Likes Likes:  0
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: The federal marriage ammendent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Well, Bush isn't Islamic so really this is a pointless question.
    Its not pointless. If you are for a law being passed that violates the constituion of these United States where exactly do you draw the line? Only if its for "Christian" views may the constitution be violated, or for any and all religions?
    I just want to know exactly where you stand. Once again, for me, this isn't an issue of gay marrige. Its an issue that our constitution is being violated. I simply can't fathom how so many people could be content with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Casper. The focus here has turned into a religious debate. It is a well presented debate but it is OFF TOPIC. The topic has to do with ammending the constitution that will allow for a discrimination that is EXPRESSLY forbidden. Morality is not the issue, personal liberty IS. Special Interest must not be allowed to affect our constitutional rights. This is WRONG!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Anyway, isn't that like good friends except sensuality added in?"
    I wanted to comment on this part. Gay lovers are just "sensual good friends"? My wife and I are best friends. And lovers. I don't see how (outside of Christianity) that my marriage is any different than a gay relationship.

By the way, here in Texas, and many other states, we have what is called "common-law" marriage. These people have never gone to a church or courthouse to get married. But if they are together for a certain time, and introduce themselves as husband and wife, then for all intents and purposes, they are married! They can get all the benefits, life insurance, etc. Not only that... without having ever been officially "married," when something turns sour, they have to get a real divorce! Lawyers, child support, alimony... Why can people that aren't offically married get benefits when gay couples can't?
    small minds discuss people;
    average minds discuss events;
    great minds discuss ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

And I totally agree that making this amendment to the Constitution directly violates the Constitution itself.

...still not sure how to do the quote correctly...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

- Benjamin Franklin September 11, 1773

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite new to this forum, and it only took me a few hours to read all of the threads under this topic! But for some reason I feel compelled to express my opinion. And please that is all that I am expressing is an opinion so I dont need any hate mail.
    First my brother is gay and I love him dearly. I hate to see how he has to live his life because of the way other people treat him just because of this difference. But I dont belive that gays should get married and this is my reasoning.
    I am a police officer and I have to work as much overtime as I can get just to pay the bills. Still some months I dont have enough money to pay the people that I need to. Does this entitle me to recieve welfare checks from my state? I have a need for the money- Without it my quality of life suffers from time to time. But fortunalty I am physically able to work and thus it prevents me from getting welfare. I can qaulify for some state help, but not actual welfare. Why Because I dont meet the qualifacations for welfare.
    I am 22 and I am a US citizen. I belive that the only 2 requirements to become President of the Unitied States are to be a US citizen and 35 years of age. Why shouldnt I be allowed to run for President? Why? Because I dont meet all of the requirements. I can run for city president or even congress, but not the President.
    I am a male and my wife will be having a baby soon. I feel that I have just as much of a bond with the baby as her. But state law gives her maternity leave from work. I get none. Why? Because I am male, I dont meet all the requirements for maternity leave. I can take sick leave from work, or vacation but not maternity.
    I guess my point is, is that I dont wish to keep hapmail reproductive organs away from anyone. (I dont see how getting married makes you a more happy person, then being in love with your partner) And that is what we hav been talking about isnt it. Happiness. I dated my girlfriend for 3 years before we got married and I am no more in love with her now or no more happy now then when we were just dating. I believe that gays should have some sort of Union equal to marriage just not under the same name. Why not marriage. Because they dont meet all the requirements. I have no doubt that they love there partner as much as i love my wife, but it is not a man and a woman so thus they dont meet the requirements. I dont not believe in religion for much of the previous reasons so I probably will upset boths sides but this is just my opinion. I wish everyone happiness. Craig
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great quote, casper!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolf9... That's what we're talking about. The benefits, not the word "marriage."

I think.... I don't know a large number of gay people. Do you guys want "marriage" or the benefits and respect that come with it?