Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Making the constitution useless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it that the gov't is so blatently trying to take away our constitution little by little?

Take a look at this new bill that Kerry is co-sponsoring. Now, Bush isn't any better with his Patriot act, but Kerry has been on both sides of that so I don't really know how he feels about it. I do, however, know that he respects the constitution no more than the current office.

Senate Bill 1431 is the single biggest threat to the Constitution currently in the Senate. It is labeled the `Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2003'. I encourage you to go read it for yourself.

Senate Bill 1431:

extends the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban.
    redefines what a 'semiautomatic assault weapon' (SAW) is to include all 'post-ban' firearms plus many more greatly expanding the pool of firearms no longer available to the general public.
    makes all firearms 'substantially similar' to SAWs to be SAWs also.
    makes all semiautomatic shotguns into SAWs, as all designs are derivative works of military/police firearms.
    makes private transfers of SAWs illegal.
    makes repair of existing guns illegal by preventing parts availability.
    empowers the Attorney General to define new SAWs that would then be illegal for further consumer manufacture.
    makes transfer of any large capacity magazines illegal, even to family members.
    plus more.

Now, if you are still comfortable, recognize that this has to do with a lot more than just AR-15s, Colt Match Target Rifles or any of the other black rifles. The Attorney General decides what guns are SAWs. If a firearm is used by the military or law enforcement, there is a presumption that it is an SAW. Then all derivative firearms become SAWs under the sweeping definition.

If this were not enough, by empowering the Attorney General as this law does, Congress codifies the concept that the Second Amendment only covers 'sporting arms'. Additionally, our Second Amendment rights will now be interpreted by a political appointee. Do you want a Janet Reno deciding what guns you can and can not have?

This bill is currently sitting in the Judiciary Committee. John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, Charles Schumer and ten others are all cosponsors of this bill. If enacted, it has no automatic expiration date.

The patriot act
    Religously motivated amendments (at least attempts)
    and now this

Whats next?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Whats next?
    I don't want to see whats next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great - let the government slowly take away our means to defend ourselves, until the military and law enforcement have the power to enforce anything they want. Back in the days when the constitution was written, people were purposely allowed to own firearms and trained to use them, so that we would have a militia instead of the military...
    Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you nailed it on the head Casper. most dont realize that the original Clinton "assault weapons" ban just banned guns based on cosmetics. in other words it said nothing about how the rifle functioned just what it looked like. to top it off those rifles that were banned according to several well funded studies showed that before the ban they were used in less than 5% of all violent crimes in volving guns and that percentage has stayed the same after the ban. the ban also had nothing to do with automatic weapons which have been regulated since the 1920's or so.

whats next a ban on my pump and lever action hunting rifles? i can work them about as fast as someone with a semi-auto, prolly more acuratly too. how about the classic and long lived Browning BAR hunting rifle? they are trying to turn us into the next Britain or Austrailia(please i mean no offence to members here who live in these countries, your government out lawed the guns not you). also where will my Lee-Enfield 303 wind up? with l bit of training this bolt action can be operated about as fast as a full auto. there was a group of i believe British soldiers during one of the world wars that got good enough with them that the enemy SWORE up and down they were being attacked with fully automatic weapons. and ppl on here have said gun bans arent a big deal? this one will affect the AVERAGE AMERICAN HUNTER!

Rattler
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Right To Bear Arms is totally needed, since a standing militia with the ability to stand up to a government gone bad was seen as essential by the forefather's of our nation. Oh, there is little enough room for a true revolution even if it was mandated by a truly corrupt administration: the Vietnam demonstrations and Kent State proved that! We are already controlled and there will be no "peoples revolution" no matter what our lot is, with or without weapons. Should this Bill pass, we will have proven ourselves a nation of sheep free to roam the limits dictated to us as long as we provide regular amounts of wool and milk, but that is not freedom as our forefather's understood it, or as I reckon it!

A society incapable of defending itself is powerless.

As for me personally, the day that Bill passes to law is the day I seek a SAW on the black market along with whatever true patriots are left here in the Home of the Brave.

Will someone PLEASE put Bush out of office while I still have some shred of National Pride left in me? Can we please get rid of this administration while there is still a Constitution left and some untouched habitat...........

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rubrarubra @ July 19 2004,10:38)]Great - let the government slowly take away our means to defend ourselves, until the military and law enforcement have the power to enforce anything they want. Back in the days when the constitution was written, people were purposely allowed to own firearms and trained to use them, so that we would have a militia instead of the military...
    Peter
    A milita? Wouldn't it be a bit dangerous - Mafia...bt I do agree that the government has no right to take way all your, uhm, right, but only to a precautionary level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I agree with the sentiments here. But let's be honest about it and not devolve into hyperbole. The governemnt already controls what weapons you can have and what you can't. You can't have a nuclear bomb. You can't have a hand grenade. You can't have a fully automatic weapon. But did that mean we can't be armed? Did that violate our Constitutional rights? I don't see anyone from the GOP arguing that we need to extend the 2nd ammendment to fully automatic weapons.

So, the questions is simply where one draws the line. The assault weapons ban from before was poorly written and didn't correctly define the targets of the legislation, and was easily bypassed by cosmetic and minor modifications. So, this simply restores the original intent of the legislation. I don't see it as a Constitutional crisis by any means.

However, I think the original assault weapons ban was foolish to begin with. So-called "assault weapons" are not the problem in this country. Far, far more people are killed by handguns, so it seems that the ban was made to appeal to people's emotions and prejudices. It should never have been passed in the first place. And I, like many here, will probably acquire one as soon as it looks like the ban will pass.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]You can't have a nuclear bomb. You can't have a hand grenade. You can't have a fully automatic weapon.
    And why not? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Might I add that singapore is much much much more strict on weapons. At least some countries you can own arms if you have a license, but here only the police can have them. On the good side, singapore's a safe place. But the control the government has is just tooooo much, I would say. If they find you with a weapon, they'd make you wish you've never been born - black marks all over your record, jail as your home, pretty gruesome caning - oh the humanity!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Some ppl say you faint after 3 strokes or less, is it as bad in the US? I think not... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

Jason

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast