Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should marijuana be legalized/decriminalized

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tree terror do you mean that you think it should not be legalized? Your statement seems to indicate this, but you put that you think that it should be legalized.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, fantastic! I brew dark beers. I will have to bring you some. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, dope, or marovana is bad.
    In one word:
    NO!! Dont use it!!
    My grandad was a smoker of tobbaco.(ciggarates)
    He eventually got cancer in the liver, it was melignent.
    I watched him die. His life was gradually ebbing away. Then, on my birthday(June 2nd) he died. It was "oh, its my birthday" then, mom came in to my room, she was in floods of tears, I kind of knew, I asked her what was the matter, she said
    "Grandad has died"
    I think he wanted me to remember him, and to remember what smoking can
    do to you. He knew how much I hated it. Me and my grandma begged him to stop. He didnt stop. He died.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im saying that if you have enouth of any medicien it can be bad so why is majuwania ilegal when it is not ment to be that strong anyway although i think you should only be able to get it from the chemist cause on the street they could put what they want in a joint
    if i live for tommorow there will never be an eventfull day so go on break a leg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copper,

You have sure been through it, and I can respect your opinions. There will always be users and abusers, those with good sense and those with no sense. I raised my own child to be independent of drugs of all sorts, based on the threat of legal punishment, and also the expense. What starts out as fun can become a habit: this is the way of vice in general.
    There are many vices. Gambling is illegal in most instances, but the State lottery is fine. Alcohol is the WORST drug, demonstrated to have an addictive effect on those who carry the "alcoholic" gene, but lobby groups keep it legal. My point is, you cannot legislate these issues with success. There will always be bad men. The law cannot protect us from them, it can only punish instances of abuse - but to go from the specific case to the general is not fair! I am not that man. I know of no one who is. Even if the use of the substance is as deleterious as your list suggests (forgive me, but I remain dubious, as I have said unless I am Superman I would be dead after 35 years of use don't you think?) the law has NO right to save me from myself! If I am abusive to others, that is a crime in and of itself - there is no need to bring substance use into the equation. Beating children is wrong even if the person is stone cold sober, and should be punished. Sitting in a field listening to music and smoking some pot is not, and it should not be a punishable offence. Prohibition is not effective, and never has been. All this does is to empower the negative elements, while constraining the good. In Denmark, there are districts where the use is condoned. Outside this area, the use is not permitted and infractions bring fines. Personal use is allowed in the home, and a reasonable quantity (defined by law) may be taken from the bistro district. Possession of anything over that amount is punishable by fines. Selling without permits is in all cases illegal. Even in the condoned area, smokers must go outside now to indulge, since exposure to the environment can result in positive results in a urine test, even if the person has not directly smoked. This is reasonable. In the same district, prostitution is licensed much as the establishments selling marijuana. Working girls are certified as healthy and licensed. Selling it without a license is an offense. In the same district, heroin addicts may obtain clean needles, and drop off their used ones. A van pulls up, is opened and the drivers leave. Right there with the needles may be found contact information about rehabilitation and recovery, social assists to overcome the addiction. As a result, they have the lowest incidence of HIV in the world. Users and addicts are *not* treated as crimminals! These methods were adopted because their society recognizes that victimless crimes are going to continue, with or without this rational approach. People have always gotten high, sought sex thrills, and they always will. This is an issue of morality: a field that law should steer well clear of. Morality cannot be demanded of someone unwilling to accept those dictates.

As to my own use, I could be busted right now if someone wants to come and get me. I've been there before. It's a risk I take, and I prefer this and the paranoia that accompanies it over feeling that Big Brother has me under his thumb, even if it is for my own good. I don't sell it, I don't buy it, I don't push it, I don't flaunt it and I respect those who want no part of it. That too is part of freedom and respect. What I want to see is the same respect shown to me by my Uncle Sammy. As long as I hurt no one, it's nobody's beeswax what I do, or don't do!

Oh, rest easy. It will never be legal, but that is not because it is a harmful thing to society in and of itself, I do not accept that; it is because special interests lobby against it's legalization. What I would like to see is a decrimminilization, limited private use as in Denmark. I want to grow and appreciate this wonderful plant without fear, and share it with those who feel the same in an appropriate time and place.

One thing is for sure, the only way society can stop me from being free is to imprison me, beat me, and otherwise constrain my freedom and perogatives. So tell me, am I the victim or the crime? I am a good man, and good men do not become abusive animals because of what they take into their bodies. Such abuse comes from another quarter entirely, and is best summed up as a deficit in love, and not of necessity a drug reaction.

