What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Listserve/forum

Hi Tamlin,

Have you ever tested the ppm of silica sand or perlite?

Hi Steve,

many thanks for pointing out my error. Of course I meant the CP listserv.

Tamlin, yes I saw how your blood was boiling. - I personally don't answer in such a situation as long as I am really angry. It is much better to calm down for a day or two and than make a cool and clever reply without getting personal. Posting the wrong words might destroy something you won't be able to fix again. Also there are few people around who are just not important to me and I am not taking too serious. So they don't get the chance to make my angry, independant of what they write.

I've read the whole thread which resulted in the ban of Matt from PFT prior it was deleted by the mods. For sure he is a very difficult guy to deal with and his arguments to support his friend Allen were not the best, to say at least. But from his second post in that thread it was obvious that it would end in tears with him not being able to accept opinions differing from his own. The moderators were not able to cope with him that time and they did an extremely bad job jumping on him. The result is known and from my point of view it was about equal fault of both parties involved.

Cheers Joachim

That is the point exactly. Anyone who isn't a social retard can disagree with a viewpoint without making it a personal vendetta. His vendetta was briought here to this forum from DAY ONE, and carried over to CPUK, and finally to the Listserve where his cronies could be called upon to back him up. I was sick of it, had enough, and let loose. There comes a time to stand up to the bullying, and that was my time. it's too bad it came on the eve of the NASC formulation, but I had enough of the listserve fools by that stage. I made my apologies to those who were exposed, but I have no apology for those who have slandered and lied about me. Now I prefer to remove myself from the reach of those sick people, and am content to let my reputation speak for itself. I will NEVER post publically on the listserve again. As for CPUK it is a case of him or me. When he comes, I go. That should be about the time of his next plant sale, and until then I will offer what I can, while I can. This whole subject is disturbing to me in the extreme. I am not an ill tempered man, nor a hateful one and I am tired of having to defend my character against considered assination. Now I am out of reach of that sort of pettieness and plan to stay out of reach.

End of topic for me.

I was PMed by someone and it occured to me that when I said "Tamlins Last Stand" it might have sounded like I was making a joke or poking fun at Tamlin. I was NOT, I just happened to have read alot of the ill posting on listserve and I just refer to Tamlin's last couple posts as that. I didn't meen to sound like anything else. I think Tamlin is a great guy.

Joe

Hee Haaa, it WAS my last stand and I took no offense at the comment Joe. Truth is, I am neither a GREAT guy or a VILLAN, I am just William Dawnstar, grower of plants. I don't want a fan club, and I don't need a hate circle.

Peace,

William

CP2K,

I have never tested the PPM of either sand or perlite, but I rinse the holy hannah out of both until the water looks fit enough to drink before using it. I might make the assay though, just to see!

Just wondering- When did all this happen? I just joined the listserv and terraforums a few months ago, and I'm not a member of CPUK.

Thanks,
Craig

Technically I am a member of the List but I've never posted.  Nobody there would give a rip about anything I had to say, so why bother?  Back in my early CP days I checked it out and found the format hard to follow (if you're trying to read the archives) and never felt it was very hospitable to newbies.  While it can be a rich source of information from some very experienced growers/scientists, the attitude and flame wars make it very unappealing.  That's not to say there aren't folks there who WILL take the time to help out the inexperienced, there's lots more who can't be bothered.  I find the format outdated; forum boards are much easier to navigate and to follow topics with easy reference to old topics...plus the advantage of posting photos.

I have found TF and CPUK to be much more open to those who want to learn.  There is also the warmth of "community" which makes all the difference in the world--the members here are your FRIENDS.  Why have dry, stale toast when you can have a warm jelly donut?  
smile.gif

Read the Listserve and you wouldn't draw from it that these plants are a hobby that's FUN!  There really aren't too many folks out there who are lucky enough to actually make a living studying/growing CPs.  So the vast majority of people growing CPs are doing it out of love for the plants--for enjoyment and stewardship.  I have never been quite sure of what is meant by "serious grower" and who decides who qualifies and who doesn't. (I believe I have seen that elite designation on some website somewhere...juuust can't remember where....).

I may not know taxonomy and I may not have 1,000 plants but...I'm quite serious about growing my plants and doing what I can to protect CPs for the future even if its in a small and humble fashion.

I also wish that more of the scientific community would participate here at TF.  I have this odd notion that it is entirely possible to discuss taxonomy/scientific issues, help newbies AND have fun...all in the same basket.

I also thought it would have been nice to have a forum for the ICPS here...it would be such a great *interactive* means for keeping up with what is going on with the organization.  (In other words, have the Listserve here updated to the more modern format).

If the "scientific folks" don't take a LITTLE time out to teach and *INSPIRE* the newbies...who will carry the "flame" for these wonderful plants on into the future?   The "wise ones" grow older and will one day pass on; the young ones are coming in by the droves hungry to learn.  Sharing knowledge and fostering a love for the plants will help guarantee their future in our world.

Ok...I'm done.  
biggrin.gif

Well when the world eventually runs out of peat (its irreplaceable) , what will happent to the cultivattion of carnivorus plants?

I joined the list serve very near the thread mentioned.  What was said did not make any difference to those that know and respect Tamlin.  William, I may be wrong, but it looks to me like you are still standing just fine.

I like the listserve for the most part and I very much enjoy the forum.  I find that I am far more involved in the forum.  I have not yet posted to the list serve.  If I am low on time I check the forums first.

Forums are the much more effective mode of communication, imo. I don't really get why the litserv format exists at all anymore.

Capslock

Tamlin,

1000 ppm in peat??? Boy Howdy, that is high. Higher than perlite in Rob Sacilotto's excellent article on germinating highland Nepenthes seed.
Say, have you tried different brands to see if it's the same?
Anyway, that is really interesting, Tamlin. Thanks for repeating that here.
Where do you recommend getting a good meter?

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

This is sort of off topic but maybe that's a good thing!

Yep. That's a high TDS. Probably why these plants do not last long term in most growers hands. They can take it for awhile, but as the various anaerobic processes continue, fixing nitrogen and even carbonates into the substrate (just as they do naturally in the lower levels of a bog), then trouble happens. The roots are attacked by many mircrorganisms both bacterial and fungal: root tips are rich in food and have a high premium. These evil meanies flourish in stagnant and static conditions, low in oxygen. This is why CPs love oxygen about their roots, and this is why light airy mixes are usually more successful (at least short term). The value of peat/sand is it does contain some essential elements lacking in pure LFS or perllite. Plants do better for me long term in peat based mixes, but as you see it takes a little work to have it just right. Too rich and you get too many "weeds" at the surface, and below the surface in the Land of the Root Tip Banquet the feast is about to begin.

I was having a conversation the other night about how I have noticed the rain immediately during a lightning storm seems to energize the plants, sparking new growth. The ozone produced by the lightning drives oxygen deep into the substrate where it acts as an anispptic about the roots, discouraging anaerobic processes (our Mean Nasties) and promoting root growth, (no attack = growth. As grow the root tips, so grow the plants). Joseph mentioned that he had been looking at hydrogen peroxide as an oxygenator. We realized that hydrogen peroxide is ozone dissolved in water! Based on these observations, I am going to try adding a small quantity of hydrogen peroxide into the final peat rinse. Drosera generally seem to love clean conditions, low Ph and good oxygen about the roots.

The TDS tester came as a gift from a friend...you should find it easily on a websearch. I rarely use mine now, and just follow my protocol regardless of peat. I feel there is peat and then there is peat, it depends on the depth from which the harvest is taken: the best peat is in the upper layers of the bog. Closer to the end of the bog can be very high in dissolved minerals (and nitrification), and this is taken as well in peat harvesting. I just don't trust any of it 100%, and rinse it all. Anyways, the TDS is about as close as I come to scientific growing. I more or less feel what is happening there in the mix, and I can tell what my plants like.

Back