Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross pollinating

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think just because you haven't seen something that means it doesn't exist.

There are over 200 species of drosera and hybrids are fairly common although they may not be fertile.

Some examples: D. capensis x aliciae, D. brevifolia x intermedia, D. rotundifolia x intermedia, D. nitidulla x pulchella (I have this one), D. filiformis x tracyi...just to name a few.

Again, be careful of sweeping generalizations and using words like "always", "never" and "do not." There is much to be learned if you are open to it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wondered if that would be a little more difficult than what I was imagining. I suppose it would involve some genetics.

Is there a possibility to mix the pollen of a VFT and the sundew's own pollen? Is there a chance the sundew would see it's own pollen and let some of the VFT's pollen in too?
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An intergeneric hybrid ( a cross between two genera) is very uncommon in the plant kingdom. The best example of this is within the orchid family, but the vast majority of orchid intergenetic hybrids are done via steril culture.

To simply transfer pollen from one species to another in a totally different genus and get viable seed would not be possible in this case.

It Would be a very cool plant though wouldn't it! I always daydream about a cross between a nepenthes and a VFT. Pitchers that snap shut! Now that would be cool...

Steve

Steve
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are in the same family, so you would likely get seed. the chances of the seed germanating are low

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ June 16 2004,1:51)]They are in the same family, so you would likely get seed. the chances of the seed germanating are low
    Hey Spec, I am afraid your a bit off base here. I can totally appreciate your feel for the plants, this is evident from your many knowladgable posts.

I mean absolutly no disrespect, but to state that two different genera within the same family will "likely" set seed when cross pollenated is just not accurate.

Steve
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (firewired @ June 15 2004,9:11)]I was thinking about trying cross pollinating a venus fly trap and a sundew. Has anyone on here tried this? I've been thinking about that today and have been wondering what the result of that would be. Or, if it would even work. I have never cross pollinated anything, so I'm not sure if some plants work doing this and some don't......or how that all works.

But that would be cool to have big traps with spikes that have sticky droplets on them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    Hey, wasn't Audrey 2 a cross between a VFT and a Butterwort? Pretty nasty plant, as I recall! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends I think on the plant. I don not know enough about these particular 2 but, I have a couple Genus X's from the Schlumbergera X Hatiora and Epiphyllum X Selenicereus and there are many more in the tropical cacti. However some species of a certain Genus may work while another species may not from the same Genus.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go here and click the appropriate headers regarding Drosera and Dionaea hybridization:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cplist....montht=

Ivan Snyder's experiments with hybridizing these two genera showed that many Drosera will indeed cross with Dionaea, but the resulting embryos always abort.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast