What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here grow antplants?

I am looking for anyone also growing antplants.

Myrmecodia, Hydnophytum or Leconopteris?

Let me know, I would like to set up some trades!

Steve

i'd love to grow them, but dont they get big?

I grow a few species of Dischidia which are myrmecophytic. D. platyphylla and D. pectinoides to be exact.

Huh?
What are ant plants?
Will somebody post a pic?

I have related/similar plants... Dorstenia
smile.gif

These are great caudex producing plants! Dorstenia are also most interesting looking, although I have never grown them.

Starman,

Ant-plants are plants that share a symbiotic relationship with ants. The three genera reffered to by Steve L all produce a thick base filled with a network of hollow spaces that provide housing for the ants in return for deffense by the ants. The species I refferd to are vines that use modiffied leaves to provide shelter in turn for deffense, pollination, and nutrients. There are a whole slew of other ant plants as well, from orchids to trees.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jhupp @ June 25 2004,9:41)]Ant-plants are plants that share a symbiotic relationship with ants. The three genera reffered to by Steve L all produce a thick base filled with a network of hollow spaces that provide housing for the ants in return for deffense by the ants. The species I refferd to are vines that use modiffied leaves to provide shelter in turn for deffense, pollination, and nutrients. There are a whole slew of other ant plants as well, from orchids to trees.
Great desription j,

I grow them mounted on tree fern fiber. They seem to grow very well for me this way. I just hang them on the nepenthes baskets in the back greenhouses and they grow very well. I even have one that has a colony of ghost ants in it. Very cool plants indeed. They make great companions for the CP's.

There was an ant plant at my local greenhouse that I wanted...but it was $25 and pretty small. Very cool plant though.
smile.gif
I wonder if there are any on eBay. You can get good plant deals on eBay sometimes. I've gotten good deals on orchids from very reputable vendors.

how easy are Dischidia to start from vine cuttings?

Rattler

Supper easy, the things are absolute weeds.

lol sounds good i found a site with quite a few species cheap but they sell mostly unrooted cuttings. i may have to pick up a few species.

Rattler

Back