha doesn't get hit by tornados any more cause theres too much wind break. Storms split and go around and then usually dump on Counciltucky, IA.

Joe

NEVER, EVER underestimate the power of a hurricane. Those people thought "Oh hurricane, big deal, we are going to be O.K" And yes, the sad truth is that hurricanes CAN suddenly come.

I, guess I'm sad then
smile_m_32.gif
, But the worst we get in MI is a green storm or a orange storm.
confused.gif
now I kinda want a bit more action up here
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ June 16 2004,1:09)]NEVER, EVER underestimate the power of a hurricane. Those people thought "Oh hurricane, big deal, we are going to be O.K" And yes, the sad truth is that hurricanes CAN suddenly come.
hurricanes dont just form out of no where... they usually form WAY out in the ocean, so you have WEEKS of notice before it hits... they dont just form on the coastline.

Yeah, we saw this movie on weather in science class, and these two guys were looking at some big swirl of clouds, and they were talking about hurricane watches and evacuations
confused.gif
So I guess they take Precautions and stuff
smile_k_ani_32.gif

And people stay even though they know it is coming! Then the hurricane surprises them, the next thing they know is they are dead.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ June 16 2004,1:23)]And people stay even though they know it is coming! Then the hurricane surprises them, the next thing they know is they are dead.
not everyone has a thousand bucks to dve out of the state...

People DO give evacuation orders, they also give people hurricane shelters. But people stay anyway.

Just a quick ?, How do you know they stay?

I don't live on the coast but I know even in NE we hear about them for at least a week befor anything happens.
Yes, technically you aren't supposed to stay around but........that is a general rule cause not everyone is "bright" enough to make their own judgements. It's like the "Do not point at face while opening" sign on pop (or soda depending where you're from). I have been around severe thunderstorms all my life and am able to make my own judgements cause I know what different clouds look like and what they mean. I know how to spot tornado weather and such. Now some people are like turkeys with their mouth open, starring at the sky and drowning. These folks need help and need to be told how to handle inclement weather, otherwise they would drown them selves.

Joe

In 1995 Hurricane Erin hit directly in central Florida, the school I work at is a designated hurricane shelter. Hurricane shelters in Florida will not allow animals. Not intending to leave my dog and the tortoises I have unattended, I stayed at home. The school sustained much more damage than any of the houses around where I live. Homeowners tend to take precautions whereas the shelters set up shop rapidly, and in my opinion somewhat haphazardly. Also with the amount of warnings we get yearly that amount to nothing people tend to get complacent. I'm not saying its a good idea, but its a fact.

Some people stay around because"Hurricane, big deal.Lets have a hurricane party."

we do that when It's really bad weather, we sit out on the back patio and watch the rain fall and talk:laugh:

Same here, we watch it. Many a funnel cloud and wall cloud have gone over my house and we watched it.

Starman, arent you from UK? Does UK even get hurricanes?

Joe

No offense Starman, but lets have an intelligent conversation here, versus one line come backs to a serious statement. Sure, there are idiots in every bunch. Not much different than the tornado chasers. Those crazy cats actually look for tornados and see how close they can get to them.

Now, lets assume we are discussing the decently educated bunch.

A. Hurricanes do not just "pop" up. They can suddenly turn and go on a different path than projected, but EVERYONE that has any reaction with society knows it is there (At least in costal areas) So that kind of debunks the whole "hurricane came out of no-where thing"

B. I don't know where you are from, but down here hurricanes are a fact of reality. Class 3 and under, chances are my house will sustain NO damage, furthermore I stand a larger chance of being injured on the highway running from it than from staying home.

C. Upper class 3 and beyond (or special circumstance, like the eye will directly hit the mississippi, which will push the storm surge up the river and effectivly drown the New Orleans area) then you get the heck out of dodge.

So, I am sorry, but certain Yanks and easterners that get all scared and freaked over a class 2 hurricane, I have no sympothy for you. I go through at least a class 2 every other year and at least 2 tropical storms every year.

We DO know what we are doing down here in the south when it comes to storms. So when you throw out your "Some people stay around because"Hurricane, big deal.Lets have a hurricane party."" as a rebutle, remember, I have 24 year of exp. dealing with these storms. NO ONE thinks a hurricane should be takin lightly. The people that stay when they shouldn't are worried about what they have spent a lifetime procuring for their family. Stupid as it may be, it is still understandable. It DARN sure isn't because they take the situation lightly.

See, now, you live in hurricane country.  We don't.  It's big news if we get a tornado or two up here.  So we have to scurry around if big wind is expected.  Tamlin had a LOT of potted sarrs around that would have been crumpled in a high wind.  And all those little drosera sitting around - blown into the next county.  Do you even keep any plants outside there?  Hmmm, probably in the ground.  Ours have to be mobile because of the extremes between summer & winter.
Gee, isn't it fun to talk about the weather?  Summer is just the best around here.  2 or 3 - if we're lucky, 4 - months of balmy, pleasant days.  (Then winter comes back, *oooh* :<  )
And, yes, let's do try to have an intelligent conversation.  
biggrin.gif

Ok....

superimposedhope.

Im shure your a really nice person and all, but many of the things you said strike me as highly unlikely. Im mostlikely the mistaken one so clear some things up for me, if you would be so kind.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]wig split from softball sized hail
What the #### was it, a wig helmet? large chunks of ice falling from the sky should cause more damage than that.

did you say you
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]stood through
[/i] It?! what were you thinking!!??

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Watched boats fly, cars swim, and 100+yr old Cottonwoods and Maples lay down for a nap
Wait wait you said you were camping? Everyone knows trailer homes are the most vunereble homes in any storm. I suspect capers are even more vunerable. What happened to what you were camping in? In that weather something must of happened to what you ere camping in unless it was a concrete cell or something.

confused.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Omaha doesn't get hit by tornados any more cause theres too much wind break. Storms split and go around and then usually dump on Counciltucky, IA
what do you mean. exactly, by wind break?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]we watch it. Many a funnel cloud and wall cloud have gone over my house and we watched it.
really, if so WHY WERE YOU WATCHING IT GO OVER YOUR HOUSE?? (not exactly bright)

__

Like i said, i found all those curcumstances unlikely. Im not out to make enimies here, but...

just, could you explain these things? I dont understand..........

Ok man, I got hit on the head by the hail. Yers it hurt very badly and I got stitches the next day.

I see these storms all the time, not a big deal to me.

Ok, I was camping in a camper (trailor), we were luckily at the base of a hill. The camper was lifted a few feet up but set back down as the tornado went up the hill. We were litterally 10-15ft from a steep hill. Thats what saved our camper.

Too many buildings, storms generally come in from the south-west, which is where Omaha extends the most. Some of the farther reaching parts of the city are trashed but Omaha mostly runs East to West. This makes it hard for a tornado to keep wind speeds when constant large objects break up the wind. I didn't say impossible but alot less likely. Omaha is in tornado alley but '78' was the last time a tornado came through Omaha.

Funnel clouds are very frequent here in the spring and summer as well as wall clouds. They DO NOT guarantee anything. Many times they pass without rain even.

BTW I don't appreciate the "not exactly bright" comment. I am aware of my weather here. I have been here all my life. Just like tropical storm doesn't mean hurricane, wall cloud doesn't mean tornado. Omaha is in the middle of Northern cold drops and gulf stream warm humidity. So we get odd stuff come together that many times leaves here befor forming anything serious. Many times IA gets the tornados that I see form here.

Joe

Gotta love the wig ripped in two statement!
laugh.gif

I can believe everything you said, but a wig getting ripped in two, now that would be a sight!
smile_t_32.gif

Funny how after caspers post starman doesn't seem to be in a posting mood
smile_m_32.gif

I've never had a hurricane party before, but I've had lots of tornado parties. Fun to bet on which window the first cow will fly through
smile_k_ani_32.gif
laugh.gif

SHATTER!

Seriously though, tornados are a lot more unpredictable than hurricanes, they can pop out of no where... Generally you can spot them and track potential tornados for hours... but they can toutch down at pretty much any moment... but sometimes they appear out of no where, do some good damage, and suck back up into the sky...
smile_l_32.gif
(least thats what it seemed like when i saw one once... didnt really do much damage though, if any)

Back