Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross pollinating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I was thinking about trying cross pollinating a venus fly trap and a sundew. Has anyone on here tried this? I've been thinking about that today and have been wondering what the result of that would be. Or, if it would even work. I have never cross pollinated anything, so I'm not sure if some plants work doing this and some don't......or how that all works.

But that would be cool to have big traps with spikes that have sticky droplets on them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think it would work...
    i have read about others doing the same, and none to triumph
    the seed, if any are unable to grow...
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be like crossing a dog and a cat. No, it is not likely to work, I do know that it has been done with some other plants but it is a complicated thing to do. It generally does not work though. Correct me breeders if I asm wrong.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no hurt in trying but it hasnt been SUCESSFULLY done. either the cross didnt take or they germinated and died quite quickly from what ive been told. there was a thought that if you tried crossing with a D. regia(sp?) which is supposed to be the most closely related to VFTs it may work but who knows till its been tried a large number of times.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Closely related VTF's? Thres only one species, and the defenttion of a species is.... i forget but i think its very similar animals that can mate and produce fertile offspring

I see no reason why it shouldnt work. I have had my finches cross breed with different species (unintentional, of course) in the same cage and produce offspring (most usually died- i dont encourage cross breeding species of animals for that very reason)
    that makes no logic

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm.......... It COULD work. When pollen from a flower lands on a stygma, the stygma checks to see if the pollen is of its own genus. Here is an example: Drosera alicea and Drosera alicea would work
    Drosera alicea and Drosera admirabilis MAY work.
    But:
    Drosera alicea and Dionea muscipula WOULD NOT work.

In order to work, you would probably need to take to plants to a scientist, a scientist may be able to change the way stygmas detect. So a sundew would think the pollen of a Dionea muscipula is from a sundew, not a VFT!
    I dont know if it can be done, since even among sundews, Hybrids are RARE.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]since even among sundews, Hybrids are RARE
    Huh? Many sundews freely hybridize. It is one of the problems with drosera taxonomy...plants hybridizing when several species grow within close proximity to each other. Just because you don't see a pot of sundews with a " name X name" on the label, doesn't mean it not a hybrid of some sort.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, O.K. I thought sundew hybrids are rare. I almost never see a sundew hybrid.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast