What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

He's finally here...

Well I'm sorry to report that Ollie has been quite ill.
smile_h_32.gif
He began throwing up last nite and continued into the wee hours. I was just about to take him to the emergency vet when he finally relaxed and fell asleep. I stayed up all nite watching him to make sure he didn't take a turn for the worse. I just got back from the vet. He has coccidia...an intestinal parasite. Normally it causes diarrhea moreso than nausea or lack of appetite. He got a shot, a medication to take for 8 days and a special food. My poor little baby. He is so tiny and I hate seeing him sick.

Hopefully he will improve but if not he may have to be hospitalized. I am hopeful the meds will do the trick. He is certainly feeling better this morning after several hours of deep sleep.

So send some good thoughts Ollie's way...maybe it will help him get better sooner. In a few hours he can have a tablespoon of food.

My poor little Ollie Bean...
smile_h_32.gif

hope he gets better
smile_h_32.gif
i wonder if dogs like medicine i dont
smile_t_32.gif

Depends what the medicine is!
My dog LOVES worming tablets and meat flavour medicines that go in his food.
This may sound mad, but I used to drink this herb medicine, it was really nice!
Instead of taking 1 spoon, I took 3 or 4!
The medicine was lush!

smile_t_32.gif

smile_t_32.gif

smile_t_32.gif

smile_t_32.gif

smile_t_32.gif
 X
gross i hate all medicine

Hope you're sending the vet bills to the breeder!

Sorry to hear that, Suzzane. I just saw your post.
Im SURE he will get better. Give him about a week and it will be:
"No Ollie, dont chew. I said NO Ollie!" " Ollie stop it right now!"
"Ollie stop biting!" "OLLIE STOP IT!!"
My dog was ill like that once(throwing up then falling assleep)
After a few days he was back to his old self(misbehaving and all)
Im SURE he will get better. I wish you all the best,
Dino
smile.gif

awww.... hes so cute!!! I do hope he gets well soon!!
smile.gif

Yeah Id deffinately have a talk with the breeder especially if its a parasite the rest of the puppies probably have it as well... oh yeah and send him the bill! You paid for a healthy dog and any reputable breeder should or would refund the expenses.
Im glad you took him to hte vet so he can get better, man he is just ADORABLE!

I wonder if the breeder knew that Ollie was sick and that was why he kept changing his mind about selling him to you. I'd definitely send the breeder the vet bills and if he doesn't make good, report him to the Kennel Club.

More importantly, I hope Ollie recovers quickly and fully.

Merlin

Suzanne, I'm sure he will be just fine.  Don't worry your little self
smile.gif
  Remember love can help just as much as medicine.  Don't let him see you are worried.  That can only hurt him. (Pets are so darned smart!!)
Andrew

Thanks everybody.
smile.gif

Ollie is doing much better. He's even eating (the new food)! I did inform the breeder and he got his pups checked today and they do have it but not as bad as Ollie. Stress (such as from a new environment) can make it worse. And of course I didn't get so much as a thank you for letting him know to check his other pups and no offer for reimbursement. This man has finished 40 champion wires, is a dog show judge and has a HUGE list of credentials to his name...but he is an absolute miserable human being. I bought from him BECAUSE of his reputation and breeding success in order to get a healthy dog. Of course this is a temporary illness, but a truly GOOD breeder would offer to pay my vet bill. Only had him 5 days and have an $80 bill. If I could report him to the Kennel Club for being a horrible human being I'd do so in a heartbeat. He made this whole thing a stressful, upsetting ordeal instead of a happy event.

At any rate, Ollie should be ok and that's what counts. He is very sweet and rambuncious....he hears "NO!" about 1,000 times a day.

BTW, Tree terror....this medication tastes kinda sweet so Ollie likes it. No problem giving it to him.
smile.gif

can i have some PAK?
smile_m_32.gif

I would reccomend getting a high quality dog food... none of that pedigre or little champions or the such... I use wysong and it truely is the best and healthyest dog food out there. If you have a high quality dog, and/or you want it to live a long time, Good food is the main thing. Although Wysong costs a little bit more (but its still affordable), It actually FILLS the animals stomache... none of that crap that really has nothing in it, is half air/water, and the animals could eat a whole bag of in a day... You can have a whole bag on the floor, but they don't eat the whole thing... it actually fills them up!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I would still send him the bill, notwithstanding he didn't offer, or that he is a miserable human being.  It is only right that he pays - at least half.  When we got our Shar-Pei, because they are bred for the wrinkles, she had just a few too many around her eyes & got an infection right away.  The vet recommended a little 'plastic surgery' to remove some of the skin since she was a pet & not for show.  I mentioned it to the breeder in passing not expecting anything & she asked me how much the bill was & sent a check for half of the amount right to the vet.  I had had her for a few months by this time.  It was just the right thing to do.  It won't cost you anything but the stamp to send it to him with a sweet little note letting him know you expect him to pay since he obviously sold you a sick dog.
And why can't you report him to the Kennel Club?

PAK really does take too much from people... She shouldn't drop things like that... she needs to learn to stand up for herself!
smilie4.gif

Well...if this man were normal, I could do that. But he isn't. He's rude, arrogant, uncommunicative, and totally unwilling to take responsibility for his mistakes. You can't reason with someone like that. Obviously if he were a decent person, he would have volunteered to pay the bill. Besides...he has an "out"--a 30-day return policy. I can return Ollie for any reason within 30 days. All he has to say is "If you are unhappy with the pup, return him", which of course I wouldn't do. Who's going to return a pet they've gotten attached to?

He is a lost cause...just one of those unreasonable, miserable people in this world. At least Ollie doesn't have his personality!
smile.gif

Ollie has just discovered....SHOES. I've had to return about 6 to my bedroom in the last 10 minutes.

At least he is feeling better! He's also grown enough to jump up on the chairs on the deck. Jonah could climb like a mountain goat...I wonder if Ollie will follow in his pawprints.

I agree with Spec about giving Ollie a high quality food. We used to give Gypsy Wysong and have recently switched (I'll have to check for the type) to one she likes better. In the puppy training course we took a few years ago they talked quite a bit about food - some companies actually use paper pulp and or cornmeal as filler to extend the mix!

Also, PAK, see if you can a book called 'Positive Puppy Training Works' by Joel Walton, CPDT. It's a small paperback with excellent tips and methods.

WildBill

I've always fed my dogs high quality food.  Not only is it better for them but they have smaller poop!  Jonah ate Science Diet but Ollie will be on Eukanuba Performance.  I have never seen Wysong around here.  Right now Ollie is eating the special gastrointestinal food but I am adding in the Euka.  No grocery-store food for my dogs and no canned food!  
smile.gif

Thanks for the book tip, Bill.  I'll have to check that out.  I'm hoping Ollie will go to obedience school (Jonah did).  I would love to train him to be a Therapy Dog or Companion Dog but while fox terriers are VERY smart, they are also difficult to train because they are easily distracted.  Its also a lot of time.  I'll see how it goes.  I wouldn't mind seeing him in a show ring...I can just see it...."Westminster Best in Show....Ollie Bean Macintosh"!!  lol

Eukanuba Performance is kinda considered "regular" pet food... I would still switch to the "really high" quality. Eukanuba has preservatives, which can be harmful to many dogs... Also, Wysong just has overall better,healthyer ingredients
smile.gif

Well, like all health food, Wysong's tastes like cardboard. My dogs didn't like it, although it is very high quality. Eukanuba is a lot better than supermarket brands, too. I settled on Canidae as my dogs love it, and it's pretty good stuff.

Capslock

Back