• Pygmy Rattlesnake

6 15.00%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadliest animal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what, I dont understand a word either of you are saying, my brain hurts [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ July 08 2004,4:26)]Salmonella. It's a VIRUS that effects not the reptile but any human who handles a reptile that happens to have Salmonella and doesn't wash their hands with soap and water afterwards. Trust me on this...

A. Never handle a reptile if you have an open wound. 2. Never touch your eyes or mouth after handling a reptile unless you have washed your hands. C. Never kiss a reptile. That's a good way to have Salmonella festering on your lips.
    I do not trust you.

Salmonella is NOT a virus it is a bacteria and very few reptiles actually carry it!!! Please read things carefully and get your facts straight before you counter argue them.

I have been keeping reptiles since I was 5 (I turn 27 this month.) In that time I have had:

too many garter snakes to count (record for one summer was 157)
    too many anoles to count
    too many fence lizards to count
    20-30 leopard frogs
    50-100 toads of various species
    a corn snake (that I still have, 14 years old)
    2 horned frogs
    7 box turtles
    a black rat snake
    5 bull/gopher snakes
    2 smooth green snakes
    a green racer
    3 iguanas
    2 tokay geckos
    a dozen or so horned lizards
    10 tiger salamanders
    a Tucson banded gecko
    2 fat-tailed geckos
    4 gargoyle geckos
    a coupld dozen house geckos
    and I am sure there are a few I am forgetting

And on top of that I have handled more wild snakes, lizards, turtles, frogs, toad, salamanders, newts, etc than I could ever remember. A conservative estimate would be in the 500-600 range

In all that time I have never washed my hands after holding any of those animals. I have kissed some of them, I have been bitten more times that I can count, I have been urinated on and I have been defecated on and NOT ONCE have I ever gotten sick. In point of fact I have never in my life had salmonellosis.

As I said in my first post, the great Salmonella scare about reptiles was caused by news agencies that blew the whole topic way out of proportion (like they do with everything.) They never got all the facts and now the public has been duped into thinking that all reptiles and amphibians are absolute disease vectors. That is not the case, very few diseases can be transfered from reptiles to mammals, the gross physiologic differences make it almost impossible to survive in both radically different environments. I am not saying that reptiles do not carry Salmonella, what I am saying is that very few reptiles actually carry the disease so it is very unlikely for you to catch it from them.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTG your thinking of Bill Haast. he has also taken bites from cobras and lived w/o antivenin. but he has been injecting himself with small amounts of those venoms and many more since the 60's.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, don't jump on my back about a little mistake, Pyro. So I was wrong about that one thing. Big deal. Virus, bacteria, sickness, it's all the same to me. And don't start lecturing me on the differences.

Like I said, read my post about Rattler_mt's immunity to Salmonella. You're the same. You've probably been exposed to it a few times, so you're immune system is strong to it. I never said all reptiles carry it. I just said that some may carry it.

I know I'm risking my membership here, but I'm shocked at your immature and childish reaction to my little virus/bacteria mistake. From a moderator no less. And you say you don't trust me just because of that little mistake. So you have worked with reptiles SoOoOoOo much more than me. I really don't give a rip. Experience is experience, no matter how much you have. Look at another thing: I've ridden a horse eight times, and I've only had four official riding lessons, but I happen to have a great instructer, and I know almost everything about how to ride and control the horse, how so sit in the saddle and how to rein the horse, and how to act around the horse, and how to bridle, saddle and groom the horse, and that Western riding is just as hard and complicated, if not much more, than English riding. I may not be an expert, but I know the road and I have experience.

So fine, don't trust me. Like I said, I don't give a rip. I don't need you to trust me. Life goes on.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ July 08 2004,4:56)]Rattler, read my above post. It applies to you. Since you've exposed yourself to the Salmonella germ alot, your immune system is used to it and strong against it, so it doesn't affect you...
    No your post does not. Salmonella has hundreds of different strains (known as serotyoes,) just like E. coli or the common cold virus, and it is next to impossible to be immune to all of them. On top of that Salmonella are highly specialized at evading the host immune system which is why they can set up persistant infections in animals and people. Have you ever heard of Typhoid Mary?

The reason Rattler and myself have never gotten Salmonella is because reptiles are not really the disease vectors that the news would have you believe.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now now, did I say he was immune to everything? I didn't think so.

And I rarely trust the news either. I trust what I know is right and nothing else. Crap, I don't trust you any more than you trust me. I know you're right in areas, but I know I'm right in areas too.

By the way, re-read my last post. I edited some stuff in.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ July 08 2004,5:05)]I know I'm risking my membership here, but I'm shocked at your immature and childish reaction to my little virus/bacteria mistake. From a moderator no less.
    I don't see how you are risking your membership, I have never banned anyone for disagreeing with me and I am not about to start now. And to be honest I rather resent the implication that I would ban you for something so trite.

And I think you are going a little over the top saying I am being childish and immature. I used the BOLD type in exactly the same manner that you did so I fail to see how I am acting as you accuse. Yes, I am correcting you (perhaps you think too emphatically) but there is a huge difference between bacteria and viruses. Especially to a microbiologist like me. It is kind of like saying that cats and dogs are the same because they are both pets.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i never said i was immune to salmonella. infact i said ive had it a few times due to under cooked beef. it wasnt a nice experiance any of the times ive had a major bout with it. i get a mild case of it everyso often and can usually nail down why. its never been cause of reptiles but i get a major case every 5 years or so and a minor case about every 6 months. i should cook my meat better [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

like pyro said the reason we dont get it is cause the reptiles and such we are pullung out of the brush and ponds dont have the bacteria.
    Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast