So last Wednesday I got ahold of some Daconil to treat my Sarrs after losing or almost losing a number of them to that nasty fungus that rots the rhizome in zero time. I mixed up the solution according to the directions for ornamental plants and then sprayed all of them down, exactly as directed. I figured that would be the last of it and was quite happy. Friday came and I was heading out of town. Since it was predicted to be beastly hot I dropped all the pots into a baby pool and filled it with water.
I returned Sunday morning at 2am and promptly went to sleep. When I woke up around 9 I went out to pull the pots out of the pool and put them back out on the deck. Much to my dismay I found that most all the plants looked horrible. All the new pitchers were floppy and limp. Old growth was scorched or had funky wilt patches. And there was a slight film over the surface of the pool. I imediatly took all the pots out and flooded by top watering for an hour. After that I set them out and hoped that the problem was over.
I spent the next 4 hours doing yard work and when I finished I went around back to check the plants. They had all gone down hill and I decided I was left with no choice but to re-pot. When I dumped the first pot I discovered that the Daconil ad burned the roots, badly. So I dumped the soil on all the pots and then soaked the plants bare root for 24 hours. Last night I sat and re-potted all of them in new media and then for good measure I set all the pots in the pool again and filled it with clean clear water. This morning things looked okay but they are all still pretty ugly and I will be watching all of them closely for some time.
The moral of the story: Even things that are supposed to help can harm next time you think of doing somethign to your plants consider testing it out on just one to see the effects. In the long run it will save you a ton of headache and time.