What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All you great photographers...

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date
ive got a jvc gr-dvl767 500 x optical zoom

Got two. Olympus C730 and Olympus C8080.

Excellent cameras. Olympus is reknowned for its sharpness of the picture. The 8megpix one is excellent for macro shots but it's heavy, so a tripod is a must.

As you can see, there are many Olympus fans here.  
smile_m_32.gif

I also use an Olympus C-750 Ultrazoom, for its super Macro focusing no need to carry an extra supper micro adaptor, and standard AA size batteries, no headache over flat batteries, unlike those that use special shaped cells.

I just got the Olympus d-540 zoom for a grad present, takes great pics, and I just bough a new pic card

Olympus C-4040zoom here...  I love it.   It is a 4.13 MP.   Generally for really close pictures I use the marcro mode and +7 macro lens.    Here is a example of a photo incase you can't draw one of mine from your mind....
This is one of my only pygmy dews...  I assume you all know how big those are  
smile_m_32.gif

My pic of a pygmy dew
Andrew

EDIT: The picture is kinda big in size so I moved it to a url...
Also, this camera works for everyday stuff too. See my Sea World pics post for examples... hehe My Sea World post....

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the replies! After some exhaustive research, I'm leaning towards the HP Photosmart 945xi 5.3 mp, 8x zoom:

hp digi cam

What do y'all think?

Don't see any info on focusing distance/macro mode on that HP..
personally I would stick more with a camera company gone digital vs a computer company gone camera

T

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>I use a Canon PowerSHot G2 with 4.0 mega pixels. Sometimes I use the macro lens attachment for real small subjects to get even more fine detail.</span>

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ July 27 2004,7:42)]Don't see any info on focusing distance/macro mode on that HP..
personally I would stick more with a camera company gone digital vs a computer company gone camera

T
Excellent point however does get a good review and sample pics are impressive.

Review

The 8x zoom is really nice and the digital flash in intriguing. You can get away with less macro capability by zooming in on a small subject.. to a certain degree. Can it get a nice closeup of a Utric flower or a fungus gnat stuck in some Drosera goo??

I would check on it's minimum focus distance and or macro mode capabilities first Dave but otherwise seems nice enough.

Hey guys, while we are on the topic of Digi's here I would like to get a macro lens for my C-770 UZ, the Smacro is great, but I would like a really nice add on macro lens for it, primarily for shooting Drosera traps, flowers, and Utricularia flowers. I was thinking of Olympus's macro lens which has a 4" focusing capability.....with the Super macro's focusing range on the camera which is 2cm and the new lens, would that result in a much closer macro???

Hey Tony, good point! I reviewed the website that Dyflam posted, and it looks like it does have a macro focal ability of 10 cm (2.5" roughly). Though this is just the 945, not the 945xi....not sure if there is much difference?

photosmart specs

5.3 MP will also give you enough resolution to crop and resize (like digital zoom).

I wouldnt bother Dustin.. lot of money and even if you could get closer than 2cm your going to have problems with depth of field and lighting the subject.

Dave - 2.5" is fair.. Dyflam is correct that with 5.3mp you can take a shot from farther back and crop out all the surrounding stuff later and still have a good high resolution picture of your subject. How it will work in practice with that particular camera, I don't know for sure. You would have to play around with distance the zoom etc... And if your primarily shooting larger cps like Nepenthes etc it may not be an issue. I am gonna miss those other crappy photos though.
smile_h_32.gif
(not!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I am gonna miss those other crappy photos though. (not!)
You're VERRRRRY funny, you know that?
smile_n_32.gif

And don't be too quick to assume that a new camera will mean my photos won't suck, lol!

Hi, has anyone tried the Canon S1 IS Camera for macro shots of CPs? I'm really leaning in favour of it, even if it costs 2 times the price of a similar Olympus C730. The latter hasn't got image stabilisation and uses a SD card instead of CF. Otherwise, everything else is similar... 10X zoom, etc

Back