What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The most deadliest animal

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
Yes,I voted box turtle.

Jerry

hmmm... no clue here. Yeah, tell us how it kills! That might give us a little more to think on.....

Thanks,
Craig

yes that is correct, i voted for cottonmouth

Correct for me!
smile.gif

yup mine's in the right spot.

Ok I have waited long enough. It's time for the answer. I asked everybody that voted for the earthworm to send me a pm telling me why they voted for it. The reason was I wanted to know why somebody could think a earthworm can kill thousands of people. I just can't figure it out. lol

Here are the winners:
lavenderdawn
cool85k5
firewired
zpert
superimposedhope
jhaluska
God's garden
rattler_mt
Copper
PlantAKiss

Here is the answer, Eastern Box Turtle. The way it killed was it ate poisonous mushrooms. Since since Europeans at the time loved to eat turtles, they ate the box turtle very often. The poison built up in the turtles flesh, and when the settlers ate the turtle they consumed the poison and died.

Jhaluska knew the correct answer and the way that they killed.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Using the suggestion that it was a lake, I think it improves the odds that is found around or in lakes.  And using the suggestion that they keep it in a cage, and he wasn't too shy to take it out of the cage, (although I've seen crazy people take very dangerous animals out), the only 'shocking' animal really left is the Turtle which would have to have a 'weird' way to kill a person.

So here's my theory...

Eastern Box Turtle.  A hungry settler looking for a quick meal picks up the turtle and makes turtle soup.  After consuming the turtle, the people died either because they ingested the poison from the Mushrooms that the turtle ate or from the fact that they have been known to carry salmonella which create a poison...but the disease itself does not kill them.
The Eastern Box Turtle is a terrestrial turtle, it does not live in the Lake. But around it. It is also North Carolina's state reptile.

Since there was more then one person guessed the correct answer, I have to have a part two to this. I was going to ask everybody that got the correct answer to pm me with the way that it killed, But Jhaluska ruined that by posting it. If he didn't, he probably would have won.
Anyway I will ask another question and the person that answers it the best will win.

The question is:
How was Jones Lake created.

This is a somewhat trick question so be careful with your answer. Your answer doesn't have to be completely correct, I will choose the best answer that explains how the lake was created.

Pm me with your answer and I'll post the winning answer as soon as I receive a pm from everybody on the list. Too keep this from dragging on, I will set a deadline for the answers. The deadline will be 11 am tomorrow morning.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]  
Plantslikebugs
all of ^^^ CP's have a tendency to die...:p

Group: Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I voted the lizard thing just beacuse ive never heard of it and it sounds cool  

Hehe, nice try.  
smile_m_32.gif

EDIT: Ozzy beat me to it!
smile_n_32.gif

Im still goin with clown on this one they can be viciously cruel and with those huge overly sized pockets.... well they could pack alot of poison!

are you sure it aint a clown? I mean they are really vicious and them little cars they drive can be pretty fast!

img3fff635113890.jpg

img3ff7203d0754d.jpg
img40193b5e81668.gif
img4008739b186b9.jpg

Ok I have waited long enough. It's time for the answer. I asked everybody that voted for the earthworm to send me a pm telling me why they voted for it. The reason was I wanted to know why somebody could think a earthworm can kill thousands of people. I just can't figure it out. lol

What does deadly have to do with people? Did I miss something in this poll? I was going on something like this link below, how earthworms are ruining the ecosystem.

Joe

http://whyfiles.org/shorties/063worm_infest/

Go back and read the first few pages of this topic. I think it will explain a few things.

Ohhhh..you know I never saw this whole thread. I just jumped into the poll(which is locked now). I never knew it had to do with a certain situation-I just thought it was a poll for disasterous animals....
smile_n_32.gif

Before I reveal the winner I'm going to explain how Jones Lake was created. Like I said, this is somewhat of a trick question. Nobody knows how it was created. Jones Lake is a water filled Carolina bay.
water_970.jpg

Carolina bays are eerie wetland depressions scattered across the Eastern coastal plain from southern New Jersey to northern Florida. Most are perfect ovals, ringed by ridges of sand as high and dry as their interiors are low and swampy, and they are largely impenetrable, surrounded by or even filled with walls of shrubs and tangles of thorny plants. All Carolina bays are aligned the same direction, from northwest to southeast. They have high rims of white sand on the southeast side.
ccbay1.jpg

There are many theories on how they were formed. From metors, comets to ocean currents and wind patterns.
I think the comet is what caused them. If metors was the cause there would be some materiel from the metors left behind, but none have been found. I think the Earth passed through the tail of a comet. Since they are mostly made up of ice there would be no material left behind. Here's a great website that goes into great detail about each theory.
Carolina Bays
Now on to the winner. Like I said your answer didn't have to be exactly right since it wasn't know how the lake was created. I was looking for you to tell me that Jones Lake is a Carolina bay. And there are many theories on how they were created. Out of all the answers I picked the one that best explained this. I only got 3 replies. Since it would have been easy to just type  Jones lake into Google and cut and paste the answer from a web page, I thought I would get more people trying to win.
Here are the three replies I got.

cool85k5
It was created by a meteor shower,and a meteor/meteors made the crater.

jhaluska
The depressions in coastal plain of NC are called bays or bay lakes and one theory on their formation is through a meteor shower thousands of years ago.

http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/12829/places/
http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/jone/info.html

superimposedhope

Scientist have pondered the origin of the lake and many ideas have been introduced but none are widely accepted. Jones lake is actually a bay lake that is roughly 2 1/2 miles and very shallow (about 8-9ft deep).

Some of the ideas: are meteor activity
underground springs
wind/ wave action

They are still theory though. Nothing has been totally confirmed as the origin.

Joe

I think it's clear who the winner is. Superimposedhope explained it the best.
Since jhaluska  knew the answer about the turtle I was pulling for you.

Well Joe send me a pm, and I'll mail you your prize, one D.capensis seed.

Edit: Did I mention that you have to pay the $25 shipping fee?

cps? Sorry, just had to post that.
smile_m_32.gif
Turtle? How? I have always associated turtles with images of cute and cuddly...
smile_n_32.gif

Ozzy... you misspelled my name... there's another letter that goes at the end thar ^_^

Back