Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I..............have witnessed something,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its possible , i guess, that a magpie could be impatient and go at a calf before its dead, but it certainly cant be normal. ANd there certainly not sinister.

In mot doubting that yor grandpaw saw what he saw but...
    never mind. Is that why you shoot them?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i shoot them when i can, different ranchers have asked me too when im on their land. however, like crows, the lil twerps are quite smart and do know what a gun is. most when they see a gun wont get within 300 yards of you if they have been shot at before. in all reality i maybe shoot 2 or 3 a year out of the 100 or more i see b/c they have been shot at before and take off at the site of a gun. if i am out walking and dont have a gun i can usually get with in 10 feet or so of them.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler, I understand what you're saying, but I really think what the man did was wrong. If he had the common sense and compassion that he seems to have for his cat, he'd learn how to be a better shot so he might actually kill the magpie instantly instead of making it suffer. And cripes, why does the cat need a bird?! The dude has enough money for a gun. Seems like he should have enough money for cat food. That bird was not for his cat.

I don't care what you're used to or how you feel towards birds, what he did was cruel and unnecessary.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how i feel twords birds? i have 10 pet ducks and 3 pet geese. i love birds of prey and shrikes, i really love shrikes. however i do love roasted pheasent and chicken too. and who says it wasnt for the cat? my grandma would have my grandfather shoot a deer and do a rough butchering of it and feed it to her barn cats over the winter. plus who said he bought the gun? maybe it was his fathers and he gave it to him a box of cheap shotgun shells can be as lil as $5 here, less if you reload. or maybe he is like me and hates this one type of particular bird and decided to give his cat a treat. if the guy was shooting in city limits than fine i do have a problem with that but as to killing a bird that has never been nor prolly never will be close to extinction......i have no problems. as to killing it with the first shot, i agree but yah no what? even the most carefull hunter will have something go wrong once in awhile. something spooks the bird just as your pulling the trigger and it moves in the split second it takes the firing pin to hit the primer and the powder to burn. it happens and cant be totally prevented.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only illegal part is that he shot a shotgun, or so you say. Any type of rifle that isnt spring powered, air powered, or CO2 powered is illegal. The law for America is that any weapon that uses gunpowder must be 200 yards from the house. I took care of the bluejay population at my house with my bb gun.... hehehe...
    At any rate, as far as I see it, the only wild animal a cat should eat is one that it killed itself. And your father is right. You do not have enough evidence, sadly.

About the magpie, I am very soprry to hear taht. I dont think I have ever seen a magpie around my house.
    \"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?\"

\"If vegans love animals so much, why do they eat all thier food?\" - Brandonk

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you eat meat? well, then you shouldn't be so disturbed.

you should watch "meet your meat" on peta.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The only illegal part is that he shot a shotgun, or so you say. Any type of rifle that isnt spring powered, air powered, or CO2 powered is illegal. The law for America is that any weapon that uses gunpowder must be 200 yards from the house. I took care of the bluejay population at my house with my bb gun.... hehehe...
    ANother law for america is that every bird exept introduced species are protected under sate and federal law, and may not be shot/ and or expoited (eggs collected, caught for pets, etc)

rattler_mt, i sort of understand your problem with the magpies.
    may i note that eye injurys are not fatal unless infected

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]to killing a bird that has never been nor prolly never will be close to extinction......i have no problems

Yor sort of right. It depends on where you live. The yelow-billed magpie is restricted to california, and past attemps to eliminate the species have caused drastic historic declines it. the species has been slowly recovering, but its not anywhere near historic levels.

Corvids ( the family that includes crows, magpies, ravens, and bluejays) are expecially succeptible to west-nile virus.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Starman. I'm sorry you had to witness the magpie being shot. I am an animal lover, and don't like to see anything get killed for any reason. Magpies are such beautiful birds. We have quite a few of them out here around our house in the country. They are not killer birds, and don't go around killing baby calves. They do tend to hang around the cows and horses, and will even sit on their backs. They are not harming them, but helping them by eating the flies that land on their backs.

As for the man that shot the bird, what goes around comes around.
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast