What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody have sea-monkeys?

I was going to put this in the salt water aquaria forum, but I realized that virtually no one looks at it. I've had Sea-Monkeys for about 2 and a half months. The first generation died, but I have babies now. Does anyone else grow Sea-Monkeys?

I have, but I haven't. I've grown brine shrimp (same thing, I know) in a bucket once. But I don't think its quite the same unless you do it in a tank and love um as pets instead of fish food hehe

They were quit fun to raise though
smile_m_32.gif

no, they aren't the same... sea monkeys are a hybrid brine shrimp, a different SSP.

I've grown both
smile.gif

really?

hmmmm I stand corrected
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think triops are cooler though

GASP!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Well, I didn't know anyone else here had grown/grows triops. I grew them for a while, but it was difficult, being at my house and all... Nothings safe... *darty eyes*... ever
smile_n_32.gif
. They were and interesting bunch, maybe I'll get some more one day.

ive tried triops, they died on me tho -_-
i grow brine shrimp for my dads fish
biggrin.gif

i never knew sea monkeys were a hybrid
is it true that they can learn to do tricks like flip and stuff?
also, do they make little castle like in the pictures? (just kiddin
smile_m_32.gif
)
Hellz

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ June 22 2004,6:09)]ive tried triops, they died on me tho -_-
i grow brine shrimp for my dads fish
biggrin.gif

i never knew sea monkeys were a hybrid
is it true that they can learn to do tricks like flip and stuff?
also, do they make little castle like in the pictures? (just kiddin  
smile_m_32.gif
)
Hellz
triops only live a month or so... you have to dry the enclosure out and then put more water in, to get the eggs to hatch...

They don't "learn" to do tricks... thats bull poop!
laugh.gif
When they flip they are just feeding... Also, if you put them in a dark box for a while, then quickly remove the box (at night) and put a bright flashlight/spotlight in the enclosure they become fascinated, and dazed, and do all sorts of funny stuff

hmm, thats cool
what do u mean they feed? they feed upside down?
lol sounds like a fun to raise pet
i also tried to raise frogs, but i wasnt patient enuff so i let them go in a lake at a park. also, ants arent that fun to raise either, in my experience. all myn died within a month -_-
Hellz

Yeah, my triops lived from a pretty long time all things considered... Yeah, Hellz, when triops feed, they turn upside-down and bring whatever it is that they want to eat to their mouth. It was quite interesting watching them eating koi pellets (or something of the sort), it'd roll round and round as they took bites. If I remember correctly, don't they breathe through their legs?

I made somethin on this before (topic). I've tried growing triops, it worked. have to start up again this season....

I had a great collection of Sea Monkeys from the Ghostly Galleon set. I'm sure this has been discussed before in the forums...but anyway, I had them for about a year on my desk. The week my entire department was fired/rehired/outsourced, they all died! I think it was the bad karma in the air. Still, I kept the set and the dried crystals. When I'm ready, all I have to do is add water! The eggs in there can hatch again.:p

I use to grow tadpole shrimps (triop) a lot a few years ago I haven't had much luck with them recently. I remember though that they get about an inch long and has a tendency of eating each other if you don't feed them every day.
confused.gif

I grew triops. All of them died, it was REALLY disgusting getting the bodies from my tank(I got my mom to do it in the end)
Im keeping some sea-monkies now.

I used to attempt to grow the San Francisco brand of shrimp eggs. (naupli?) A long time ago, in Tropical fish Hobbyist magazine, a teen wrote in all excited about getting Sea Monkeys. He asked about feeding, growing, breeding, etc... His Mailbag reply was this: "They're brine shrimp." A rather cold answer to the excited teen, don't you think?

I also tried to grow triops when I was too young to really know any better, so they died. Sea-Monkeys are amazing; I have them in the Mars Lander tank. They do flips and spins, and when it's dark, if you move a flashlight around slowly, they'll follow it. They're a lot of fun.

MTV used to have a sketch comedy show called "The State". Anyway they did a sketch where some guy was going on vacation and was instructing a friend who was house sitting to take very good care of his Sea Monkeys, as he had them since he was very young. The guy goes on vacation, and the caretaker is in the kitchen laughing about the Sea Monkeys when one of them walks in. It looks like they do on the box, and it's like six feet tall. The enormous Sea Monkey then starts threatening the caretaker with violence for cracking jokes. It's very funny. But I suppose you had to see it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ June 22 2004,7:05)]Yeah, my triops lived from a pretty long time all things considered...  Yeah, Hellz, when triops feed, they turn upside-down and bring whatever it is that they want to eat to their mouth.  It was quite interesting watching them eating koi pellets (or something of the sort), it'd roll round and round as they took bites.  If I remember correctly, don't they breathe through their legs?
Their gills are under their giant disk carapace thingy :Cool: Don't they look like a hydralisk from brood war?

I had them for a couple of weeks, but then they died... how are you supposed to take care of them? I had to blow bubbles in the tank and what not, to keep them alive!

Lots of air needs to be pumped.

Back