Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The federal marriage ammendent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While posting in another thread I was reminded of a great quote so I will share it here.

"The Church says the Earth is Flat,
    But I know that it is Round,
    For I have seen the Shadow On the Moon,
    And I have more Faith in a Shadow Than in the Church."
    - Ferdinand Magellan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wesley,

It is hard to argue with you as you are obviously a kind hearted, sincere person who takes his beliefs very seriously. Christians may see this issue as a "marriage" issue and some gays may seee it as a marriage issue, but I do not. I see it as an equal rights issue. I do not think that the Christian church should be forced to accept gays since their "god" believes they are an abomination and sin and I do not believe the Church should be forced to marry gays if it believes the only family is the one where the mom stays home and the dad works. I only want the USA to recognize that gay people deserve full equal rights when it comes to two people legally committing to spend the rest of the lives together as a union. The church can say this is wrong all it wants and according to its loving "god" it is wrong. But the USA is not biblical and not Christian and it is absolutely wrong for the USA to have gay union illegal. Call the union whatever you wish but it should be legal yesterday in all 50 states.

Religious people can vote. They can vote based on their beliefs and if enough people share their beliefs they will win and can pass laws that carry their beliefs. They will have one problem in the USA though. At some point their theocracy will run up against the seperation of church and state in America and no matter how many people support their POV, the Supreme Court will be forced (I hope) on principle to declare their laws unconstitutional. Bush and his fundamentalist supporters are stepping all over the line that separates church and state in America and are trying to kick sand over it to hide it so they can slip religious dogma as rational law passed the courts. Hopefully, even Conservatives will stop this evil action and judging from the Conservatives on PFT they will. Christians need to get that most straight Americans no longer live in a biblical moral context. They don't want to follow 2000 year old Roman Empire based Christian ideas of morality. American big business is as immoral as it gets. I always find it funny that Christians only see immorality in behavior when it comes to sex but the immorality of big business never gets a peep out of them. Double Standard Deluxe! Hypocritical! Pharisees!

The real issue here for Christians and what they never admit is that laws like equal rights for gays tell them that the majority of the western world no longer shares their belief that a "god" or a "jesus" is running our lives or the world and that most consider the bible just stories and lessons to try to live by. Laws like these eat at their ideological belief structure fundamentalists shout out to the world and the very real doubts they have about the literal reality of their beliefs creep out into their minds and causes confusion and stress. Doubt. Passing equal rights for gays is another law in the modern world that takes the absolute out of their "god" and places civil society -- reality itself -- above myth and religious legend. The literal interpretation of Christian beliefs has been undermined by the whole 20th century and Christians were pretty certain that at least the old straight socially accepted bigotry against homesexuals would stand and they could believe gays were an absolute abomination in their "god's" eyes. Now humanity is finally dumping that 2000 year old injustice.

Bobby

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't you see? it's beautiful. it's when two men or two women love each other SO much that they promise to take care and stay faithful to each other for the rest of their lives. it's incredible love.

are you married wesley? if so, do you remember your wedding day? it was probably the happiest day of your life. why would you want to deny is love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]if you can not give me one reason why gays can't get married that doesn't involve religion
    Here is one reason "The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife."

Marriage is marriage, the legal union of two men or two women is not marriage.

2. Marriage is unnatural. I someone can't help but feel like murdering people that doen't justify his becoming a serial murderer.

3. The constitution grants people "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". The state does not touch you just for being of a certain race, religion, etc.. However, the law was written according to moral standards. We cannot abandon every single moral in the book just for freedom. Otherwise we will have to allow stuff such as nudity too.

"to present a law for vote do to the fact your religion says its wrong violates the seperation of church and state. your talking about a law the President of the USA is interested in passing cause his religion says its bad. if thats not a violation of church and state i dont know what is. like i said its not against my religion, and i bet its not against some others. Hinduism is one i believe. your than discriminating against my religious beliefs arent you? "

So I guess we should rid ourselves of any trace of Christianity and practice humanitarianism. Wow, we got far in separating church and state.

Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]If Gay marriage did become legal, granting gays the same rights as everyone else, how would that change your life on a personal level?
    still havent seen an answer to this simple question...............
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rubrarubra, you seem to be twisting people's words.

put your self in my position, ok? if marriage was defined as the union of 2 men or women, and YOU were straight, how would you feel? i know all that gays can't reproduce naturally blahblahblah, but just answer that ONE question without making a big deal out of it.

and just because something isn't natural does NOT mean it's wrong or bad. as far as i care, anyone who opposes this cause is ignorant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 13 2004,8:13)]don't you see? it's beautiful. it's when two men or two women love each other SO much that they promise to take care and stay faithful to each other for the rest of their lives. it's incredible love.
    no one has answered this question, either. i'm still waiting. it's open to everyone. why deny us love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Wow, we got far in separating church and state.
    How would you feel if the Prez of the USA was Islamic and started trying to pass laws based on his Islamic beliefs?