Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Making the constitution useless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]and you don't need a gun to defend yourself. ever heard of tasers, stun guns, and mace?
    JLAP, Interesting point. I think the crux of the matter is two fold. I understand that some people don't like guns and think they should go the way of the dodo.

However, many people are ruthless and selfserving and will not think twice about robbing your house or worse. I, with TWO blackbelts will NOT go up against a person with a gun. I don't care if I have mace, a tazer or whatever. My chances are slim to none of coming out of it alive. I like the fact that I have the right to buy a gun if I so choose.

I think it's a tad alarmist to say that the Gov't will seize control of everyone's life if we don't have guns. England is a pretty good example of a country without (many) guns, and I don't see any gov't enslavement. I don't really like this argument.

But I still think that I have the right to defend myself and my familty by whatever means nescessary. If the bad guys have guns because the don't give hoot about the law, then I am at a severe disadvantage on that front. Now that I have a 6 week old daughter, this is readily apparent.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ] totally essential 200 years ago, and not necessarily so now
    what was relevent 200 years ago isnt nececarily relevent to the present day.

personaly i dont see what the big deal is. the vast majority of guns are desinged to kill, and im assuming u dont want the non lethal type (dart guns, crowd control guns)

now the pistle can do the job just fine. what could there possibly be that you would need a semi-automatic to kill. Semi-automatics exell at mowing down many people in a short time.. Why would you possibly need a wepon like that?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 19 2004,1:42)]your right, i did say that. they had no right.

those other issues are much different, and also, guns kill people, gay marriage, freedom of religion, free speach, etc, doesn't.

and you don't need a gun to defend yourself.
    No offense, but this really bothers me. How can you toat the constitution in one arguement, but in the next say that its not that important.

The point I keep trying to drill home is simple.

If we keep allowing them to slowly erode our constitutional rights, when does it end? When will people finally wake up and see the wool being pulled over their eyes?

You throw a fit when the gov't trys to tell you who can marry and who can not, but your complacent when they tell you how you can defend yourself OR how you can hunt?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a difference. gay marriage doesn't kill people.

i support your right to bear arms, but i still think we would be better without guns. it IS your right and if you want a gun, get one, but i still think we don't need them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ July 19 2004,2:10)]i agree, capslock.

i never said that owning guns isn't an option, i said we would be better without them.

and you don't need a gun to defend yourself. ever heard of tasers, stun guns, and mace?

i guess i'm just too liberal for my own good lol.
    Rifles, including assult rifles, account for VERY little of the gun crimes in the US. So its not like this law will actually hinder an idiot from commiting a gun crime.

Once again, I don't understand how you can use the constitution in one arguement, then the next breath say that its not that important.

Regardless of how you feel about guns, it is a constitutional right for us to own them.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't be a popular view but anything that limits the availability of guns, I'm all for. The vast majority of people do not NEED a gun. If you hunt for food, fine. Otherwise, forget it. They are too dangerous and cause much pain, injury, grief and death. (And don't sling out that "guns don't kill, people do" crap. Guns are instruments made purely for destruction). They do far more harm than good.

I know a ton of gun owners and my entire life I've never known ONE person who has needed to draw a weapon to defend their home or family. Yet that's what everyone says..."I need to defend myself." And everyone says "My guns are safe...no child can get to them.", yet every day there reports in the news of children killed playing with guns. If all you gun-totin' folk out there have your guns safely locked away, how are all these kids getting killed?? Its all too common. For the "right to bear arms," many families out there will cry a river of tears for loss of their child. What ordinary citizen NEEDS an assault rifle?? That's not a DEfense weapon...its an OFfense weapon.

I hate guns. Take them away. Dead children, murder, domestic violence murders, robberies, hunting accidents... There are many countries who don't allow them and their crime statistics are no higher than ours.

Guns. UGH. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

I guess I'd better get a gun to defend myself against the onslaught of gun-lovin' members jumping on me. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys should watch bowling for columbine, they have a really relevent cartoon about how americans freak out and buy guns to defend themselves when they don't need it.

amen PAK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]If we keep allowing them to slowly erode our constitutional rights, when does it end? When will people finally wake up and see the wool being pulled over their eyes?
    Casper, classic debate fallisy alert!! BWEEP BWEEP BWEEP! The "slippery slope" argument is a fallisy because it does not directly adress the issue, but rather uses the fear of a possibility that is NOT directly related to the issue. It's an emotional argument, not a logical one.

I'm on your side on this one, but I understand PAK's reservations. I am all in favor of strick control, but we should nevertheless be allowed to own a gun.

Quote[/b] ]now the pistle can do the job just fine. what could there possibly be that you would need a semi-automatic to kill. Semi-automatics exell at mowing down many people in a short time.. Why would you possibly need a wepon like that?
    I don't know much about guns, but I think that more guns qualify as "semi-automatic" than you think, Finch. I beleive (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) that a semi-automatic weapon is a gun that fires one round per depression of the trigger until the clip is empty. Most guns these days, (except revolvers and shotguns?) are semi-automatic.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast