What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you would buy

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
I am curious how many of you would buy live feeder maggots or flies? Not wild, but gut loaded hand raised.

Joe

Maggots. Not as easy to lose by flying away
smile_n_32.gif
But flies arent a problem if you pull off the wings, then they cant get out. muaahahhah im so evil

Many of us are growing/have grown fruit flies to feed our cps
biggrin.gif

theres grsshoppers everywhere at my house, its no problem for me

Well, I buy crickets over the winter, so why not maggots? I agree they would be better than flies....My wife would KILL me if I let flies out all over the house...

what wrong with mealworms?

Ug the animal shelter is loaded with flies. Whenever i catch one i hand feed the robins or rats with it, or put it in a babie phesents cage. The cute litle thing stalks and chases them
smile_m_32.gif

Well firstly variety, and I also know that flies are healthy(gutloading) and all of them are digestible where as a crickets shell is waste and when you buy crickets the food part of them is roughly half of the crickets size. I am taking up tarantula keeping and need some variety for the diet and found a great deal on 1000 at a time.
See my dilema?

Joe

what kind of Tarantula are u getting?

Avicularia avicularia "Guyanese pink toe" It's arboreal. It'll be here today and it should be 1/4" 1st instar. The tarantula thing is catching my interest quickly. I traded for a N. campanulata X veitchii

Joe

Avicularia avicularia, Pinkies? Those are pretty cool, easy too. I never kept them but I had a A. Versicolor, Died in mid-molt during its 4th or 5th instar
smile_h_32.gif
The pinktoe is on my to-get list, Tell me how it goes.

Is our society getting too lazy to go out and collect their own bugs?

i collect my own bugs on my lawn.... grasshoppers EVERYWHERE

tarantulas and Neps both are delicate to pesticides and insecticides that wild insects can carry and have an immunity to which the "soft" plants and animals and insects do not.

Joe

I got my tarantula today. It's abot 1/3" long. It has a black body and pink legs, as it matures it will be all blac with pink toes and an iridescent green to its back. It ate its first fly here today already.

Joe

If I could find maggots, I would probably sue them as fish food. That is-if they sink.

Sarracenia: I think(after hearing some people talking as I brought a bag of live blackworms up to the cashier) is

"Is society too grossed out my bugs to bother with them?"

Let me tell you sumthin about fruit flies. They are the most evil, vile, living abomination on this planet
mad.gif
! I have been at war with them for a week, and have noe sucseeded in killing every last one of them, by hand and by poison. I am sick from fly spray. They keep coming and coming like solomon's army in lord of the rings, and I fear that they may regain their numbers
smile_h_32.gif
. Be forewarned, keeping a pest of this stature should not be taken lightly.

I buy maggots. I like to let the grow into flies and them give them to my lizards. They seem to enjoy them much better when they have to chase them.
So if you're looking for somebody to split the cost pm me with the info.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ].My wife would KILL me if I let flies out all over the house...
Yes that has happened, and I'm still alive. Barely.

Back