What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All you great photographers...

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
I'd like to buy a new digital camera. Trouble is I have no idea what brand/model to buy. I figured I run it by you folks since I see so many stellar photos here.

My primary interest for this camera is my plants, so I'd need one with descent macro features.

Thanks for any input!

I use an Olympus 400-Z but I've had it for a good while. Its a good camera but falls a bit short in some areas. When I get my new camera, it will be a Nikon 5700. That's a GREAT camera. Ask Troy...he has one and loves it.
smile.gif

i use the canon ixus 400 model to shoot pics of my hike in mount kinabalu plus my plants i grow at home. It's not that good because it cant zoom in during video mode and it dosen't have many different types of views.

i recomend the 5.0 megapixel sony cybershot my cousin has it, it can take super macro pics plus it has many different modes.

I use the Sony DSC F-717
biggrin.gif

Oooh, I don't like the Nikon 5700, I use this at work all the time.  It's cumbersome and the autofocus bites!  Changing settings on the fly is a chore. You have to turn the camera around sideways to find the macro button, hold that down and flip the wheel at the same time to manual focus.  With the Sony, you can change your settings without ever taking your eyes off the viewfinder.  The only thing I like about the Nikon is it's flip out screen.  Do try out the Sony before spending all that money.

elgecko, those photos are fabulous! Are you using a close-up lens attachment for your macro shots? The DOF on those are awesome.

while i havent gotten it yet im looking at a Cannon Digital rebel cause it can use the lenses i have for my cannon SLR cameras. its pricy at just under $1000. im waiting on some more ppl to get some experiance with it and ill decide then if it is worth it. currently im using a Cannon rebel G and a cannon A2 and scanning the negatives on a $300 polaroid Negative scanner.

Rattler

Thanks guys! This is good stuff....keep it commin'
Elgecko, those photos are GREAT!

I have a Olympus Camedia C-740. I bought it beacause it has a 10x optical zoom (fairly rare AFAIK), is a 3 megapixel camera, has a nice macro mode, and has a built-in flash and LCD.

I love my camera, and it is better than any other I have used, but I have not used a lot of the high-end cameras, like the ones Suzanne mentioned, and the one I know Tony uses.

Here is where I keep my pictures:
http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/myplants

I looked for a macro shot to show you, but I am on dialup, and it's sooooo slow to wade through the pages, sorry. There are some in there somewhere!

Thanks Trash,  you have some really nice shots there!  I found your 2 or 3 macro photos in there (LOVE the broadband!).  Doesn't look like I need anything like 5 mega-pixels.  Based on your pics, I'd be just fine with 3.  Might go higher to 4, though, just 'cause.

trashcan, you beat me to it. I have the same camera, and it takes wonderful pictures. But at maximum zoom you really need a tri/mono-pod. But the macro mode works very well. It also has super macro! Great camera indeed! It takes very clear pics.

schloaty, 3.2 megapixels is perfect for printing up to an 8 x 11 picture. And who really needs to go beyond that. It'll take a 2048 X 1536 resolution picture, I believe. The 10x zoom is equivalent to about 380mm SLR lens. Good stuff. And with the super macro, you can get closer than 1" to take the picture. Talk about extreme close-up!

I have the Canon PowerShot A80. It's got autofocus, manual focus, macro, and it's 4 megapixels. It has so many features, and a display that folds out, so you can put the camera low, and tilt the display up so you can see what you are taking a picture of from above the camera. I've been really happy with it, and got it for about $350 at walmart.
biggrin.gif

I have 2:
a Ricoh Caplio G3, 3.2 MPixel, fantastic macro mode (1cm) and very good value for money...also does video...

(also have a Nikon Cooolpix 5400, good but pricy, and some experience needed))

firewired has a great camera. If you want something cheaper, look into the Canon A70, it doesn't have the flip out screen, but it has full manual controls
smile.gif

Thanks for the comments about my photography larry and schloaty.
"Are you using a close-up lens attachment for your macro shots? The DOF on those are awesome."
No I do not use any lenses. I use the camera macro mode which usually is a flower symbol on the camera. This allows the camera to focus very close to an object.
DOF is achieved with your F stop. The higher the F stop # the larger your DOF, (more area that will be in focus) but you sacrifice light to do it. Meaning, F8 gives you the best DOF, but your shutter speed will increase, (open longer) to make up for the loss of light entering the lens. Making camera shake harder to deal with, unless it is a very bright day, a fill flash is used, or a tripod is used.
F2 gives you the least amount of DOF, but the most light entering your lens, and quicker shutter speeds necessary to expose the picture. Typically this is what you would want to use to "stop action" shots.
Most of the time when I take pictures I set the camera to manual mode and have to give and take with DOF and shutter speed to get the exposure correct for the subject I'm photographing.
Some cameras allow you to change your ISO setting. I will not get into this because I have notice that the quality of your pictures goes down when increasing the ISO speed, with digital noise, and to me not acceptable. I always use the slowest ISO setting available.

Sorry I kind of went into a writting fit, but I will use this on another forum that ask me to write something for them a few months ago, and have been putting off.

Canon Powershot G2 ( but there are better models that came out made by Canon such as G3)

I use a Olympus 750.  It has 10x zoom, super macro mode and a "hot shoe" for auxiliary flash, which is a necessity if you are serious about any low light photography.
Some of my pics are at;

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/album01

Click on the photos once for large size and once again for original size.  The pics show the macro capability.  Check out page two and you will see the capability of the 10x zoom.  The shot was taken hand held and the planes were well above ten thousand feet.

Just ordered the Nikon D70 digital SLR... nikon Coolpix 4500 for sale cheap.
smile_m_32.gif

Back