Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse osmosis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to buy a reverse osmosis system and would like advice on a particular system that I have found on ebay. It claims 100 GPD output, which is a bit of over kill but "what the hey".
    The web address is;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....01&rd=1

The "buy now" price is $99 + $30 S&H.
    -Do any of you have experience with this particular brand?
    -Do any of you see any problem with the specs on it?
    -Are there any other systems out there that you would recommend?
    Any other info on R/O systems would be helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still working on RO units? hehe
    Ok my thoughts..
    Never expect the rated output from any system. They are rated at a certain pressure and water temperture which is usually not what most people can supply to the unit so expect about 50-75% of the rating depending on what your water temperature and pressure is. This is not a fault of the system so don't hold that against the one your looking at here.
    It is always best to get a unit with much more output than you will need.

Comments on the system in your link.
    6stage with DI is extreame overkill. The price is good. What I like about the system is that it takes standard prefilters and RO membranes.
    You can simply eliminate the extra stages or when the those filters are needing replacing, simply remove them and don't replace them. All you really need are 3 stages.

I would get the unit. Use it (without the storage tank as it reduces RO output as it pressurizes). Use the Post filtering Carbon and DI cartidge and then get rid of them when they needing replacing. When the Prefilters need replacing use a good 1micron prefilter (not a 5micron like it comes with) and a solid block carbon filter.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Aren't RO units extremely wasteful of water because of the flushing needed? (No, this is not the toilet topic.) I thought a solar still makes sense, real cheap, no moving parts. What do you use, Tony?
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, most RO units use about half the amount it produces for backflushing the membrane. So for a gallon of water, you waste 1/2 gallon. I know nothing about this solar still stuff, but I can't imagine it's space or time-efficient. I'd love to be wrong about this!

I love my RO filter, and can't imagine life without it!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Here's a link that has some basic info. http://www.i4at.org/surv/sstill.htm
    You can also do a search for 'solar stills.'
    Very interesting reading.
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solar stills are pretty neat but you need the sun around alot! For someone using a few gallons a week it might be feasible. RO units do waste a fair bit of water. Depends on the set up and operating peramitters how much. A 1:1 ratio would be considered pretty good. I use RO units right now as this really is the only way to get enough water in a cost effective manner for me. (I will be setting up a rainwater collection system when I build new structures though but this adds it's own set of headaches.) The way I look at it the RO isn't really that bad.. I pump the water out of the ground and any water that goes out the waste side goes right back onto the ground. There isn't really anything wrong with the 'waste' water.. The dissolved minerals are just a bit higher now.
    T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think my RO system as it came factory wasted 3-4 gals for every one it made. I added this permeate pump kit which is supposed to as one of the benefits reduce waste water by as much as 80%. If you are further worried about the waste of water... There is another thing you can add where the "waste" aka "brine water" is pumped into your hot water heater to be used in the house...
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ June 26 2004,4:56)]As far as I know, most RO units use about half the amount it produces for backflushing the membrane. So for a gallon of water, you waste 1/2 gallon. I know nothing about this solar still stuff, but I can't imagine it's space or time-efficient. I'd love to be wrong about this!

I love my RO filter, and can't imagine life without it!

Capslock
    average is 3 gallons of wasted water for each 1 gallon of produced water. I would hook up the used hose to 50 gal barrels or something, and use the waste water to water your garden.

Filters need replacing usually every 6 months, but you dont replace the R/O membrane (I think). DONT use warm water! just a few drops of water over 85 F. is enough to ruin the membrane!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast