Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Should marijuana be legalized/decriminalized

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] Not every marijuana user I know and have met uses meth, but every meth user I know started with marijuana. Using marijuana does not mean that there is a next step, but it happens way too often.
    You know, I hear this very oftern. Usually termed a "gateway" drug. Recently I heard something else that intrigued me. Perhaps it does not "lead" to other drugs, but rather the use or marajuana (by teens in particular) may be indicitive of a certain personality type that would be more likely to engage in dangerous activities (i.e. harder drugs, skydiving, whatever). This is not the fault of marajuana, but rather the fault of the user. It's got nothing to do with me, so why punish me for it?

Quote[/b] ]Beyond that, anything else is just plain abuse and irresponsibility. We have laws, rulkes, regulations, etc... for a reason. It makes no difference whether something appears to be victimless or is overt. It harms people, directly and indirectly, whether in the short run or the long run. when people can't seem to regulate themselves and stay away from what is harmful, you need laws to keep borderline people and the just plain incredibly shortsighted people from hurting themselves or others
    I heartily disagree. Laws should be put in place to keep people from harming others only. If a person wants to harm themselves (or risk harming themselves), that is their affair. Otherwise all these things would be illegal: Skydiving, white water rafting, football, boxing, karate, ice hockey, salt, fried food...Need I continue? My point is that personal risk is not the affair of Uncle Sam.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gateway myth is just that, a myth. That someone who takes one of the least popular drugs (meth) also took one of the most popular is no revelation, nor indication of any causative effect. Indeed, in Holland, after the decriminalizing of marijuana, there was indeed a small increase in marijuana use, but no increase in the use of other drugs. Interestingly, even with the wide availability, the use of pot by high-schoolers over there is much lower than it is here!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Interestingly, even with the wide availability, the use of pot by high-schoolers over there is much lower than it is here!
    Almost undoubtable because it does carry the same thrill when it's allowed. You're not "getting away" with anything, and there's no risk of getting caught.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose some drug dealers would try to entice their customers to try some of their other wares. After all, they are out to make a profit, and have no regard for the well being of their customers. Getting someione hooked on Coke would ensure a nice regular income, and this is all the more reason to remove this popular substance from the control monopoly that the laws afford them. Anyone can grow marijuana unless they are prevented, it is an easy growing plant. As it currently stands, all the profit from the sale of marijuana goes to the worst of the crime elements. With license and tax, these profits could be redirected into rehabilitation of the abusers of harmful drugs, towards education to the benefit of society vs the personal profit of organized crime.

It is the Law itself that generates much of the evil associated with the use of MJ. It is a self perpetuating hydra. The more restrictions, the greater the profit for black marketeers. You cannot argue with supply and demand: the popularity of MJ has been evidenced by the utter failue of the Law to curtail it, despite decades of misplaced effort, both here in the US and in other countries where the DEA has carried it's war (and these countries do NOT appreciate it) So it is absurd to continue to pour billions of dollars into a system that does nothing more than promote what it is trying to destroy. How many more decades must pass before this becomes evident to lawmakers?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reflect upon the times of alcohol prohibition. A sign of the times.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know in Holland and most of eaurope smoking marijuana is legalized, and that cuts down on other drugs... plus you can drink younger there, which means people dont have such a huge desire to do so. when alot of people turn 21 the first thing they do is drink, they do this because its such a fresh, new thing to them. I think it should to people 16 and above because of what i just said... thast my 2 cents
    \"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?\"

\"If vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all thier food?\" - Brandonk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been watching this thread with much interest. I can fully appreciate both sides which have been well articulated thus far. I really have nothing new to add.

I have three kids and I hope they grow and learn and experiment in a much safer way then I did.

When I look back on some of the choices I made when I was younger I shudder to think my own kids will sometime face those same demons.

Saying that, I have to voice one opinion; I strongly believe in decriminalization of pot. I have a hard time with the idea that someone would go to jail for possession.

To me the difference is this: Cannabis is a straight up, unprocessed herb. You grow it, dry it and it is ready for use. No extracting, no chemical manipulation, no lab processing. You can not say this about any other illegally used product. Even rudimentary opium has to be minimally processed.

THC is not prescribed as a pill, it has been synthesized but medical users donít benefit from a pill of pure THC. It is the complex, organic, molecular properties of the herb that creates the euphoric or medicinal qualities. THC is only one of those molecules.

I will be thrilled if my kids never, ever try pot or other recreational highs. I am doing my best to raise them that way.

I truly hope that any young people reading this thread will steer clear of drugs.

I do strongly believe that if an adult chooses to engage in recreational pot use, in private, responsibly, then this should not be a crime.

Respectfully,

Steve
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well said
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast