What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many plants do you have?

I thought it would be fun to see how many plants everyone has.  I know that some on here have a pretty large collection.  I had one venus fly trap at the beginning of this summer, and now my collection has grown to 16 plants (as soon as a few more arrive in the mail).  

8 Venus Fly traps (3 "Red dragons", 3 "Typical", 2 "Dente")
2 D. Rotundifolia
1 D. Spatulata
1 D. Aliciae
1 D. Capensis (regular leaf)
1 D. Capensis (narrow leaf)
1 D. Adelae
1 D. Capillaris "Giant Form"

Those are my plants!  My collection will continue growing as will my interest in these amazing plants.  
smile.gif

Can one just say "lots?"
I don't think most of us actually KNOW how many we have....especially with regards to certain very prolific sundews....

Um, about 25 plants all on my windowsill!

LOL! I used to keep track. Now, it's just "lots!" I'd guess its nearing a hundred.

Capslock

Hmmm,I'll say lots myself.At least a hundered or so.

Jerry

ummm how many "plants" are in a 4 inch pot of U. livida or sandersonii?
smile_n_32.gif

ill go with "lots" my link to my growlist has a list of most of the CP species i have but that doesnt include all my orchids and other stuff plus there are prolly a few CPs missing from the list.

Rattler

I know "lots" isn't really a fun answere but, I too have too many to list or remember unless I am meandering through them. around 100 cactus and succulent, 50+ random tropical houseplants and 4 Neps, 4 Sarrs, I had 2 sundews pass away
smile_h_32.gif

Joe

Oh yeah, I also collect Hybrid tea roses around 80+ different hybrids. 30 or so outside annual and perrenials of varying plants.

joe

i have about 40 species/hybrids/cultivars. i dont know how many auctual plants i have lol.

i probably have the most D. adelae. tore apart three large plants for leaf cutting and now i have hundreds of buds.

I will jump in here too. I have lots of lots, of lots plants. I collect species orchids (I am starting to work on Florida natives, some very interesting stuff here. Mostly tropicals but I have a few temperate.), xerophytes (not realy cacti, more or less Asclepiads), Tillandsia and a few other Bromeliads, carnivorus plants (mostly temperate stuff and native boggy stuff), iris (hierloom and native), and tons of southeastern natives. But since you want numbers try this on, somewhere between 3 and 5 thousand D. intermedia and fast aproaching on that on the VFTs. Freakin weeds!

WOW!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
That's alot of plants! I can't even imagine having thousands of them. How did you get so many? That seems like it would be pretty tough to take care of them all. I'm impressed.....nice work
biggrin.gif

i would guess they are growing "wild" out side.

Rattler

Do seedlings count? Then I have lots. If not, then - not enough. Check out the growlist link in the post.

All I had to do was copy and paste my growlist from my webpage.

Cephalotus follicularis - Australian Pitcher Plant
Typical

Darlingtonia californica - Cobra Lily
Typical

Dionaea muscipula - Venus Flytrap
Dente
Red Dragon
Typical

Drosera - Sundews
Drosera adelae
Drosera aliciae
Drosera capensis 'alba'
Drosera capensis 'red'
Drosera filiformis ssp. filiformis
Drosera rotundifolia
Drosera spatulata
Pygmy - D. nitidula ssp allantostigma

Drosophyllum lusitanicum - Dewy Pine
Typical

Genlisea - Corkscrew Plant
Genlisea lobata

Heliamphora - Sun pitcher
Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor - passed away, new 1 in the fall

Nepenthes - Tropical Pitcher Plant
Nepenthes bicalcarata (seedlings)
Nepenthes 'Emmarene' (khasiana x ventricosa)
Nepenthes rafflesiana
Nepenthes sanguinea
Nepenthes 'ventrata' (Nepenthes alata x ventricosa)

Nepenthes hamata - on it's way, ordered yesterday

Pinguicula - Butterworts
Pinguicula esseriana
Pinguicula grandiflora
Pinguicula lusitanica (seedlings)
Pinguicula moranensis
Pinguicula primuliflora
Pinguicula pumila (seedlings)

Sarracenia - American Pitcher Plant
Sarracenia alata
Sarracenia 'Dixie Lace'
Sarracenia Flava 'Heavy Veined'
Sarracenia leucophylla
Sarracenia leucophylla "red"
Sarracenia purpurea
Sarracenia rubra

Utricularia - Bladderworts
Utricularia gibba (aquatic)
Utricularia longifolia
Utricularia sandersonii
Utricularia tridentata

I grow thousands of plants, many thousands if you count the pygmy Drosera rosettes individually, lol. If you are willing to provide the space, conditions and skills it is amazing how many plants you can accumulate, especially if you embrace the concept of sharing without asking for profit or return. In 2001 I had not a CP to my name.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]especially if you embrace the concept of sharing without asking for profit or return.

That's pretty neat Tamlin, it is a very admirable trait you have. The world would be a better place if everyone shared this point of view.

It is happening Firewired, it is happening.  Plants are available now that were unheard of 10 years ago.  What is truely needed is for the real Players with amazing collections is to also get behind the sharing concept.  This is happening as well, but it could happen a lot more.  I am extremely happy to see the sharing ethic take root here at TF.  I f I could teach newbies one thing, this would be it.  I have had others test the "Tamlin Effect" and I have yet to hear of an example that didn't work.  "What goes around comes around" is just about a physical law, lol.  I have also managed to replace several lost species from those I had formerly shared with.  Getting the plants into cultivation means that there are just that many more chances of regaining a lost plant: a perfect insurance policy!  In addition, the friends I have made all over the world are even better than the plants!  Sharing is just the best part of of the CP hobby.  I have no regard for the guy with an awesome growlist if he has not the heart to share  it with others, or for those who regard their skills as "intellectual  property".  One thing is certain, if you want to keep your material exclusive, then do not share it with me.  Keep it all safely in your terrarium, because one I get my green thumby hands on it, it will be shared!

That many plants is all about space and time. There is a pic of my bog from the early spring in the bog garden greenhouse terrarium section.

Back