Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Listserve/forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hee Haaa, it WAS my last stand and I took no offense at the comment Joe. Truth is, I am neither a GREAT guy or a VILLAN, I am just William Dawnstar, grower of plants. I don't want a fan club, and I don't need a hate circle.

Peace,

William

CP2K,

I have never tested the PPM of either sand or perlite, but I rinse the holy hannah out of both until the water looks fit enough to drink before using it. I might make the assay though, just to see!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craig,

To search the Listserve, use this page from the ICPS Web Site Search The Listserve

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering- When did all this happen? I just joined the listserv and terraforums a few months ago, and I'm not a member of CPUK.

Thanks,
    Craig

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically I am a member of the List but I've never posted. Nobody there would give a rip about anything I had to say, so why bother? Back in my early CP days I checked it out and found the format hard to follow (if you're trying to read the archives) and never felt it was very hospitable to newbies. While it can be a rich source of information from some very experienced growers/scientists, the attitude and flame wars make it very unappealing. That's not to say there aren't folks there who WILL take the time to help out the inexperienced, there's lots more who can't be bothered. I find the format outdated; forum boards are much easier to navigate and to follow topics with easy reference to old topics...plus the advantage of posting photos.

I have found TF and CPUK to be much more open to those who want to learn. There is also the warmth of "community" which makes all the difference in the world--the members here are your FRIENDS. Why have dry, stale toast when you can have a warm jelly donut? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Read the Listserve and you wouldn't draw from it that these plants are a hobby that's FUN! There really aren't too many folks out there who are lucky enough to actually make a living studying/growing CPs. So the vast majority of people growing CPs are doing it out of love for the plants--for enjoyment and stewardship. I have never been quite sure of what is meant by "serious grower" and who decides who qualifies and who doesn't. (I believe I have seen that elite designation on some website somewhere...juuust can't remember where....).

I may not know taxonomy and I may not have 1,000 plants but...I'm quite serious about growing my plants and doing what I can to protect CPs for the future even if its in a small and humble fashion.

I also wish that more of the scientific community would participate here at TF. I have this odd notion that it is entirely possible to discuss taxonomy/scientific issues, help newbies AND have fun...all in the same basket.

I also thought it would have been nice to have a forum for the ICPS here...it would be such a great *interactive* means for keeping up with what is going on with the organization. (In other words, have the Listserve here updated to the more modern format).

If the "scientific folks" don't take a LITTLE time out to teach and *INSPIRE* the newbies...who will carry the "flame" for these wonderful plants on into the future? The "wise ones" grow older and will one day pass on; the young ones are coming in by the droves hungry to learn. Sharing knowledge and fostering a love for the plants will help guarantee their future in our world.

Ok...I'm done. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well when the world eventually runs out of peat (its irreplaceable) , what will happent to the cultivattion of carnivorus plants?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I joined the list serve very near the thread mentioned. What was said did not make any difference to those that know and respect Tamlin. William, I may be wrong, but it looks to me like you are still standing just fine.

I like the listserve for the most part and I very much enjoy the forum. I find that I am far more involved in the forum. I have not yet posted to the list serve. If I am low on time I check the forums first.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forums are the much more effective mode of communication, imo. I don't really get why the litserv format exists at all anymore.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,

1000 ppm in peat Boy Howdy, that is high. Higher than perlite in Rob Sacilotto's excellent article on germinating highland Nepenthes seed.
    Say, have you tried different brands to see if it's the same?
    Anyway, that is really interesting, Tamlin. Thanks for repeating that here.
    Where do you recommend getting a good meter?

Cheers,

Joe

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast