What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The federal marriage ammendent

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Just take a look

I am not posting this in annoyiance to gays, because they are people to. I just disagree with the possibility of same-sex-marriage. I am not trying to sart a debate, and I don't want to say anything against anyone who thinks that same-sex-marriage is ok. But I do urge anyone who doesn't agree with same-sex-marriage to look at this. As many of you may know, I am a Christian, and I know that God doesn't want same-sex-marriage. I'm not saying that he doesn't like gay people at all. He loves them very much.

TTFN,
Wes

It totally escapes me why anyone would deny the legal and financial benefits of marriage to gay families.

Rememeber, this sort of thing neither creates nor destroys gay families; they already exist, and they already are taxpaying citizens. The current proposals do not ask the question of whether there should be gay families or couples. The ONLY question is whether we treat them equally with other families or not. And for the life of me, I cannot figure out why they should be denied things like hospital visitation rights, inheritence rights, and tax benefits to help raise children. That's really all that is at stake here.

What the Christian bible says on the topic is irrelevant. Religion is a choice we make as individuals, and there is no way that laws should require adherence to any religious doctrine. Besides, the gay couples ALREADY EXIST. Why would anyone be so mean and vindictive as to deny them basic equal rights? Why would you tell a gay family that one spouse is not entitled to visit the other in a hospital?

Capslock
PS: I am not gay, but I live in San Francisco, and know tons of gay people and gay families, some with kids. You cannot come and get to know these folks without coming to the conclusion that they are good, conscientious citizens and parents.

OK, Ozzy, but what about those darn gay people! LOL!

Capslock

Hi,

For gay marriage to be illegal in the church and state SEPARATED America is hypocritical at best and a criminal act at worst. America is not a Christian police state and it is not yet ruled by the ideology of fundamentalist imagination. Gays have the same innate rights as anyone as they are no different from anyone else. How people receive sexual pleasure and love as long as they harm no one else is not the state's business or their neighbors. It is who they are and as long as they are tax paying, hard working, citizens they deserve everything everyone else gets. To deny homosexual adults anything that is not denied to other Americans is bigotry, intolerance, fear and ignorance disguised as law. One can hide that reality behind 2000 year old middle eastern moral stories and a belief in a "god" but it is bigotry, fear, ignorance and intolerence all the same. Thank goodness that people are finally making the American government correct this institutional and cruel evil that so many otherwise fine people accept as a truth based on their unacknowledged Christian intolerence disguised as love. It is also good that now so many fine people who are also gay may not have to spend their whole lives suffering under the oppression of an evil presented as religious love and morality.

Bobby

I have a question for anyone who opposes Gay marriage..
give me ONE good reason why gays should not be allowed to marry that is NOT based on the Bible or religion..
a reason that has NOTHING at all to do with the Bible or religion..
bet you cant!
and since what the Bible says has no legal standing in the laws of the USA, there is absolutely no case whatsoever for denying gays the right to marry..
they arent asking for *special* treatment, they are asking for EQUAL treatment..
its no different than allowing Blacks or Women the right to vote,
that once wasnt allowed either..

Society once said its perfectly ok for blacks to be owned as property..
we changed that because it was wrong..
society once said Blacks shouldnt have the right to vote.
We changed that because it was wrong..
society once said Women shouldnt have the right to vote.
Society once said Women shouldnt have the right to hold public office..
(white men only in all government positions..)
we changed that because it was wrong..
Society once said a black man can NOT marry a white woman..
or a White woman can NOT marry a black man..
The last of those laws were changed as recently as 1968!!
Society once said Gays should not have the right to marry..
opps..not yet..but its the last stand of prejudice and biggotry in america..
it will change too...because its just as wrong as all the rest..
Scot

Scot,
who is voting for GWB and goes to church.

i see nothing wrong with it. im not gay but being that i have a HUGE extended family i do have a couple cousins that are. i fully believe they should have every right that i do. look at the stats 50% of marrages end in divorce. in fact i think Brittnay Spears did more to ruin the "sanctity" of marrage than any gay couple. if your going to get married think about it for awhile. heck my fiancee and i have been discussing the details for 18 months. i see no difference between a marrage between a man and a woman or a man and a man or a woman and a woman. what you going to do when it is finally discovered that there is a diferance physiologically between the straight and the gay? thats no different that discriminating against some one of a different race in my book.

Rattler

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ July 12 2004,11:28)]Just take a look
I am a Christian, and I know that God doesn't want same-sex-marriage.  I'm not saying that he doesn't like gay people at all.  He loves them very much.

TTFN,
   Wes
you dont KNOW that..claiming to KNOW what God wants or doesent want is just a teeny bit arrogant dont you think??
you personally speak for God?

I am also a Christian,
and I believe that God does support same sex marriage..
why?
because He created Gays.
because He is in favor of equality.
because He is against hatred, fear, bigotry and ignorance.
because He doesnt want his followers to practice hatred, fear, bigotry and ignorance..which is exactly what many Christians are doing with this issue..
Supporting opression is very un-Christian.

I love the "WWJD" idea..because it ALWAYS works so well!
What would Jesus say about this issue?
Would he favor keeping legal rights from a group of people based ONLY on the genetic make-up they were born with?
nope..

I believe Jesus supports gay marriage.
because He is loving, kind, caring and perfect.
The so-called Christians who support biggotry are nothing like Him at all..they are the opposite.
Scot

very well put scottychaos, very well put.

Rattler

I don't personally care what gay folks do or whether they get married. If they want to be married then let them. If they don't want to then don't. I don't see why it matters to anybody else except those involved. People who don't like gays...............don't have to like or talk to them. Leave them alone if you don't like them.

Joe

Nobody discriminates against you for typing in PINK.
smile_m_32.gif

Joe

Seriously, What IF Phil took away your posting privilige because most of the males on here don't type in pink? Would that be right? Since the majority doesn't, and society says that men shouldn't like pink. Think about it. Its not too far off base.

Joe

I agree with ya, Joe. I was just chuckling at the irony of an anti-gay post made in pink ink.

It's all good, though. I support Wesley's right to his opinion, too. I'm sure he's wondering whether he should have posted by this point. But this is apparently the month of the controversial topic. Personally, I love political debate, but a lot of people don't. Hopefully, nobody gets too angry about any of this.

Capslock

Wesley, I am just showing my point. I am not trying to offend you. Besides it's certainly a splash of color on the forum.

Joe

Romans 1:22-27: Professint to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man-and birds and four-footec and creeping things. Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even the women their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men comitting what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.
Romans 1:22-27

After reading this I wonder what bible scottychaos is reading? It really looks to me that God is directly saying that it is not right to be gay.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm sure he's wondering whether he should have posted by this point.

No I really don't wonder.

I hate to see you guys pick on him, but everything you've said is so true. No offense to anyone, but I cannot understand the right-wing christian fundamentalists. I lived in VA Beach for a year, where Pat Robertson is based out of, and some of the stories I heard from locals there, about him... It just really is sad, the money he literally steals from people.

I'm not right or left, I am looking at the Word of God. If it's right or left it is because God is right or left.

I believe Scottt said to find a reason "OTHER" than bible quotes. God did NOT say that. Somebody else said that god said that. So far god has yet to write in any language. The bible I must say is a weak case for an amendment to the constitution. I too am a voter of GWB but I do NOT believe in this anti-gay thing. I am married to a woman and certainly straight but...........I have known many a gay folk and one guy and his partner had a stronger bond of 30+yrs than any straight couple I have yet to meet. I do not get worked up about this but it makes no sense why some people persue passions against others who have not harmed them, and furthermore call it the "right" thing to do.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back