Thanks for your rebuttal Copper, and never fear, you will never see me passing the joint your way, LOL. I have eyes in back of my head, but if you want me, come and get me. I'll go quietly, pay my fine, do my time, and then will continue to be a good free man. Nothing short of the grave will take that away from me.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copper, we view the law differently. i dont beat my fiancees children cause its against the law, i dont do it cause common human decency says not to. a swat on the rear and send them to there room is all it usually takes to get their attention. i think the law should keep the "powerful" from taking advantage of the "weak" and thats about it. i believe in sevier punishment for violent crimes and for stuff like the enron BS. however i see no problem when some Joe Shmoe like me who has worked 50 hours a week at their job wants to smoke a joint to relax on a friday night while watching TV.

i also realize that legalizing it may or may not make a pill form of the drug cheaper, however i know enough about chemestry and herbal medicines that if it was legal i could very well grow it myself and extract the basic chemicals out in one form or another. THC isnt that hard to get out of the plant.

i am for the most part a law abiding citizen, i streach the law here and there but nothing major, i pay my taxes i work for a living and have nothing to do with wellfare or any of that stuff because between work, hunting and fishing i can keep meat on the table year round even if i do become a lil short on $, besides someone prolly needs it worse than me. i dont beat my girlfriend or her kids, alcohol doesnt make me violent besides i dont drink very often anyways. the only time im even remotly close to being violent is when someone thinks they are going to mess with my family, other than that im pretty a pretty mellow guy. if I want to smoke a joint to relieve some stress and the pain in my knees why shouldnt i be able to? im not hurting anyone except maybe my lungs. narcotics only work if i take enough to knock me loopy. marjuana seems to have a risidual effect that helps me out for a few days. i dont know if its actually killing the pain, reducing some of the swelling, a combination of both or niether but for some dang reason it works even after the "high" has worn off. just mt 2 cents
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starman and Tree Terror, you have the right of it. I don't want you to think I am encouraging you, I am not! My own son has never drunk alcohol or taken any non-prescription drug, and he has saved himself a pile of money, and is probably healthier for it. He listened to what I had to say about it, and I hope you will as well.

The issue is one of freedom, not health. My advice is to stay away from all the vices, none are good for you. There is a difference between good advice and Law though, and that is my point. Any addiction, even to something as harmless as comic books or TV is not good. Addicts seek to ease their addiction, but it rarely works. You can ease it with a "fix" but it always returns like a monkey on your back, then you need a little more and you pay a little more. For those who have no strong will (and they are many) it can lead to some deep strange waters, and much sorrow.

With substance use, the illegality of it makes sure that the drugs will be expensive. Unless one has a good strong will (and few addicts have that quality) an addiction will eat up the money that could go to enriching other parts of your life. Addictions are expensive things, and not just in terms of health. The thrill wanes, but the addiction remains.

What starts off as fun and a thrill, can become a compulsion.
    It can lead to real crime: theft, lying, cheating because the addiction can become more important than anything in the world. The worse the addiction, the more chances that this will happen.

This isn't limited to drug use. Gambling, food, sex: all can become addictive and can lead to destructive acts and behavior.

So, my advice to you is to be moderate, always. Keep a close reign on these things if and when you do experiment, and always remember addiction and vice are two edged swords, and one best not taken up at all if you don't want to be cut.

Just like I told my son, "do as I say, not as I do". You aren't me. I wish I could go back and do it differently, I would! I smoke cigarettes and THAT was the worst mistake of my life. I do not get drunk, I don't like the loss of control. Tobacco, alcohol and cocaine are the worst drugs out there: demons that can consume you, as they have so many others. So just say "no thanks" and enjoy your youth, strong bodies, and freedom from the control that addiction brings. You won't be missing anything. Make good choices now, and it will work for you in the long run.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think its a dangerous substance, however, so are nicotine and alcohaul. i think it should be legalized, but it should have age limits like tobacco and alcohaul.

i've used it, and its amazing. i've only used it once and i'm going to use it agian. IMO, theres nothing wrong with using it as long as you'r responsible. do i do other drugs? no. am i going to do other drugs? no. i dont think it's a gateway drug at all, i think nicotine is the gateway drug for people who ARE going to use drugs. i smoke, and when i first started i definately got high, i could barely walk! but now the high is only 1/100 as intense and doesn't last so long. Not all people who smoke weed are bad people, i drink ocassionally does that make me a bad person? alcohaul is alot more dangerous that delta-9 THC.

these are just my opinions.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast