Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this common in the u.s?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remember exotic pet generally means pain in the rear. they generally require special diets and there is a general lack of info on keeping them. armidillos need a special diet and zebras generally dont tame down enough to ride [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah i ws going to add. i have kept lots of "exotic" pets. never any of the mega exotics like the big cats and zebras and such. in general they require lots of speciallized care and extra time. i have 2 sugar gliders(think of a flying squirrel crossed with a opossum) they require special caging and diets that can be difficult to find if you live out in the middle of nowhere like me. having a good vet close is also a major issue. put lots of thought into it. it is not a rash desition you want to make or you or the animal or both will be sorry.

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speaking of exotic pets, i just saw on the news that the tiger named bobo (or something like that) that is the personal pet of the guy that played tarzan, escaped and is running around in florida.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I even know of one online retailer (whos been on Animal Planet shows before) who sells all sorts of venomous serpents like the Fur de Lance, Gabon Death Vipers, 10+ foot anacondas, crocodile monitors (who can get larger than the famous Komodo Dragon Monitors) etc.

One report I read stated that the trade in black market exotic/illegal species (I assume this may include plants like orchids as well) was ranked third under 1) weapons and 2) drugs. CITES admits they have no actual monetary figures or research to back up their claims. However, just from my own personal observation/web searches and visiting independent pet shops (or just newspaper classifieds) it's obvious that "exotic/illegal" animals are definately being traded on a wide scale.

I have no problem with someone owning an exotic pet so long as these "rules" (of my own conscience) are observed:
    1) Large space which resembles as closely as possible the natural habitat - whatever microclimate it may be.
    2) As little human interaction as possible
    3) Proper diet
    4) Companion animals aka mate (or mates depending upon species and size of habitat)
    5) owner must read and comprehend the care required for exotic species. -Maybe they could even be made to take a written test before they are sold a permit.

EDIT: # 6) Captive Bred! -I can't believe I left that off! If you must own a exotic frog, lizard, fish, monkey, loch ness monster or mountain yeti at least make sure it's not abducted from the wild.

If these very basic things are looked after then I see no reason one can't own something really interesting. But if you think you'd like to have a lion and black panther just as a houspets like Anton LaVey used to after he left the circus, that's just foolishness. I don't really think a lion prefers a chez lounge to slumbering on the savanah...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not all exotic pets can be captive bred. one example is the lovable hermit crab [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I even know of one online retailer (whos been on Animal Planet shows before) who sells all sorts of venomous serpents like the Fur de Lance, Gabon Death Vipers, 10+ foot anacondas, crocodile monitors (who can get larger than the famous Komodo Dragon Monitors) etc.
    there are lots of these ppl. check out www.kingsnake.com other than the croc monitors and fer de lance which im not sure on, all are readily availible captive bred. as to the others if they arent there are several closly related that are. oh yah and its gabbon vipers and death adders not gabbon death vipers. lots of venomous snakes are availible CB, crocs to do to skin farms but are harder to find other than a few common species. most of the pythons and boas are captive bred now. a few are still uncommon. Komodo dragons arent availible to private collectors i dont think but zoos and such have bred them.

Rattler

Rattler
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not looking to keep any! I was only illustrating the wild things available from this particular FL dealer who seems to know what they're doing with animals but it's their starry eyed buyers I'm wondering about.

Anyone can whip out a couple hundred bucks for some deadly snake or exotic creature but can they honestly say they can handle it?

I've been on Kingsnake before looking around but I don't actually want the responsibility that goes with these kinds of animals anymore. I bred killifishes for years and I'm tired of the responsibilities that go with maintaining habitats. A larger animal means more maintenance and care and I have other responsibilites which keep me from having spare time nowadays.

The only "exotic" animals I could see myself possibly getting into would be some CB dart frogs or red eyed tree frogs put into a large well planted, established and automated display terrarium but I will not even begin working on it until my schedule clears and I can move to a new (actual) house and figure out a way to breed fruitflies successfully year round. My cultures always crashed in summer (great killie breeder food).

Nepenthes are infinately easier and have become my new pets (other than my cat of course)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]have no problem with someone owning an exotic pet so long as these "rules" (of my own conscience) are observed:
    1) Large space which resembles as closely as possible the natural habitat - whatever microclimate it may be.
    2) As little human interaction as possible
    3) Proper diet
    4) Companion animals aka mate (or mates depending upon species and size of habitat)
    5) owner must read and comprehend the care required for exotic species. -Maybe they could even be made to take a written test before they are sold a permit.
    so many perrot keepersl leave all those out
    that makes no logic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast