Likes Likes:  0
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The federal marriage ammendent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finch,
    you missed the point of my post![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

buckeye,
    well..if my opinion shouldnt influence laws, and your opinion shouldnt influence laws, then I guess we both should get what we want!
    Gay marriage will become legal, and gay marriage will not become legal..
    great thinking!!
    thanks for showing me the error of my ways..your way makes so much sense,
    we will just have NO opinions effect any laws! (or was it ALL laws are based on opinions? im not sure..I think you said both..)
    well, either way, since neither one of our opinions should effect any laws, we will both get what we want! gay marriage and no gay marriage at the same time!
    thanks! thats all so clear now!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Scot

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Finch @ July 14 2004,4:15)]
    Quote[/b] ]All birds are gay, they never have hetereosexual sex, and they have survived for millions of years.

WOH-HO, whered that come from!

Most certainly not true!

This argument is not valid. Birds have matching external sex organs called Cloacas. Birds need to be areodynamic, and to have external sex organs like mammals would hinder their flight.

matching external sex organs does not translate to matching internal ones! Birds only have one hole, and they use it for everything. There are definate differences in males and females. When the Cloacas touch sperm is transferd from the male to the female. Yes the MALE, as females cant self fertilize, just as the malses cant lay eggs. Males birds dont court other male birds. Sometimes they can get confused in the species that look identicle and try to court other males, but thats not usual. telling identicle looking birds of different sexes apart... look at behavior during the breeding season. If you know whta to look for, its simple.
    Its true! One of my grans friends has 2 birds, they are both male. They regualy have sex with each other.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]So, using YOUR EXACT ARGUEMENT it would benifit this country to ban religion as a whole.
    By banning religion as a whole, you are saying that America should become a comunist country. That destroys all free thought.

Quote[/b] ]No one is saying you cant have your OPINION on any of these matters!
    So we can have an opinion, but we aren't allowed to act on that opinion in our government? Well, now, what's the point of having an opinion?

Another thing: If the President wanted a law passed and according to SOME religion out in the world it is good or even bad. Does that mean that the law can't be passed because State and religion are not supposed to mix? No matter what law is proposed there is a religion SOMEWHERE that says something about that law. All laws are religion in nature because with soooo many religions out there, there is no possible way to pass a law without there being a religion involved

For all of you guys who say that are answers aren't acceptable. Would you please answer them for us(I am assuming you asked those question because you already had the answer to them)?
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the prerequisites for laws constraining conduct ought to be that the law has a rational, demonstrable basis for constraining that conduct. For example, theft is prohibited because it violates the right to own property.

The arguement is made that gay marriage would violate some people's right to, um, I guess have others follow their religious mandates. Which doesn't seem to me to be a rational basis for a law. In fact, it seems that the right to equal justice under the law is just a tad more important than the right to make others follow your religious constraints.

Please try to understand that the First Ammendment's assurance of freedom of religion means we ALL have it. It does NOT mean that you get to foist your religion on others. That's kind of the opposite.

So, when you vote to mandate compliance with your religious notions, please be aware that you are doing something fundamentally wrong, Unconstitutional, and Unamerican.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Finch and Starman, he was having fun making up things. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] He wasn't saying its actually true.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]For example, theft is prohibited because it violates the right to own property.
    But it is also a religous law, in ALL religions.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it is true! Birds fancy male and female birds!
    My grandmas male friend finds it funny when the 2 male birds have sex.
    His wife(and one of my grandmas good friends) does not find it funny, she is disgusted, she turs away from the cage when the male birds start having sex with each other.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wesley, good point. But it is not a law based on its inclusion in religion. It's a law because it has a rational basis in protecting people's rights. If NO religion had this prohibition, it would STILL be a good idea. Even we atheists agree with you on this, and MANY other laws that have an equivalent prohibition in Christianity.

The problem is when a law has no corresponding secular basis. For example, we don't have any laws prohibiting idol worship, or graven images, or any of the other things that are purely doctrine-based, and not pluralistic community-based. Public laws that apply to everyone need to have a reason that is applicable and appropriate for everyone.

Capslock

Oh, and buckeye, the ammendment lost 48-50, not 50-48. It didn't even get a simple majority, much less the 60% it needed.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain