Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Should marijuana be legalized/decriminalized

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me a presidential candidate that supports such a referendum and he gets my vote: provided he is in line with environmental issues as well.

Finch, becase Freedom is so rare, it is worth fighting for. That is the great lesson this Nation teaches the world: Freedom is a natural state of man, and only by laying down and allowing it to be chipped away, bit by bit can it be taken away. As John Paul Jones said that time in Old Virginny, "Give me Freedom, or give me death". They can kill you, but they can't take your Freedom without permission.

I'll smoke to that.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with you on freedoms mostly. What i cant tell is weather you want the freedom to smoke or want the freedom to do anything wou want. Could you clear this up for me? I mean no offence by it, ist just im not clear on what you think your freedoms should be.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copper, don't you want the total freedom to drink a substance that's harmful to you and those around you? More harmful in virtually every way than pot? As a cop, I'm sure you see the horrible damage alcoholism causes. And yet you enjoy a beer now and then, don't you?

The doctor makes valid points, though he destroys his credibility on the issue with his embrace of everything put into pill form. This country has a far bigger problem with abuse of prescription pills than with pot. And the reality is that alcohol is far more toxic, causes far more crime and violence, and harm to families and communities than pot ever will. But still, BOTH alcohol and pot should be legal, in my opinion, because of two reasons: first, freedom and liberty, and second, because at the end of the day, both provide a little bit of pleasure and relief to an overworked, overstressed, and confused populace in a relatively safe manner.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch,

What I want is the Fredom to do ANYTHING I please, as long as it does not harm the general population, who may or may not approve of what I am doing, to be free of moral dictatorship by those who share a different opinion and think to pass laws to enforce those opinions. This is known as CIvil Liberty, and it was what our country's founders meant for us to have.

What comes next: State mandated religion? Worship the Lord or face peanlty? How about a list of required duties for all citizens? How about banns on certain foods or clothing? A mandatory donation for a specific cause? Hey, we could implant a micro chip in everyone, and always know exactly where they are?
    Maybe a annual populace screening using hair strands to determine who is using what drug? We could put a magnetic trace on cars on the freeways so that speeding would automaticaly be detected. What about a list of possible marrige partners, you get to pick! Or, "Youre going to war, to kill, and you have no choice"? How about "I get to have a gun but you don't?"
    How about you cant have ____ because I think its bad for you? You fill in the blank. Pick something near and dear to you.

Do as we say, or we will lock you up, knock you up, electroshock you up until you lie down and give in.

FREEDOM is the right to do anything that does not harm the general welfare, and that is what I want.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... jez, calm down man!

and all thats not going to happen (atleast not in the recent future), uh exept perhaps that war thing. unless you move to remote locations in asia or africa, the freedom to do anything you want is as likely to happen as me flying like a bird. Not gonna happen. You do relize that as americans, we already get more freedom than many people!
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all true, Finch. It's not going to happen, and yes, we get more freedom than many people. The vast majority of people.

However, Tamlin's also right philosophically. People's expectations about what behavior government should prohibit should be limited to those things that demonstrably harm others. The ideas it give maximum liberty that's consistent with others enjoying equal rights. Sure, we make social policies and programs like the military or schools, and that involves mandatory payment, and that's a good idea near as I can tell. And we make laws against stealing and the like because it directly harms others. But as far as purely individual behaviors and beliefs, we should consider ourselves autonomous beings, in charge of ourselves and sovereign as people. This is the ideal that Tamlin is (passionately) espousing, and I think it's one with a LOT of philosophical merit.

Casplock, engaging in a little rant. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Finch, its an election year. I am impassioned, yes. Let's just put it down as "Lest we forget..." and let it go at that.
    Someone has to speak up and refresh these silly thoughts about what freedom really means, or the concept will be come antiquated. If fact, maybe it already has?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what other propaganda drives me nuts? That "truth" commercial about how one joint is the equivilent of four cigarettes. Talk about comparing apples and oranges! Your average cigarette smoker smokes, what, a pack a day or so? That's FIVE JOINTS A DAY! Gimme a break. Even the heaviest (and I mean HEAVY) smokers I've known didn't smoke more than two in a day...and that was only on the weekend. It's just another form of misdirection, and misrepresentation of the facts. Typical.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast