What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using water crystals.

Hello. Does any one have experiance with water crystals? Is it actually safe to use them with Carnivorous plants? I asume it is since they dont relese any minerals to the soil. Just wanting to know since i bought some lately but want to make sure before i use them with my cps.

Thanks

Yoav

i think they are toxic to cp's.

I spoke with a fellow that sold carnivorus plants to local businesses. One of the things he used was waterworks in his pots. He said they worked well and that the plants looked better than any of the ones that only had sphagnum as a base medium. I asked about it being toxic and he said that they would not be in the pots long enough for it to do any damage. I believe the product has to start breaking down before it causes problems. The idea was the plants would be repotted before the material broke down. I plan to try this on a few plants when I get a chance.

This topic came up last year.  Here's a link to it: Hydrogel crystals/water absorbing crystals .  If you replant in fresh media every spring after dormancy, you should be OK.  Just be aware that over time the crystals will break down.

smile.gif

BCK

Thanks very much. Have learnd. I guss i would try it only on plants wich i have extra. I have a problem sometimes watering as often as it needs.

Yoav

Back