What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain can be bad for cps

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Well thanks to the hellacious weather last night I get to cross some plants off my growlist. The rain was so heavy and the clouds so thick that at 5pm it was dark as midnight. Wind gusts to 30 blew half of my Sarrs off the deck and an overflowing gutter layed waste to my beautiful and only specimine of Drosophyllum.

All told I lost the Drosophyllum, 3 of 5 S. minor Okee Giant seedlings the flower stalk and pitchers on S. leucophylla x umlauftiana and almost all the pitchers over 12" in height on my other Sarrs.

Arg. That sucks! I know the feeling, though. I had just put out some plants (thankfully not all of them, and thankfully most were not my treasured cps), and they got turned into ground chuck in a hail storm.

I can add a different slant to this: We have had several intense storms in the past few weeks. Since I keep most of my plants outside, open tray, some of them have flooded, causing seedlings to float. This wouldn't be so bad except that one tray hold four trays of Drosera seedlings. They floated, migrated, and mixed. I drained the floaters into a new conatiner and now I have "sundew surprise."

Yeah,I got the same nasty weather as you Pyro.Broke my tallest sarr pichers,flooded my trays.I lost sarr seed I had planted in a pot.I drilled holes in my trays so the water will not fill up but 1" from the bottom.
mad.gif

Jerry

ugh! i know the feeling! it's been raining very badly lately, and my sarrs look like the crap that's inside their leaves... it's really upsetting when a brand new leaf gets broken in half by the rain before it gets its first meal...

Aww, sorry to hear everyone's misfortune... 4 of my largest Drosera were ravaged by my friends "dog"... I litterally groaned when I read those posts
smile.gif

I'm sorry to hear that Travis.
smile_h_32.gif
Plant disasters are always painful. But as everyone learns..."plants come and go". Eventually those plants will return to your collection. But I know that's not much solace now. It sickens the heart to lose what took so long to acquire and grow.
confused.gif

Sorry to hear about your plant losses, pyro. I lost a d. intermedia to a bad storm about a month ago, and a S. x 'White Sparkler' to EVIL squirrels that have been digging in my bog!
mad.gif
I know that's not alot compared to what you lost, but my collection is rather small.

Sorry to hear about your losses Pyro.  Am I to assume the filiformis all red seeds I sent you will be germinating in your lawn?  If you need more, let me know.

Down here in Florida we get some real "Gator pounders" so I solved the problem by putting my grow area bench on casters and I roll it under the aluminum awning when bad weather approaches...which I'm not sure is a really good solution since alunimium is a great conductor of lightining.
laugh.gif

Jan,

Luckily the filiformis red seed were in my sunroom (where I will be keeping all my seedlings from now on.)

Travis - KEEP THAT DROSOPHYLLUM!!! BobZ had an awful experience with his, yet it grew for him later. I saw it too - it looked brown and dead as a doornail but had little plantlets at its tips.

Yeah, I heard about Bob's plants. Unfortunatly this one os brown and crispy all over with no green anywhere. I still have the pot though and I am not tossing it yet. But I ain't gonna hold my breath

Back