6 15.00%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadliest animal

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the worm just for the sake of bein different... hm now that Ive hitthe vote button Im crushed to find out I am not different [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I guess today Ill haveto run amuck to reassure myself and everyone around to me Im unique and special [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salmonella is a bacteria not a poison, salmonellosis is the disease and the toxins produced by the bacteria cause the disease. And yes the action of the bacteria (the infection) is usually considered a disease. Things like strep throat, meningits, gonorrhoeae, syphilis, typhus, etc are diseases. Things like necrotizing faceits, toxic shock syndrome, food poisoning, dysentery are actually the effects of toxins produced by the infecting bacteria but they are still classified as diseases in many/most cases.

Technically bacteria do not produce "poisons" the produce toxins. Take my word on this, I am a microbiologist. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Now as to the issue of salmonellosis from reptiles. In general this is pure unadulterated crap. It got a big hype a few years ago when a group of kids at a zoo aquired the disease after petting a Komodo Dragon. The story hit the news which naturally blew it way out of proportion. Afterwards everyone freaked and started testing all their reptiles for the bacterial which did seem to turn up an awful lot. Here is the thing that the news didn't bother telling you. The Komodos in zoos are fed raw meat, especially poultry. Who knows what Salmonella loves to grow on? (That is a retorical question) And the high incidence of the bacteria in pet reptiles was almost exclusivly confined to iguanas and box turtles which were being fed either raw chicken or wet cat food that was simply placed in bowls in their cages and allowed to sit for the animal to eat whenever it wanted. Tests on wild turtles, snakes, lizards and all the other great herps have found that the carrier population for the bacteria is extremely low, to the extent that you are more likely to get it from a pig or cow on the farm. I personally have been handeling reptiles (and amphibians) since I was 5. It has been 22 years now and in all that time I have never once gotten ill from them. And for the record I am notorious for not washing my hands so please don't anyone say "Of course you didn't catch anything from them, you washed your hands afterwards" because I didn't (and still don't.)

'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ummm... what he said!
    \"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?\"

\"If vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all thier food?\" - Brandonk

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salmonella is NOT a poison, and it isn't exclusive to the Anole (BTW, the Anole is a humble little backyard lizard... it's not dangerous). I used to keep them, brown ones and green. But what I was saying was that all reptiles can give you Salmonella. It's a VIRUS that effects not the reptile but any human who handles a reptile that happens to have Salmonella and doesn't wash their hands with soap and water afterwards. Trust me on this. Like I said, I owned Anoles for a very long time, and I have now owned an adult male, 8 3/4'' Leopard Gecko (Eublepharis macularis... hey cool, I did that from memory) for just south of three years, and I do handle him alot, but I'm always sure to wash my hands afterwards. By the way, it is impossible to know if an individual reptile carries Salmonella, so my Leo could easily have it, but I couldn't possibly get it as long as I wash my hands after handling him. Some tips from moi: A. Never handle a reptile if you have an open wound. 2. Never touch your eyes or mouth after handling a reptile unless you have washed your hands. C. Never kiss a reptile. That's a good way to have Salmonella festering on your lips.

BTW, my Leopard Gecko caresheet is pinned in the reptiles forum.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your WAYYYYYYYYYYY more likly to get salmonella from going to the grocery store than by holding a reptile. ive had snakes for most all of my 22 years, both exotic and local. never would up with it from them. i have gotten it a few times from restaraunts, and it wasnt sushi. now take in consideration most all of the local reptiles ive caught have been so far away from a sink that i couldnt possibly wash my hands after holding them and being that i ussually carry granola bars and such with me and eat them when i feel hungry it is quite likely ive eaten food almost right after catching snakes and turtles w/o washiing my hands. ive never gotten sick from a reptile.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that Salmonella, the same virus that can be contracted from reptiles, can also be contracted from raw meat or seafood, or meat or seafood that hasn't been cooked enough. So how could it be a poison? I think I have made my point.

My grandfather is a serious germaphobic. He's paranoid about any possible germ. At restaurants, he'll often go to the bathroom and wash his hands, then come back and wash them again with hand sanitizer. And his meat is always brunt black to the core he's so paranoid. I like my steaks medium or medium-well, depending on the restaurant. Some restaurants consider "medium" almost totally rare, all red. Some consider "medium-well" almost black. Whatever they consider cooked well, but with a healthy amount of pink tone inside is what I order.

I don't believe in being overly-clean. Being overly-clean is just as unhealthy as being overly-unclean. You know why? Because if you're overly-clean all the time, and you sanitize every single suspected germ, then your immune system is totally weak, since it never experiences germs, so when you are exposed to the slightest amount of germs, your immune system can't handle it, because it hasn't been able to build up an immunity to the germ, and your body is vulnerable to the germ. It's just like everything else: if you don't experience something alot, you're not used to it, and you don't do well with it; if you don't work with your hands alot, they are tender and can be cut or hurt easily. It's the same with your immune system. One way you can get Parkinson's disease is by being too clean. What do you think vaccinations are? It's not medicine. It's a small sample amount of a sickness or disease, such at hepatitis, tetanus, flu or whatnot, so your immune system can experience it and build up a strong immunity to it. If you're overly-clean, your immune system never gets tastes of germs, therefore, when you get that germ, your immune system is totally new to it and can't fight it off. It's why if I'm in the vacancy of a person or people that are sick with a cold or something, I don't go around with my sleeve over my mouth and nose, sanitizing everything they touch. I let myself get exposed to the cold germ, so my immune system becomes even stronger to it. If I catch the cold, well, the better my immune system becomes for it, and the better it goes next time.

This is why the French rarely get sick or diseased. Other than pointless buttwashing, they're not all that clean, so their immune systems become strong and can fight sickness better than our American immune systems. To make a long story short, we're too clean.
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler, read my above post. It applies to you. Since you've exposed yourself to the Salmonella germ alot, your immune system is used to it and strong against it, so it doesn't affect you. I once heard of a man who works with rattlesnakes. He's been bitten so many times that his immune system is strong against it and can fight it off, so it doesn't affect him; keep in mind that that is slightly different in that rattlesnake vemon is a poison, not a germ, so it takes alot more for your immune system to become used to it, so it's much more impressive. Steve Irwin is like you, and probably will never be affected by Salmonella, as he rarely washes his hands after handling reptiles. BUT: if he ever gets bitten by a poisonous snake, he's in deep crap, since he's never in his life been bitten by a poinonous snake, so his immune system is weak to it.

I don't wash my hands after touching something my gecko has touched, such as his sand, waterbowl or other cagethings, because that way my immune system possibly gets a taste of the Salmonella germ, if my gecko indeed carries Salmonella, and works up a reasonable resistance to it.
    Liquid Plummer

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTG.............salmonella is a bacteria not a virus. Other than that you're right. I had an igauna for 14 yrs and like Pyro never washed afterward, I never got it.
    Poison or not, I still think that salmonella is deffinitely a thing to avoid and could very well have been a problem to settlers. I actually voted worm,but....

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast